Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-16-2003, 08:22 AM   #51
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
The latest from rotoworld:

Nomar Garciaparra's agent, Arn Tellem, flew back to California yesterday after a meeting with the Red Sox convinced him that the team had chosen to consummate a deal for Alex Rodriguez.

It's expected that Nomar will go to the Dodgers if (or when) the A-Rod deal gets done. According to the Boston Globe, the Red Sox probably won't get Odalis Perez in the trade. Instead, they'll acquire top pitching prospect Greg Miller and perhaps another young arm or two. Miller may then get sent to the Rangers in the A-Rod deal. Also according to the Globe, the Sox already have a deal lined up for a quality left fielder to replace Manny Ramirez. It's unclear who the player is, but Richard Hidalgo, Magglio Ordonez and Geoff Jenkins are among the possibilities. Also mentioned were Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns, either of whom might be able to be had by a team willing to take Danny Graves' contract.

If the Reds give up either Kearns or Dunn just to ditch Graves' contract, then baseball should cancel teh trade and put the team in trust until it can be sold to an owner that is at least mildly interested in winning. What happened out there last year was a disgrace, and it seriously damaged the integrity of the game-- specifically the pennant race in the NL Central.

oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 08:44 AM   #52
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by oykib
If the Reds give up either Kearns or Dunn just to ditch Graves' contract, then baseball should cancel teh trade and put the team in trust until it can be sold to an owner that is at least mildly interested in winning. What happened out there last year was a disgrace, and it seriously damaged the integrity of the game-- specifically the pennant race in the NL Central.

Yeah, seriously. Unless Graves has a 10 year, $200 million contract that I don't know about, either of those players are WAY too good to be included in a salary dump.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 08:54 AM   #53
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That may be, but Greg Miller is one of the top minor league pitchers in baseball, and he's only 18. It's not like they wouldn't get something for them - plus rid themselves of Graves' contract.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:35 AM   #54
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
That may be, but Greg Miller is one of the top minor league pitchers in baseball, and he's only 18. It's not like they wouldn't get something for them - plus rid themselves of Graves' contract.

You say, "...he's only 18" like it's a good thing.

Kearns is obviously the truth.

Dunn is likely to straighten himself out, too.

This screams bad deal (i.e. fan betrayal)
Old 12-16-2003, 12:17 PM   #55
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Being a White Sox fan sucks.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:51 PM   #56
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Again, from Rotoworld:

The Reds may have offered Adam Dunn to the Dodgers for top prospect Edwin Jackson.

Jackson is a great prospect, but the Dodgers shouldn't hesitate to make this trade if they have the chance. Dunn can get on base and hit balls out of Dodger Stadium, so he's exactly what the team needs.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 05:08 PM   #57
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Again, from Rotoworld:

The Reds may have offered Adam Dunn to the Dodgers for top prospect Edwin Jackson.

Jackson is a great prospect, but the Dodgers shouldn't hesitate to make this trade if they have the chance. Dunn can get on base and hit balls out of Dodger Stadium, so he's exactly what the team needs.

It doesnt mention that he can also strike out 150 times a year.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 06:41 PM   #58
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Suicane75
It doesnt mention that he can also strike out 150 times a year.

Contrary to what 'baseball people' say, a strikeout is just an out. If he bats .260, slugs .550, and walks 100+ times to go with the 150+ K's, then you have to take it.