Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-15-2003, 03:15 PM   #1
Samdari
Roster Filler

Ricky Davis traded for a Bag of Cheetos

Nothing says, "we want you away from LeBron at all costs." quite like this deal. In addition to the bag of Cheetos, the Cavs get a receptionist who's contract is expiring and everything left behind in Rick Pitino's desk.

To Boston: Davis, Chris Mihm and Yogi Stewart

To Cleveland: Battie, Eric Williams and Kedrick Brown.

Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 03:17 PM   #2
astralhaze
College Prospect

Addition by subtraction for the Cavs. Davis can score, but that's about it and he has no concept of the team. Getting him away from LeBron is a great move.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:17 PM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

Wow.. I thought Davis and LeBron had a nice chemistry going, at least on the court? And I thought Chris Mihm was alright?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 03:19 PM   #4
BishopMVP
Coordinator

My title was better.

My quote when my friend told me "I like williams. I like battie. I think kedrick will get better. The celtics have been playing amazingly lately with good team chemistry. I don't like ricky davis and i think he's a team cancer. I don't like our stockpiling of big white guys and i have no clue who the hell Yogi is."

I guess both teams fans hate the trade equally.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 03:20 PM   #5
vtbub
College Starter

Ugh!

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 03:23 PM   #6
rkmsuf
Head Coach

the only value in that trade is Erik Williams who is in the last year of his deal. The other two C's are useless.

If the C's can focus Ricky(Pierce will kick his ass if he makes waves) then it's a plus for boston...
Old 12-15-2003, 03:25 PM   #7
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by BishopMVP
and i have no clue who the hell Yogi is."

I think this is Matthew(??) Stewart that was on the Raptors for like 4 years making over 3M, sitting on the bench.. before that, on the Kings. He had some ok rebounding numbers in one of his Kings years, and I think that's what got him the 3M contract.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:26 PM   #8
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Tony Battie is solid. Only 6 and 5, but he's been banged up this year.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:28 PM   #9
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

Blount has been better. With Battie's continued knee issues he's useless...
Old 12-15-2003, 03:29 PM   #10
BishopMVP
Coordinator

He's at least equal to Mihm.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:30 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Okay then...
Old 12-15-2003, 03:32 PM   #12
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

And I think Mihm has been better than this as well, showing signs of being able to contribute in the league (as a backup PF, not a franchise center).

As far as chemistry between LeBron and Ricky, I don't think so. In fact, I am surprised to hear someone mention Davis and on-court chemistry together. His reputation (and maybe 10 career games I have seen him play) mark him as not just a "me first" player, but "me only"
Old 12-15-2003, 03:39 PM   #13
astralhaze
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
His reputation (and maybe 10 career games I have seen him play) mark him as not just a "me first" player, but "me only"

Indeed. Iowa basically told him not to let the door hit him on the ass on the way out after his freshman season, the Hornets hated him, the Heat made no effort to re-sign him, and the Cavs just traded him for jack even though he was their leading scorer last season.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:41 PM   #14
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
As far as chemistry between LeBron and Ricky, I don't think so. In fact, I am surprised to hear someone mention Davis and on-court chemistry together. His reputation (and maybe 10 career games I have seen him play) mark him as not just a "me first" player, but "me only"

Ok, my mistake then. I've only seen part of one Cavs game. The rest has been from highlights, and I've seen a lot of alley-oops between LeBron and Davis. But alley-oops != chemistry.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:43 PM   #15
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeVic
Ok, my mistake then. I've only seen part of one Cavs game. The rest has been from highlights, and I've seen a lot of alley-oops between LeBron and Davis. But alley-oops != chemistry.

I was just surprised to hear someone say that. Many have watched more Cavs games than me, so they may have seen something I did not.

I actually read last week (Chad Ford in NBA Insider) that Davis was basically refusing to pass to LeBron. These alley-oops you saw, were they LeBron to Davis?
Old 12-15-2003, 03:49 PM   #16
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I actually read last week (Chad Ford in NBA Insider) that Davis was basically refusing to pass to LeBron. These alley-oops you saw, were they LeBron to Davis?

Most of them were... But there was one or two with Davis to LeBron. Who knows, could have been just horrible bricks by Davis that LeBron managed to intercept and make Davis look like he was passing.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:52 PM   #17
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Wow.. I thought Davis and LeBron had a nice chemistry going, at least on the court?

You might be confusing Davis and Miles -- Miles and James did seem to have a decent chemistry from the Cavs games I saw. Definately not the blackhole (the ball goes in, but never comes out) Davis.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:55 PM   #18
Calis
College Starter

Damn that sucks, I'm not a Celtics fan per se, but a huge Pierce fan..and hate to see Ricky Davis on the same team. Haven't seen Davis play much at all this year, but I thought I was hearing about how he had got his act together, sounding like that was a load of bull. Too bad.

Be interesting to see how this plays out.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 03:55 PM   #19
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I think this is Matthew(??) Stewart that was on the Raptors for like 4 years making over 3M, sitting on the bench.. before that, on the Kings. He had some ok rebounding numbers in one of his Kings years, and I think that's what got him the 3M contract.

His given name is (was?) Michael. He was a blocking machine one year with the Kings (back when he and Polynice were the center rotation for them).

edit:spelling

Last edited by dacman : 12-15-2003 at 03:55 PM.
dacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 04:08 PM   #20
Sublime
High School JV

Kedrick Brown actually could turn out to be a very big part of this deal. He has plenty of.....upside (hate to use the word). Kid Ked's D is great and he can jump out of the gym. Jumper definetly needs some work, as doest he rest of his offensive prowess. He's still very young also, the C's drafted him straight outta JuCo. Though I am pleased that the C's picked up Davis. Hopefully he and Pierce can put together a one two combo as good as Pierce and Toine.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:10 PM   #21
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Sublime
Kedrick Brown actually could turn out to be a very big part of this deal. He has plenty of.....upside (hate to use the word). Kid Ked's D is great and he can jump out of the gym. Jumper definetly needs some work, as doest he rest of his offensive prowess. He's still very young also, the C's drafted him straight outta JuCo. Though I am pleased that the C's picked up Davis. Hopefully he and Pierce can put together a one two combo as good as Pierce and Toine.

You are way off on Brown. The kid hasn't shown any ability to learn the game of basketball. He jumps out of the gym but that's it...
Old 12-15-2003, 04:11 PM   #22
Sublime
High School JV

Maybe not on the offensive side of the ball but certainly on the defensive, in part due to his athletic ability. I still think he can grow into a solid bench player.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:12 PM   #23
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by dacman
His given name is (was?) Michael. He was a blocking machine one year with the Kings (back when he and Polynice were the center rotation for them).

Yeah, Michael Stewart is right. I knew it started with an "M"... how could I not remember Michael.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:13 PM   #24
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Maybe not on the offensive side of the ball but certainly on the defensive, in part due to his athletic ability. I still think he can grow into a solid bench player.

Exactly, a bench player that's it. The Celtics gave him every opportunity to start and he just runs around out there and as far as defense he fouls a lot.

Boston doesn't need to develop bench talent...
Old 12-15-2003, 04:16 PM   #25
Sublime
High School JV

Oh i totally agree, but still a solid bench player can be quite valuable. I just don't think that Davis was traded for nothing. EWill has also been solid coming off the bench.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:21 PM   #26
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Oh i totally agree, but still a solid bench player can be quite valuable. I just don't think that Davis was traded for nothing. EWill has also been solid coming off the bench.

Again Williams was probably not going to resign here after the season. He should have been starting and I don't think it is a total conincidence his minutes have been down.

If they can reign Davis in it's a great addition to a running team...
Old 12-15-2003, 04:30 PM   #27
The_herd
College Starter

Looks like a good deal for the C's, they add some offensive punch to their lineup and get a very improved Mihm. I think Baker, Pierce, Davis is a good trio of players to have in the East.

For the Cavs, as most have said, its addition by subtraction. They add a solid player in Williams, another athlete in K Brown, and Battie (or El Busto as a few C's fans remember).

I know I'm probably the minority here, but I don't think Davis will be as big of a problem in Boston as he has been in Cleveland. He's not THE guy in Boston, never was. I think that got to his head in Cleveland. He has been the only reliable scorer the past couple years and there wasn't a veteran star to keep him in check. The trade also gets him out of a situation where he'd grown accustomed to losing, which can also lead to some ego problems actually.

In the end, I think both teams did quite well, and Davis gets a fresh start.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:31 PM   #28
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
Looks like a good deal for the C's, they add some offensive punch to their lineup and get a very improved Mihm. I think Baker, Pierce, Davis is a good trio of players to have in the East.

For the Cavs, as most have said, its addition by subtraction. They add a solid player in Williams, another athlete in K Brown, and Battie (or El Busto as a few C's fans remember).

I know I'm probably the minority here, but I don't think Davis will be as big of a problem in Boston as he has been in Cleveland. He's not THE guy in Boston, never was. I think that got to his head in Cleveland. He has been the only reliable scorer the past couple years and there wasn't a veteran star to keep him in check. The trade also gets him out of a situation where he'd grown accustomed to losing, which can also lead to some ego problems actually.

Right on!!!

Last edited by rkmsuf : 12-15-2003 at 04:31 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 04:34 PM   #29
Sublime
High School JV

Quote:

Definetly Agree Also
Old 12-15-2003, 04:49 PM   #30
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Davis gets a fresh start.

If he makes the most of it, its a good deal for Boston. What they really gave up here is not Williams, but his expiring contract. Davis is (I believe) locked up for 4-5 years.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:02 PM   #31
BishopMVP
Coordinator

After thinking a little more, I just hope Pierce bitch-slaps Davis around. Maybe it was just that there was nobody there in Cleveland to do it.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:30 PM   #32
korme
Go Reds

ESPN just goofed, a little SNAFU on Sportscenter.

It listed Michael Stewart being traded to both teams, one as a C, one as a G/F.. obviously they meant Kedrick Brown for the G/F.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 07:39 PM   #33
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by astralhaze
Indeed. Iowa basically told him not to let the door hit him on the ass on the way out after his freshman season, the Hornets hated him, the Heat made no effort to re-sign him, and the Cavs just traded him for jack even though he was their leading scorer last season.

Oh believe me, at first I was pissed when he left Iowa, then I realised how little he understood the concept of being a "team," and it didn't really bother me after that....
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 09:52 PM   #34
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wait... wait wait wait wait wait... wait...

wait... wait wait wait wait... wait wait wait wait... wait...

Wait a minute? We're all missing the big picture here. You're telling me there's a player in the NBA named Yogi?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 10:19 PM   #35
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
Wait... wait wait wait wait wait... wait...

Wait a minute? We're all missing the big picture here. You're telling me there's a player in the NBA named Yogi?

SI

His nickname is Yogi I believe... but maybe everyone calls him Yogi now..
Old 12-15-2003, 10:45 PM   #36
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't know when Michael Stewart started asking people to call him Yogi, but nothing tops NENE.