Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-18-2003, 10:34 AM   #1
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Question AI cheating in 4th quarter ????

Ok, I love the new game (FOF2k4) but I think the AI is cheating. I am playing with the latest patch on the hardest level. I simmed 5 seasons to have a little history. I've now played 3 seasons with me running things. My team isn't great but I have some decent talent. Here's what I've noticed.

Unless I am leading by more than 15 points in the 4th quarter the computer comes back to win 80% of the time. Now, my head coach is excellent at off. play calling and average at defensive play calling. I watch all the games and sometimes take over. Mostly on defense because of my coach. But the computer comes back whether I call the plays or not. This happens too frequently to be a coincidence. Has anyone else seen this who watch the games?: mad:

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty

DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:44 AM   #2
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

No, if anything it seems that fourth quarter heroics are way down. Can you post some game logs showing this 80% issue, because that would show a serious flaw in the code, IMO.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:53 AM   #3
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I watch every game in PbP mode (although some at the very fastest setting), and I have not noticed this to be a problem at all.

In fact, I feel pretty confident even if we're down going into the 4th quarter.

I'd say, ultimately, that the team leading going into the 4th ends up winning most of the time.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:07 AM   #4
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

The trouble is your defense, dude. The computer AI goes into the two minute offense and your defense can't stop it. It won't matter if you call the plays or not.

This is my theory anyway. I used to watch them all, and having the leagues best defense, if I led into the 4th I won the game.

What kind of talent do you have in your secondary? I made sure to keep the best safeties (cause they are cheaper) and one great CB. But if your team is based on offense and you haven't spent in the D, this is the problem you'll face. Just ask the Colts pre Dungy.
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:38 PM   #5
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Purely anecdotal, but I have noticed a higher propensity to turn the ball over late when you lead by 10 or more. However, most of the time my team still holds on to win.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:39 PM   #6
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Yeah, I have a pretty good defense (excellent secondary), and I find when I get into the 4th quarter up 7 or more I am really in good shape and usually hold on.

You gotta bolster up that DEFENSE.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 08:42 PM   #7
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

There's no fourth quarter AI cheat code, that I promise.

QBs with many fourth quarter comebacks play at a higher rating in the fourth quarter, but it's not excessive.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:06 PM   #8
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Jim is lying - all developers progam in cheat code so that the AI team makes an amazing comeback, you break the mouse/keyboard (or even monitor if we're lucky) in disgust and then we get a kickback from Microsoft, Dell....whoever

Or something like that...
Old 12-18-2003, 11:23 PM   #9
sabotai
General Manager

...I KNEW IT!

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:27 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I love reading those maddenmania and os posts from people who say Madden has "comeback code" programmed into the game.

It always makes me laugh.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:41 PM   #11
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Some games have had "comeback" code programmed into it...I'm mostly thinking of console games. Mario Kart 64 and any NBA Jam come to mind. Or any EA game for that matter

Yeah, I noticed my team would blow a lot of leads in the 4th qtr. Then I realized I only had one real CB. The #2 guy was a "green" rookie, and the #3 and #4 guys should have been working at Jiffy Lube. I added 2 more CB's and my pass D went way up.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 11:45 PM   #12
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by MizzouRah
I love reading those maddenmania and os posts from people who say Madden has "comeback code" programmed into the game.

It always makes me laugh.

Todd

but, it does exist.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:08 AM   #13
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by corbes
I watch every game in PbP mode (although some at the very fastest setting), and I have not noticed this to be a problem at all.

In fact, I feel pretty confident even if we're down going into the 4th quarter.

I'd say, ultimately, that the team leading going into the 4th ends up winning most of the time.

I said this, then went home and blew 4th quarter leads in the first two games of my season.

In the first game, I was up 20 and had even put my backup QB in so my creaky veteran didn't get hurt.

Then Houston scored 23 unanswered points.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 08:19 AM   #14
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Draft Dodger
but, it does exist.

...and so do the black helicopters.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 09:43 AM   #15
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

There is a comeback code in Madden, and there always has been.

They have been very coy about it, but they are totally lying to you when they say it isn't in there.

Perhaps the way they have it designed, they can credibly say it isn't "comeback code" but whatever you call it, it's there.
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 01:23 PM   #16
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

I remember the early EA NCAA Football Games blatantly had comeback codes that were directly tied to the difficulty level you played. When you played at the easiest levels you could routinely smoke the AI like 83-7.

But at the hardest levels it did nothing to stop your offense. You'd still score darn near every time and could build like a 42-10 lead after 3 quartes, then watch your team have fumble and INT after fumble and INT to the point the final would be 49-45. They could never actually make the game harder, just cheat with turnovers to keep the score close.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:32 PM   #17
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Wait for it...Wait for it...Wait for it...Wait for it...Wait for it...Wait for it...Wait for it...Wait for it...

EA sucks!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 08:54 PM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sidhe
There is a comeback code in Madden, and there always has been.

They have been very coy about it, but they are totally lying to you when they say it isn't in there.

Perhaps the way they have it designed, they can credibly say it isn't "comeback code" but whatever you call it, it's there.

I think you are totally *wrong*. Now, different levels of a game and 'comeback code' are two different entities.

Making a game harder by making players 'faster' than your guys are due to making the game harder (via difficulty levels), not by making the game come back on you to beat you.

At least I've never felt that way on All-Pro. Now, on Madden level, ya I've felt that way... but it's because the computer AI is much quicker on the heels, so to speak.

Anyhow, without mentioning names.... I know someone who works for EA (Kodos) who told me EA would NEVER do a thing like that!

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 12-19-2003 at 08:56 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote