Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How's everyone feeling?
A little deadlier than flu but not a big deal 7 9.46%
I'm worried but think people are overreacting 23 31.08%
Really worried, lots of deaths coming but not near 1% 21 28.38%
Really, really worried, lots of deaths at 1% or so 18 24.32%
Close to freaking out. Stocked up and ready to self isolate for a while 2 2.70%
Trout 3 4.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2020, 12:33 AM   #51
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
We are not listening. We are Italy. We are not doing enough. New York is going to lose control of this really soon. Instead of "who was at this exact meeting room with this exact guy" it's going to be "anyone who was in midtown the last four days" and so forth.

People are amused by the run on toilet paper. How about when we run out of ventilators? The ways to prevent that are, apparently, beyond our ability.

Good heavens I hope I am totally wrong, and we can all play a fun little game of "alarmist libtard" after the fact.

I hit this point fully today as well. After some cat food and litter that I've got coming in Tuesday night, I'll be set to not need to leave the house for 4-6 weeks easily. Our local Kroger had a pretty impressive amount of stock left today, I'm set.

With that, I'm done. I went out for the last time in March today. Will continue to re-evaluate but I 100% agree with "we're italy" and very possibly worse, I'm diabetic, and am lucky enough to have a great work from home job. There is no reason in the world for me to take a single unnecessary risk at this point.

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:44 AM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I live in a county that's sort of the regional hub for a multi-county area. It's where a lot of people go when they "go to town" if you will. So you'll just have pardon the blue fuck outta me if I'm not suddenly gripped in fresh terror by the news of {gasp} two diagnosis in the county.

Reality is that the odds of me encountering it didn't change just because of the zip code of their home address.

They could have been from any of several counties and had about the same - if not MORE - likelihood of me bumping into them at some point in the past week. Especially when you consider that my outings mostly take place across the border in an adjoining county.

And further still by the reality that several thousands people - of varying addresses - are returning here from spring break all over the world. (Just because they closed UGA doesn't mean that all the students magically vanished NOR that the local-born students attending school elsewhere aren't heading HERE when they "return to their homes").

It's news, that's fine, I have no beef about that.

It's just not news that melodramatically changes the risk level that I faced yesterday before it broke.

edit to add: in case it wasn't clear, this rant is pretty specific, it's not general. Prompted by a specific 180 I saw someone take locally based on a single story. It has zero to do with whatever risk someone believes there is, it's prompted solely by the illogical response. I can't imagine how anyone thought there wouldn't be at least one case pop up in my county given the demographics here, even as someone firmly in the absolutely least concerned segment even I assumed that a confirmed case was inevitable.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-15-2020 at 01:16 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:12 AM   #53
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
We are not listening. We are Italy. We are not doing enough. New York is going to lose control of this really soon. Instead of "who was at this exact meeting room with this exact guy" it's going to be "anyone who was in midtown the last four days" and so forth.

People are amused by the run on toilet paper. How about when we run out of ventilators? The ways to prevent that are, apparently, beyond our ability.

Good heavens I hope I am totally wrong, and we can all play a fun little game of "alarmist libtard" after the fact.

I was starting to feel a little more hopeful until I started seeing pictures of packed bars and airports all over.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:36 AM   #54
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I was starting to feel a little more hopeful until I started seeing pictures of packed bars and airports all over.

Hey, some of us still have to work like everything's fine. I've traveled back and forth to Newark three weeks in a row now and spent well over 20 hours at the airport alone. I know this puts me out there as high risk, but there's no viable second option here. But crews are always the exception. I still have to go to work in the snow emergency blizzard too.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #55
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Very very scared.

Let's assume a worst case scenario of 80% of the population infected if all social distancing measures fail... with say a modest 1% mortality rate.

Just for Metro Manila with 13 million people, that's 100,000 fatalities once it's gone through the population.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #56
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Very very scared.

Let's assume a worst case scenario of 80% of the population infected if all social distancing measures fail... with say a modest 1% mortality rate.

Just for Metro Manila with 13 million people, that's 100,000 fatalities once it's gone through the population.

How's the mood in Philippines? Any panic buying of toilet paper? Schools closing? People still going out?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:47 PM   #57
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
How's the mood in Philippines? Any panic buying of toilet paper? Schools closing? People still going out?

Metro Manila is in community quarantine until April 14. All schools are closed until April 14.

Access in/out of the metro is very limited. All routes in/out of the metro are manned by military checkpoints with medical personel, every single private/public vehicle is being given temperature checks.

Outside of groceries, pharmacies, and food places, most malls have also announced that they will be closing shop for the duration of the quarantine.

Curfew has also been implemented from 8pm to 5am for all cities within Metro Manila.

Metro Manila is 13 million people... and enforcing a community quarantine is by no means simple.

If you can work from home, most companies let you (like mine)

We don't have a problem with toilet paper... because we wash our butts with bidets.

There was an initial panic with alcohol and food... but I think that's going to subside, as the government has said that they aim to minimize the impact of the quarantine on food transportation.

But yeah, if you guys think this shit is going to stop when Spring/Summer hits the Western Hemisphere.... the hot weather and climate isn't affecting this thing. We're at 90-100 F, 80% humidity for March... and we were at 3 cases ten days ago, now at 140 cases with 12 fatalities.

COVID-19 cases in the Philippines jump to 140, death toll at 12

502 Bad Gateway

502 Bad Gateway

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/03/16/...c-safety-hours

COVID-19 community quarantine comes into effect over Metro Manila | News | GMA News Online
Old 03-15-2020, 12:56 PM   #58
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Dola. The best case scenario here is that once this is done, everyone thinks that the government overreacted and that there was nothing to be worried about... that's the best we can hope for... that means the measures worked.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 03-15-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #59
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Dola. The best case scenario here is that once this is done, everyone thinks that the government overreacted and that there was nothing to be worried about... that's the best we can hope for... that means the measures worked.

No, that's when the government and all those dumb scientists are going to take the blame for ruining the economy. When everyone else goes, "see, we told you it was nothing, you stupid fuckers."

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #60
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

President Trump tried to purchase a coronavirus vaccine. For the US Only.

Trump offers 'large sums' for exclusive access to coronavirus vaccine | US news | The Guardian
Old 03-17-2020, 12:07 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The younger voters I'm hearing from are NOT happy with pretty much anybody at this point, for their failure to protect the bar & restaurant industry (and retail in some areas). Trump's support from under 30 is going to take a big hit if it's Trump vs Biden, and the (D) will suffer attrition for not nominating Bernie.

Prediction time: both parties will see fewer votes from 18-24, possibly 25-29 as well than they did last cycle. Almost certainly in the form of lower turnout in general.
Old 03-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #62
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I've been a bit nervous once this got to the US, I'll admit it. I am personally 80% ready to head to the Snell residence down at the Lake of the Ozarks and ride this out in a bunker.

However, my wife has been our rock through this. She's been the calm one in this clan attempting to keep us (read: me) from overreacting. I have leaned on her quite a bit this past week, I believe. We're not as prepared for a couple of weeks of lockdown as I'd like to be, but we're better than we were. She's negotiated a little with me on that side. She nearly lost it for a few minutes yesterday, but by the time she got home, she was as cool as the other side of the pillow.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #63
Poli
FOFC Survivor

My sister in law scored points today...finding milk, toilet paper, and frozen food items my kids will eat. She's bumped in the ratings from "disliked" to "reasonably favored."
Old 03-18-2020, 01:10 PM   #64
bob
College Starter

Honestly, I think I might freak out a bit if Wells Fargo told me I don't have to pay my mortgage for a few months.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:08 PM   #65
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Someone I know got tested. I have no idea why it takes 36-48 hours for results.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #66
Edward64
Head Coach

Another poll tomorrow on same topic just to see how mindsets may have changed in a week.

I tweaked the scale just a little. From
1. A little deadlier than flu but not a big deal
2. I'm worried but think people are overreacting
3. Really worried, lots of deaths coming but not near 1%
4. Really, really worried, lots of deaths at 1% or so
5. Close to freaking out. Stocked up and ready to self isolate for a while
6. Trout
To
1. A little deadlier than flu but not a big deal
2. I'm concerned but think people are overreacting
3. Definitely worried, lots of deaths coming but not near 1%
4. Really, really worried, lots of deaths at 1% or more
5. Close to freaking out. Stocked up and ready to self isolate for a while
Yeah, I'm removing Trout in this poll. Com'on, there is no Trout now.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-18-2020 at 05:14 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:45 PM   #67
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Someone I know got tested. I have no idea why it takes 36-48 hours for results.

because they aren't an NBA player?
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:50 PM   #68
thesloppy
Pro Starter

My anxiety keeps reaching new and exciting levels! As luck would have it I got laid off a couple weeks ago entirely unrelated to the virus, but regardless it certainly doesn't help with the anxiety. I also live alone, am single & have no family within 500 miles, for better or worse....keeping myself entertained & sane is going to be a challenge, but I probably have a better chance to avoid the virus itself & don't have to worry about kids or elderly nearby.

I'm thinking/hoping folks will collectively feel a little better mentally & emotionally once we all settle into some sort of routine (and hopefully see some effects of the distancing on the virus numbers).
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote