Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-20-2003, 02:04 PM   #1
The_herd
College Starter

HELP!! VIDEO CARD PROBLEMS!

The minimum system requirements for my video card is 350W of system power. However, my computer only goes up to 200W, or so Dell says. What would need to be upgraded to get up to that power supply and how much would it cost. Also, would you just recommend sending the card back?

The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
astralhaze
College Prospect

Re: HELP!! VIDEO CARD PROBLEMS!

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
The minimum system requirements for my video card is 350W of system power. However, my computer only goes up to 200W, or so Dell says. What would need to be upgraded to get up to that power supply and how much would it cost. Also, would you just recommend sending the card back?

Ugh. I used to work at Dell and I have some bad news. Dell's power supplies are proprietary and your motherboard will only work with a Dell power supply. Nice, eh?
Old 12-20-2003, 02:16 PM   #3
The_herd
College Starter

Re: Re: HELP!! VIDEO CARD PROBLEMS!

Quote:
Originally posted by astralhaze
Ugh. I used to work at Dell and I have some bad news. Dell's power supplies are proprietary and your motherboard will only work with a Dell power supply. Nice, eh?

Is it upgradable? How much would it run?
Old 12-20-2003, 02:32 PM   #4
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

not a happy answer: send the card back.

Alternatively, give the old dell to the_herd's Wife and buy yourself a new non-proprietary system.

tim
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 02:33 PM   #5
astralhaze
College Prospect

Re: Re: Re: HELP!! VIDEO CARD PROBLEMS!

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
Is it upgradable? How much would it run?

As far as I know, Dell won't sell you just a power supply. So, you would be looking at purchasing a third party motherboard AND power supply which would be in the $100-200 range depending upon what you wanted to get. Plus you would have to make sure the new mobo worked with your processor, memory type, etc.

Would be more hassle then it would be worth I'm afraid.

Last edited by astralhaze : 12-20-2003 at 02:33 PM.
astralhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 02:35 PM   #6
The_herd
College Starter

Ok, simple solution is to send the card back and get the ATI RADEON 9600XT 256MB I was looking at. At least that card is $150 cheaper.

Last edited by The_herd : 12-20-2003 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:36 PM   #7
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

and find out from dell if that card will work in your current dell system.
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 02:36 PM   #8
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by finkenst

Alternatively, give the old dell to the_herd's Wife and buy yourself a new non-proprietary system.

tim

Not much of an option until next Christmas probably. The wife would kill me if I asked for a new computer now.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:12 PM   #9
Dutch
"Dutch"

I would contact Dell first. We had a lot of spare power supply's for Dell systems at my old work. They had never been used and in Dell boxes, so I now assume they were purchased seperately.

However, a 200W power supply sucks. If you are into serious gaming that requires a big ass power supply, build your own. Cheers!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 03:21 PM   #10
The_herd
College Starter

Checking with Dell right now on the ATI card. They don't seem to want to help with the power supply problem.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:33 PM   #11
The_herd
College Starter

The ATI is compatible with my system according to DELL.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:04 PM   #12
The_herd
College Starter

Well, I bought a Visiontech RADEON 9600XT 256MB. Its $150 cheaper than the GeForce card which is great. In the end I'm glad I ended up with a Visiontech card, they made the current GeForce card I'm using and its been great. Visiontech is known to make no changes to the cards they are given so you get pretty much what ATI intended you to get. This is a plus for me because this usually means less technical problems, but the downside is you don't get an overclocked card or any bells and whistles. It does however, come with a coupon for Half Life 2, which hopefully comes out sometime next year.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:31 PM   #13
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

These are the things Dell doesn't mention in those slick commercials.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:47 AM   #14
Samdari
Roster Filler

Can you run that video card with a 200W power supply?
Old 12-22-2003, 11:27 AM   #15
FloridaFringe
H.S. Freshman Team

Can you run any high-end video card with only 200-watts?

Also, can that Dell Motherboard even support 8x AGP?

EDIT: Just wanted to add that the ATI 9600 XT 256mb is an excellent card that you should be very satisfied with if it runs at full capacity.

Last edited by FloridaFringe : 12-22-2003 at 11:50 AM.
FloridaFringe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 12:32 PM   #16
The_herd
College Starter

Just wanted to let everyone interested know that I got the video card installed and its been running great the past couple of days. I've been playing Max Payne 2 and Call of Duty with no problems at all and they look great. As a bonus, it was packaged with a coupon for a free copy of Half Life 2 for when its released. I have to say I'm quite pleased with ATI on this one.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in Dell for the way they put this system together. I don't have a low-end system by any means; Pentium 4 1.7Ghz. I know its almost 2 years old, but I think they definately went the cheap way in regards to the power supply on the system. I will be doing some upgrades to this soon I would assume. The good thing about being in a military community is its not too hard to find someone who works on computers for a living.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:42 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Didn't I tell you to get the Radeon in the first place?

The card you purchased is an excellent video card, although I can't believe you have a P4 pc and only a 200W power supply, that's plain silly on Dell's part. Heck, 300W ps's were pretty much standard when the P3's came out.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 03:38 PM   #18
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well, I'm now looking at videocards on the web as I just received a "note" for christmas telling me to go buy a new video card . My question: Where did you find the 9600xt with 256 MB of memory. Everywhere I see it, it only seems to have 128mb of memory. Also, what card would most people recommend as I'm in the 200-300 dollar price range? I'm considering the Radeon All-in-wonder 9600 Pro Video Card, but it only has 128 MB ram. I'm also considering several other cards such as the GeForce FX 5600 with 256MB of memory (but why is it so relatively cheap?), and a few others. Any suggestions?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 03:49 PM   #19
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola - I'm looking at my computer and such deciding which card I can get and I notice that my current card is listed as being in a PCI slot. I'm now wondering do I have to get a card which is made for a PCI slot? I have a Pentium 4 Compaq Presario 6024 which we only bought about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. My computer also says it is using AGP mode for my current video card which is the one which came with the computer. I used to know so much about computers 10 years ago, and when it comes to times like this I feel so ignorant now. Any suggestions?
Old 12-25-2003, 04:27 PM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Double Dola - I found my computer specifications. Apparently my mother board has open PCI slots as well as an AGP slot with the current video card already in it. Unfortunately, according the documentation my mother board only supports 4AGP. Am I correct in assuming I could run most of the modern video cards but they will only run in 4 AGP mode and therefore be less then optimal. Also, I only have 235 watts internal power supply , although I do have a backup battery for power outages. Will this power supply run a video card such as the All-in-Wonder Pro Video card 9600 which needs to quote: AGP (4x) 1.5V or AGP 8x 0.8V?
Old 12-25-2003, 04:40 PM   #21
The_herd
College Starter

http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/Prod...?sku=VC-VT-005

I got the video card here. They get it to you fast, but realize that this place offers NO customer support with the products they sell, they refer you to the maker of the product. They do have a 30 day money back guarantee but you have to pay a "restocking" penalty. Overall, I think they are pretty good, they have a great selection of video cards for a small online company.

Last edited by The_herd : 12-25-2003 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-25-2003, 04:44 PM   #22
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Eaglesfan27
I'm also considering several other cards such as the GeForce FX 5600 with 256MB of memory (but why is it so relatively cheap?), and a few others. A

I did some research on the FX 5600 because I surprised at how cheap it was, and I found out it has a ton of problems, it runs very loud and has a major bottleneck problem that was solved with the 5900 series. A lot of people saw the 5600 as a major failure by nVidia and it didn't sell well at all, probably why it sells so cheap.

Last edited by The_herd : 12-25-2003 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:46 PM   #23
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the info