Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2003, 12:20 PM   #51
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Bucc,

I believe the point is you can't please everbody...

I'm personally concerned with the lack of 2 point conversions, special team plays.. lack of play choices in general... as i do like to call my own plays (i'm a high school coach.. sue me for liking to call plays :P

I mean, i would personally think any Football sim would want to have those things in at all costs.. 1st generation or 14th generation. Right now if i was to patch together pieces to make a perfect game i'd probably slap tpf's draft and contract negotiation/player interaction into fof2k4.. that would do it for me
i'd probably never leave my computer and bulk up to look like the high school version of ralph friedgen

Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 12:25 PM   #52
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by maximus

My god, what a keen concise and cutting observation. I've been trying to figure out some sort of reasoned response but I'm only offered a pallette of 12 responses to choose from and as you cleverly avoided using any words or meaningful statements it's really hard to come back with a resounding retort to the dreaded

You're a genius. I guess you win. Ben, you better shut the board down now, we've met our match.

Sorry, but I've just tried to post two meaningful and quite long responses and had my computer and the internet screw me over twice and I'm so mad I could actually hurt someone really bad and when I can finally get online and try and compose my thoughts yet again I see that I needn't have bothered because some shitheel could just post rolleyes and consider it some kind of response.

I'm not pissed at you but I am fucking upset at anyone who has the technological ability and presumably the mental ability to form a cogent argument yet posts a fucking flippant rolleyes while someone who is actually trying to have some sort of intelligent input and meaningful dialog gets screwed over twice then gets blessed with your bullshit no thought asswipe rolleyes.

Fuck you and I hope your life is a living hell for all eternity you roll eyes motherfucker.

Sorry, but I just had to vent. I'm so pissed I can't even see straight and your irrelevant ass roll eyes post was the last fucking straw. I'll apologize later as this is harsh but fuck you, you no thought, roll eyes posting good for nothing asshole. Do you have a fucking thought or is your mouse stuck in one place and all you could do is click asshole?

Fuck you [ had to cut some rolleyes because some other shit for brains had to decide that there were too many emoticons in the message. Must be mr freaking spock or somebody ]

Yes, I'll regret this later and yes I'll be sorry in a way but I'm fucking getting drunk and you know what? I'll be sorry I said it but it's something I really mean and not just or really to you but to every fool who does this crap.

Why the fuck can't you speak your thoughts like a man and why can't you use a rolleyes as emphasis like it's intended? It's not an entire thought idiot it complements a thought.

Well, I guess you'd have to have a thought in the first place....

I'm going to bed. A pox on both your houses.!!!!!!!!!!!!

See, a thought then an emphasis. This isn't fucking brain surgery.

Oh, and to whatever his name is aka somethingorother playa, this is exactly what Marti would have said too so get over it.

The last part was a joke and does make me feel better but I'm still pissed and it's at that asswipe Al Gore who invented the internet but put in no safeguards whatsoever to protect hours of labor.

Shit, I'd better stop. I'm beginning to have fun. Really, no offense intended unless you take offense at doing stupid shit. I don't or I'd never have posted this which is admittedly stupid shit.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:29 PM   #53
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
I understand having to tweak stats, having some issues with run time errors and such, but to not include 2pt conversions, onside kicks and such is the same type of thing as excluding trades or the draft. These things are very important to the game and should be there at the start.

I agree Afoci. I was also disappointed that these weren't in the release. I can tell you that when this was first found out by alot of the buyers, they were not happy. However, Arlie and Joe jumped right on it and it was kinds funny because Arlie was play testing a game and he was losing. He then rallied back and scored a TD. However, he could only go for the the XP and not the 2pt conversion, so he lost the game by one point. This was good news when Joe wrote this. It served Arlie right.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 12:31 PM   #54
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Axxon

My god, what a keen concise and cutting observation. I've been trying to figure out some sort of reasoned response but I'm only offered a pallette of 12 responses to choose from and as you cleverly avoided using any words or meaningful statements it's really hard to come back with a resounding retort to the dreaded

You're a genius. I guess you win. Ben, you better shut the board down now, we've met our match.

Sorry, but I've just tried to post two meaningful and quite long responses and had my computer and the internet screw me over twice and I'm so mad I could actually hurt someone really bad and when I can finally get online and try and compose my thoughts yet again I see that I needn't have bothered because some shitheel could just post rolleyes and consider it some kind of response.

I'm not pissed at you but I am fucking upset at anyone who has the technological ability and presumably the mental ability to form a cogent argument yet posts a fucking flippant rolleyes while someone who is actually trying to have some sort of intelligent input and meaningful dialog gets screwed over twice then gets blessed with your bullshit no thought asswipe rolleyes.

Fuck you and I hope your life is a living hell for all eternity you roll eyes motherfucker.

Sorry, but I just had to vent. I'm so pissed I can't even see straight and your irrelevant ass roll eyes post was the last fucking straw. I'll apologize later as this is harsh but fuck you, you no thought, roll eyes posting good for nothing asshole. Do you have a fucking thought or is your mouse stuck in one place and all you could do is click asshole?

Fuck you [ had to cut some rolleyes because some other shit for brains had to decide that there were too many emoticons in the message. Must be mr freaking spock or somebody ]

Yes, I'll regret this later and yes I'll be sorry in a way but I'm fucking getting drunk and you know what? I'll be sorry I said it but it's something I really mean and not just or really to you but to every fool who does this crap.

Why the fuck can't you speak your thoughts like a man and why can't you use a rolleyes as emphasis like it's intended? It's not an entire thought idiot it complements a thought.

Well, I guess you'd have to have a thought in the first place....

I'm going to bed. A pox on both your houses.!!!!!!!!!!!!

See, a thought then an emphasis. This isn't fucking brain surgery.

Oh, and to whatever his name is aka somethingorother playa, this is exactly what Marti would have said too so get over it.

The last part was a joke and does make me feel better but I'm still pissed and it's at that asswipe Al Gore who invented the internet but put in no safeguards whatsoever to protect hours of labor.

Shit, I'd better stop. I'm beginning to have fun. Really, no offense intended unless you take offense at doing stupid shit. I don't or I'd never have posted this which is admittedly stupid shit.

Old 12-26-2003, 12:34 PM   #55
Axxon
Pro Starter

Heh, I like you maximus, no matter what anybody says about you.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:35 PM   #56
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Fucking elitists
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 12:36 PM   #57
Axxon
Pro Starter

Kirby Puckett????
Old 12-26-2003, 12:36 PM   #58
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Mel Kiper's Hair

I'm so sick of you using that "it's a 1st generation title" crutch. I guess you guys really had no intention of providing quality, you were completely happy with mediocrity.

...... and still tell us you weren't just trying to grab our Christmas money.

This was just another money grab, just like every other of your releases.

Axxon, my roll eyes was towards this. These words are just plain dumb.

"Crutch" & "just trying to grab our Christmas money." - Something a punk kid would say. These are worthless insults. However, Axxon, you wouldn't think that, now would you.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:37 PM   #59
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Axxon
Heh, I like you maximus, no matter what anybody says about you.

I like you too.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:39 PM   #60
Axxon
Pro Starter

Hey, I've supported TPF and many other "first generation" games so yes, I'd consider them worthless insults but at least they're in words not simply short hand emoticons.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:39 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think Arlie's post has helped me put my finger on something that bothers me -- they seem to have things out of sequence.

Currently, there's hype followed by a good product (several patches down the line)

That's backwards IMO.

Maybe this handy checklist will help:

1)Get the simple stuff right first.
2)Then add the bells & whistles, making sure they work.
3)Then hype the product to the moon and back.

Seems to me that might cut down on the negative reactions quite a bit.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:41 PM   #62
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragone
Right now if i was to patch together pieces to make a perfect game i'd probably slap tpf's draft and contract negotiation/player interaction into fof2k4..

I would go along with that. I don't play FOF because the level of immersion for me is about zero, thus it becomes a boring simulation. However, I recognize the strength of the "engine" and being a GM-level player, I want what TPF appears to present in the draft, negotiations, free agenting and other interactive feedbacks. With those things being more important to me, I won't really care how it comes up with a 24-10 win or a 10-6 season, as long as it is reasonable.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 12:42 PM   #63
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
I would go along with that. I don't play FOF because the level of immersion for me is about zero, thus it becomes a boring simulation.

I wouldn't say that around here.

Last edited by maximus : 12-26-2003 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:44 PM   #64
TheCount
n00b

I like the underdog so i will play TPF, its looks like FOF is so good it cant get any better..........Thanks guys you helped alot

Last edited by TheCount : 12-26-2003 at 12:44 PM.
TheCount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 12:48 PM   #65
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I would go along with that. I don't play FOF because the level of immersion for me is about zero, thus it becomes a boring simulation. However, I recognize the strength of the "engine" and being a GM-level player, I want what TPF appears to present in the draft, negotiations, free agenting and other interactive feedbacks. With those things being more important to me, I won't really care how it comes up with a 24-10 win or a 10-6 season, as long as it is reasonable.

I posted that to me FOF2k4 is the better business sim and TPF was the better football sim. I know that you haven't played TPF but does the part about FOF hit home to you??

I love good business sims so I love the game but TPF is far more immersive as a football sim even as a first generation to me.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:52 PM   #66
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA

For the first time EVER in record history, me and Jon are in complete agreement. (*Checks to see if frogs are falling from the sky*)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 01:05 PM   #67
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
For the first time EVER in record history, me and Jon are in complete agreement. (*Checks to see if frogs are falling from the sky*)

I really hope that frogs falling is a localized New Jersey thing as I've never really thought much less worried about them falling from the sky.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:44 PM   #68
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Believe me if I was falling from the sky you'd hear it after pigging out yesterday.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:41 PM   #69
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Killebrew, nice post.

Quote:
Originally posted by Arles
We don't control posts from Jason anymore than we control posts from Sky Dog (both Beta team members). The BETA team is not "controlled" by .400 in everything they say. Outside of our NDA, they are free to say what they like. Some people are excited about TPF, maybe even a little over-excited at times. But, that's going to happen with a first generation title with promise. I remember how pumped I was when FOF and Baseball Mogul first came out - why deny that to others on this title?

So, another interesting question is why are some people so upset when people enjoy TPF and post what an exciting and fun game they think it is?

Arlie

Maybe it's my fault. I look at beta testers through different eyes than that of a general forum member. I certainly don't want to hear bashing about another game I enjoy. Preaching great things about something you have been part of is one thing, but why things like "Is this better than FOF?" (I know those are not his exact words, but if you read it, you get the picture.) I look to you guys for insight on what TPF does that's good or different from most sims....

I've never bashed TPF, so I hope you don't get that impression. I bought TDCB, and I plan on getting TPF (I am a graphics nut - 7 logo packs for FOF? ) later down the road, just like TDCB.

I think it's calming down on both forums and it's good to see people frequenting both places..

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 03:45 PM   #70
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally posted by Killebrew
Granted, what some of these over zealous people say is beyond your control, but in certain cases it would be wise to attempt to put a muzzle on some posters that hurt TPF & 400 SS by posts that attempt to intimidate posters who are not praising the game. It actually looks like this has been done the last few days at the 400 forum already, as several of the worst offenders have wisely stepped away from some of these unnecessary confrontations. This same kind of scenario has taken place on the OOTP boards in the past, and I know that in some instances posters were advised by the company to take it easy in their responses to complaints.

400 is in a tough position right now but if a good % of the problems are corrected in a timely manner I believe many of the "complainers" will turn out to be strong supporters of the game, that is what happened with OOTP anyway. That means as satisfied customers begin to far outnumber the unsatisfied customers this forum complaint issue should take care of itself.

I think this is very well put. If we censor some of the overzealous people - there's an outcry that .400 sensors their board when any criticism occurs (see threads three weeks ago for this). If we don't sensor, then numerous flame fests happen from time to time and they often denegrate into personal attack - in which case we get asked why we didn't shut post X or Y down.

Our stance is that praise or criticism, when done in good taste, is fine. But, once people start stepping over the line, it becomes counterproductive and people end up saying things they regret later. I guess, in that regard, we are a little like Ben with FOF.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:54 PM   #71
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Arlie,

I would like to chime and thanks you for making a great season mode. But your offseason is giving me fits I can't get past the draft for the life of me. I am not a .400 fanboy by any means but this game is getting heavy rotation on my PC ( Although I have to keep doing season one over and over). If you fix that draft problem I posted on yall board I would be one happy camper.

noop
Old 12-26-2003, 03:59 PM   #72
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Ok here is the deal.

There were a lot of people on the fence with FOF5 after FOF4. After some feedback started coming in, people who were on the fence either took a chance and tried it or didnt.

My main problem with .400ss thus far isn't the sims themselves, it is the state in which they are first released. Once Tournament Dreams was fixed up, it turned out to be a fun game for me. But I got burned out waiting for it to be fixed up enough that I would be satisfied.

This is why I am taking the approach with TPF that I am.

Now I have read that the majority of people who bought this game after a patch are not having many crashes. That is good.

My other smaller problem with .400ss is simply an advertising problem. If you are going to tell me what made the cut, then you should also tell me what didn't if it is important to the foundation of the actual sim itself.

If I assume that the sim engine reflects the NFL from 2000-2003 (as advertised), then shouldn't I assume that the basic rules to produce said results are in the engine? Am I way off base here?

I am also a little puzzled at substitutions. Individual substitutions are in my mind very important for specific situations. To me, an entire second team subbing is a bandaid. The idea that subbing was not in there to begin with is puzzling to me. Why? Because this sim has been in development for a long long time.

Now these are things that are important to me and that is why I will hold off until said things are introduced or fixed.

-fanboy
Old 12-26-2003, 04:11 PM   #73
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
I think Arlie's post has helped me put my finger on something that bothers me -- they seem to have things out of sequence.

Currently, there's hype followed by a good product (several patches down the line)

That's backwards IMO.

It doesn't matter. If we would have released a game without RFA tags, no play calling, a limited offseason and maybe no "enhanced draft option" - gues what? People would have still provided a negative reaction because some of those "much needed" features are not in the game. Look at the 2 point conversions. They occur in maybe 15-20% of all NFL games. They weren't even in the NFL till the mid-90s. Yet, if you read the comments on these not being in the game - you see people comparing them to 3-pointers (10-15 a game) and Extra Points (5-6 a game) in importance. Now, I think we can all agree that 2-point conversions should be in the game and I will be adding them into TPF next week. But, you see the level of hyperbole you get on something not in the game. Who's to say that same level wouldn't be there if I cut a complicated FA system or didn't allow playcalling to have a more "manageable" first release.

The point is you can't win on this issue with a new release. Markus and Jim took their lumps on their first releases for not having thing done perfectly, and I am certainly prepared to take mine on TPF. But, the fact that I was as ambitious in feature sets means I can fix most of the concerns (2-points, Onside kicks, some stat issues on RB catches) fairly easily in a patch.

If I would have taken the "give them 40% of what they want but make sure it's perfect" -

A) It wouldn't have been perfect. There's no way on a first release you can figure ever possible error that will occur with 2 developers and 8-10 BETA guys.
B) When people made good points on needed features (ie, more indepth FA or better draft/trade AI), I would have been unable to add them and made them wait until 2004 for a new version and had them fork over another $35.

So, my choice was to do as best I can with the initial release - but make the game flexibile enough to be changed when fans have good ideas. I have an entirely editable MS Access-Style DB that is not password protected and accessible by any TPF player. In this DB every player stat, draft pick, coach/assistant coach stat, and league history information for any year is available. Retired playes can be linked and you can get a year-by-year history for any player ever to play the game. I did this because I knew people would have good ideas for possible mods and wanted the game to be accessible.

In the end, there's no "right way" to do a first release game, but there are plenty of ways that will garner criticism. So, I did in a way that I thought would end up with a fan getting the most value for their $35 spent.

Arlie
Old 12-26-2003, 04:22 PM   #74
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
It doesn't matter. If we would have released a game without RFA tags, no play calling, a limited offseason and maybe no "enhanced draft option" - gues what? People would have still provided a negative reaction because some of those "much needed" features are not in the game. Look at the 2 point conversions. They occur in maybe 15-20% of all NFL games. They weren't even in the NFL till the mid-90s. Yet, if you read the comments on these not being in the game - you see people comparing them to 3-pointers (10-15 a game) and Extra Points (5-6 a game) in importance. Now, I think we can all agree that 2-point conversions should be in the game and I will be adding them into TPF next week. But, you see the level of hyperbole you get on something not in the game. Who's to say that same level wouldn't be there if I cut a complicated FA system or didn't allow playcalling to have a more "manageable" first release.

The point is you can't win on this issue with a new release.

Sure you can. Simply say they are not in the sim initially but are coming. Then people know what to expect beforehand. I don't think that is an unrealistic approach.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:32 PM   #75
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Name one feature on our website the day of the release that was not in the game? There isn't one. Now, we didn't go through and list every possible thing someone would want that didn't make the cut. The point is that not being able to sub didn't bother me or the BETA team. With the detailed level of the depth chart, we didn't see the need for the added complexity in the first version. If you want a certain RB on third down, a TE on passing downs, a DE on passing downs, a runner on short yardage, a LB in the nickel and all the "situational" spots in the game - set it in the depth chart. It's very rare in any non-blowout NFL game where a team will simply pull a healthy player from the game. Therefore, we didn't see it as a primary feature. Now, once people brought up the idea of playing their young guys in a blowout, I decided to allow a "rest starters" option that would allow that.

The 2-point conversions and onside kicks is an issue I am not going to defend. I agree with the fans on this and that's why it will be in a patch next week. But, I think that with the level of depth charts in TPF, that having individual game substitutions is not a "must-have" for most TPF fans.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:38 PM   #76
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

dola

Just as an example, it was announced that customizable league sizes didn't make the cut. The initial reaction was at first disappointment but when announced it was going to be worked on and introduced people generally said "ok cool" over there.

The above is a superficial (in my opinion of course) feature and not one that would sway my decision either way. The ones I mentioned above in my mind have a more direct impact on the focus of the sim itself. Maybe no one else cares about those, I don't know, I do not think for them.

That is where I personally am coming from.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:12 PM   #77
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Name one feature on our website the day of the release that was not in the game? There isn't one. Now, we didn't go through and list every possible thing someone would want that didn't make the cut. The point is that not being able to sub didn't bother me or the BETA team. With the detailed level of the depth chart, we didn't see the need for the added complexity in the first version. If you want a certain RB on third down, a TE on passing downs, a DE on passing downs, a runner on short yardage, a LB in the nickel and all the "situational" spots in the game - set it in the depth chart. It's very rare in any non-blowout NFL game where a team will simply pull a healthy player from the game. Therefore, we didn't see it as a primary feature. Now, once people brought up the idea of playing their young guys in a blowout, I decided to allow a "rest starters" option that would allow that.

The 2-point conversions and onside kicks is an issue I am not going to defend. I agree with the fans on this and that's why it will be in a patch next week. But, I think that with the level of depth charts in TPF, that having individual game substitutions is not a "must-have" for most TPF fans.

Fair enough. This is just a difference in opinion of intregal sim elements in which I have absolutely no desire to get in a spat over. In the end, your opinion is the one that matters with the product.

As I said above, I have not purchased the game yet(!!) and have stated my reasons why above. I am just basing this on what has been reported by different people on different boards. Perhaps I am being misled.

Edit: The reason why substitutions was a concern to me was because it was previously stated that playing time was a part of a player's development. If fatigue is a factor and allows the substitution of 2nd stringers in individual situations during the sim of the game, then I am way off-base. I have just not seen anyone comment on it.

Last edited by HornedFrog Purple : 12-26-2003 at 05:15 PM.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 05:14 PM   #78
Arles
Grey Dog Software

What I would recommend is posting your ideas on the forum. We look at all ideas and will do what we can to get as many of them in the game as possible. But, in the end, we have to "cut-off" the scope of the game. Otherwise, it will never be completed.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:44 PM   #79
G-Man
High School JV

I am sorely dissappointed with .400 Arles. I will still stay with the game. As I said in one of my threads that has seemingly vanished, I do enjoy the game. I was just concerned that the 2-point conversion and onside kicks were not included in the initial release and also not included in the first patch. And as is stated here the public was not even informed of this. I had a few other concerns (where are the total scoring leader stats for league and teams and why no notification of who has clinched a playoff spot and a standing for wildcard competition?).

I was very dissappointed with TDCB. I stayed with it through many patches but finally gave up before the final patch. Perhaps I will go back and try it before moving on to FastBreak's version. I do hope that .400 is successful with a fabulous football game and in all it's sports sims, for then won't we all benefit? I do support you guys, but I still remain skeptical with all I have seen so far. If I were to place a grade on your performance to date it would be somewhere in the "C" range. I hope that my satisfaction as a customer is important too you. Am I being unreasonable?
Old 12-26-2003, 06:27 PM   #80
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Arles ... and I will be adding them into TPF next week.

So ... having the 2 pts conversion in is, give or take, a week's worth of work (maximum, since there's other stuff going on too).

Maybe you didn't anticipate the level of negative reaction to the missing 2 pt conversion.

If not, I'd say you badly misestimated the audience.

If so, then why not put it in before release instead of after? Obviously, given the quick patch fix, it's not like we're talking a month here.

I honestly believe that anyone even remotely familiar with the audience the game will attract could have predicted the reaction to the omission.

Instead, for whatever reason, there's yet another reason to question first release's from .400.

As I've said in the past, TPF held very limited interest for me from the get-go, I'm pretty well full up on NFL sims. But my concerns extend to other future products in the group who I hope will be able to learn from the experiences of TPF et al.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:42 PM   #81
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Something that also bothers me...

Where was the beta team at on these issues.. i mean i understand cutting out some of the fluff that just wasn't working thats fine..

But, if i was to beta test the game calling portion of the game.. and i didn't have 2 point conversions and a more diverse variety of plays+fake special teams plays and even onside kicks? well.. i'd probably make damn sure my voice was heard that stuff needs to be in a "accurate simulation of today's pro football"

But thats just me, I Like the start tpf has made, and they can keep my money for the promise of a future great game (i'm in no real hurry).. all these people scrambling and crying for a refund don't recognize the future potential that could be wasted if 400 studios says "why even freaking bother?" due to bad sales high returns.. I'm not saying you all should Buy tpf now, i'd say wait and see how the first few patchs go and add.. but if they right the ship and make this the game it could be.. It's well worth the money
Old 12-26-2003, 06:45 PM   #82
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Something that also bothers me...

But thats just me, I Like the start tpf has made, and they can keep my money for the promise of a future great game (i'm in no real hurry).. all these people scrambling and crying for a refund don't recognize the future potential that could be wasted if 400 studios says "why even freaking bother?" due to bad sales high returns.. I'm not saying you all should Buy tpf now, i'd say wait and see how the first few patchs go and add.. but if they right the ship and make this the game it could be.. It's well worth the money

so you're saying that we should just throw money at TPF? Even though it's missing parts that many people consider vital? Throw money at them because it's a first generation title? Throw money at them because they have some good ideas and someday it "might" be a great game? If that's the case, give me some money too. I can make some pretty amazing promises too
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 07:01 PM   #83
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The reason adding both onside kicks and two-point conversions won't take long is because the code for both is currently in the game. For some reason, the options were not enabled for user and/or AI use in playcalling. Call it a "gaff" on my part and one that have openly taken the heat for. I was thinking of trying to just enable them for the 1.1 update, but decided to wait and do some additional testing over the weekend to make sure it's stable and the AI is good for both.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:10 PM   #84
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You are kidding, right?

Todd
Old 12-26-2003, 07:32 PM   #85
Ragone
Pro Rookie

note i said don't throw money at them.. wait on the patches and see if it develops.. its a personal opinion with some further development tpf could be the best.. so it keeps MY money

yikes.. retract claws
Old 12-26-2003, 07:35 PM   #86
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Also if i may.. lemme remind you of things in the past people have "thrown" money at that turned out ok..

Cars..
Microsoft
Those damn flying machines
Mcdonalds franchises (heh)

Last edited by Ragone : 12-26-2003 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:37 PM   #87
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Also if i may.. lemme remind you of things in the past people have "thrown" money at that turned out ok..

Cars..
Microsoft
Those damn flying machines
Mcdonalds franchises (heh)

i say let other's throw their money at TPF. If it's any good down the road then i'll look into getting it
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 08:01 PM   #88
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I didn't mean to sound like a jerk, I just thought this quote, "and they can keep my money for the promise of a future great game", sounded a little off base.

I'm not arguing any points about the game, I think it'll be good sometime down the road and I'm anxious to really get into yet.

Todd
Old 12-26-2003, 08:11 PM   #89
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Maybe thrown money was a poor given image of what i was trying to convey.. I did say wait for the patches and see if things get revamped.. but like i told mizzou in a pm...

Should we really be waiting on revamps on a newly released game?
Old 12-26-2003, 08:16 PM   #90
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Sigh. I look forward to the day when everyone settles down and have some gamers enjoy playing TPF, some enjoy playing FOF, some enjoy playing CM, OOTP, or whatever game anyone can enjoy without worrying what others think or that you love a game they hate (and vice versa).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 08:40 PM   #91
RawIsDan
High School JV

Quote:
Sigh. I look forward to the day when everyone settles down and have some gamers enjoy playing TPF, some enjoy playing FOF, some enjoy playing CM, OOTP, or whatever game anyone can enjoy without worrying what others think or that you love a game they hate (and vice versa).

Buc has a dream !
RawIsDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 08:48 PM   #92
Ragone
Pro Rookie

rutro bucc.. better look out for Jason K on the grassy noll
Old 12-26-2003, 10:46 PM   #93
Subby
lolzcat

If you bar maximus from posting anything on this board about TPF or in a thread about TPF, I can almost guarantee the TPF DEFCON will go down a few notches...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 10:47 PM   #94
JimboJ
High School Varsity

Arlie, I just want to say thanks for the quick response in fixing the known bugs so quickly. I bought the game as soon as it was released, and then requested a refund as soon as I found out about the missing 2 point conversions and onside kicks. Now that you are adding them, I am thinking about purchasing again.

Hang in there and don't get discouraged - this game has a lot of potential.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 11:06 PM   #95
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Name one feature on our website the day of the release that was not in the game? There isn't one.

Now I don't want to go beat on a dead horse. It's the holiday season and I really hope .400 studios, all of its developers and everyone enjoying the game have nothing but success.

Don't give me that crap about one feature that was missing that wasn't advertised.

Two point conversions and onside kicks should be an expected part of any football release. Just tell me what you had already told me "I should have had them in, I didn't, it'll be fixed" instead of giving me that line of crap, OK Arlie?

If .400 ever gets to the point where I have to read every line of the website for a line that says "correct scoring rules are followed," you can forget any future business from me ever again.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 11:12 PM   #96
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Subby
If you bar maximus from posting anything on this board about TPF or in a thread about TPF, I can almost guarantee the TPF DEFCON will go down a few notches...

Amen to that!!!
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote