Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

Black Friday - 2017

Its that time of year again. What are folks looking to get?

Here's a link that has latest flyers.

https://slickdeals.net/blackfriday/

I'm interested in
  1. 4k Blu-ray player. I have a 4k TV but no 4k discs so the player needs to do a good job of upscaling.
  2. Blu-ray movies. Still continuing to build on my collection of asian martial arts movies. Some are surprisingly good vs the old kung-fu movies from the 80's. (Good to see Sammy Hung hanging around, he's portly now but he's got some moves)
  3. DJI Mavic drone. Maybe still too pricey this year though
  4. Possibly new desktop to replace old i5 from 4-5 years ago

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-11-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Physical media and a desktop computer...Black Friday 2008 may be better for you!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Physical media and a desktop computer...Black Friday 2008 may be better for you!

Ouch.

Desktop for game playing can't be beat. Laptops only go so far and no expandability.

Physical media I can easily resell and not locked into one vendor.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
Suicane75
Coordinator

Hey man, you wanna buy some CD's? $12.99 each.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

I need a new laptop....no gaming other than OOTP...advice? (im cheap!)

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:40 PM   #6
Butter
Coordinator

In for my son on the cheap laptop front. That's not a Chromebook.

I want a Raspberry Pi and a Roku Premiere plus. I'm a cheap date.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:48 PM   #7
Groundhog
Coordinator

I love my Raspberry Pi. Taking into account the amount of use it gets from both me and my wife, it was one of the best purchases I've made in years.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
Edward64
Head Coach

What's the budget for the cheap laptop?
Old 11-12-2017, 10:40 PM   #9
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

under 1K

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 11-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #10
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
under 1K

Thats plenty for a good laptop with integrated graphics. You should be able to find some good deals.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #11
Edward64
Head Coach

The Dell BF ad is out. Lots of cheaper laptops that will fit your price budget.

Dell Home & Office Black Friday 2017 Ad Scans | Slickdeals

There's a BB ad also available.

You have to figure out whats important to you

-- How long do you want it to last
-- Performance - just cruising the internet all the way to FPS games
-- Weight
-- Screen size & quality
-- HDD mechanical or SSD, and size
-- RAM
-- Discrete graphics chip (e.g. 1050)

I would say an i5 cpu, 14 inch screen, SSD, 8GB RAM are the minimum you should get. If you play anything other than text sims, get a discrete chip and 16GB RAM (and go with 15 inch screen)

Last edited by Edward64 : 11-17-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:34 PM   #12
Edward64
Head Coach

BF Games and movies tracked in an xls.

U.S. Black Friday 2017 Spreadsheet
Old 11-17-2017, 10:00 PM   #13
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Thats plenty for a good laptop with integrated graphics. You should be able to find some good deals.

computers are pretty cheap lately. Granted you won't get something good but it'll work until windows does another update.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:30 PM   #14
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Going to hunt around for a good OLED price. Was going to hold off on a new TV for another year or so, but I'm packing the car and heading to Lubbock starting on Black Friday and not taking the current older TV with me. Will probably end up settling for a cheap 4K TV for now. Looks like there's a 50" Sharp for $180 through Best Buy right now.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 11-17-2017 at 10:32 PM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:58 PM   #15
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I work in retail support.. so screw all of your black Friday folks!

Making me work 12am - 7am.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:42 AM   #16
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I work in retail support.. so screw all of your black Friday folks!

Making me work 12am - 7am.

I'll be on the road on Black Friday, so it won't be my fault (and I've never actually gone to a store on Black Friday).
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #17
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
under 1K

PC Magazine is pretty respectable. Might not be "best best" but solid recommendations IMO.

The Best Black Friday Laptop and Desktop PC Deals | PCMag.com
Old 11-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
I'll be on the road on Black Friday, so it won't be my fault (and I've never actually gone to a store on Black Friday).

Good man!

My phone will be ringing non-stop.. that much is a given. Register 3 won't ring up transactions.. blah blah..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:35 PM   #19
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
PC Magazine is pretty respectable. Might not be "best best" but solid recommendations IMO.

The Best Black Friday Laptop and Desktop PC Deals | PCMag.com

i went to this, and the best overall value coupon doesnt work

but im still hunting!

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 11-20-2017, 12:07 AM   #20
mckerney
Coordinator

Ordered a PS4 at $199 since I had $100 in credit from Amazon. Also got Uncharted Lost Legacy and Horizon Zero Dawn.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #21
QuikSand
lolzcat

Looking for a new fridge. French door, stainless steel. Figuring to buy over this next week.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #22
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Looking for a new fridge. French door, stainless steel. Figuring to buy over this next week.

keep up posted! i've had my eye out for a few months, hoping for a deal this week. unfortunately, every fridge ever reviewed is horrible, if you believe such things.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #23
QuikSand
lolzcat

Refrigerator reviews are a dumpster fire, for certain. I don't know if it's just internet pollution, or what -- but it's hard to sift useful information out of any site, it seems. The companies also don't help that that have a completely indecipherable way of altering model numbers across different retailer to make apples-to-apples shopping brutally hard.

Right now, my leading contender is here:
https://www.costco.com/GE-27.8-CuFt-...100386316.html

The Costco member price is $1850, including delivery/installation/hauloff, and they add 2 extra years warranty when you buy with your Costco credit card, which I have. So, that seems solid.

So, this seems like basically the same fridge, but they don't allow two rival companies to use the same model number, so I'm left to sort out what details might be different between them. At tHD it's $1698 with free delivery. Not 100% sure that's a parallel offering (I think fridge installation is as simple as plugging in the fucker but I'm not that guy, really).

Neither model is Energy Star rated, but to jump to that level seems to require a big vault in price, at least right now at tHD (where the discount is far less).

Then it looks like Lowe's has a parallel offering which is Energy Star rated, here. That's $1699, with next dat delivery, but you have to pay for a warranty.

(The HD and Lowe's offerings appear to be identical, but tHD does not label it as Energy Star rated for some reason)

Anyway... the Costco price is good through next Wednesday, so my plan is to fish around online for the usual offerings, and if nothing blows my doors off I'll likely just buy it through them.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #24
henry296
College Starter

QS - The one extra piece of installation is hooking up the water line for the ice marker/water dispenser.

We had the Whirlpool one with the middle drawer and really liked it. Bought it 6 years ago on Black Friday from Lowes. Moved this summer and have a LG french door that we don't like as much. It is older but has less storage and you can fit most water bottles in the water dispenser.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #25
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Refrigerator reviews are a dumpster fire, for certain. I don't know if it's just internet pollution, or what -- but it's hard to sift useful information out of any site, it seems. The companies also don't help that that have a completely indecipherable way of altering model numbers across different retailer to make apples-to-apples shopping brutally hard.

The Costco member price is $1850, including delivery/installation/hauloff, and they add 2 extra years warranty when you buy with your Costco credit card, which I have. So, that seems solid.

So, this seems like basically the same fridge, but they don't allow two rival companies to use the same model number, so I'm left to sort out what details might be different between them. At tHD it's $1698 with free delivery. Not 100% sure that's a parallel offering (I think fridge installation is as simple as plugging in the fucker but I'm not that guy, really).

Neither model is Energy Star rated, but to jump to that level seems to require a big vault in price, at least right now at tHD (where the discount is far less).

Then it looks like Lowe's has a parallel offering which is Energy Star rated, here. That's $1699, with next dat delivery, but you have to pay for a warranty.

(The HD and Lowe's offerings appear to be identical, but tHD does not label it as Energy Star rated for some reason)

Anyway... the Costco price is good through next Wednesday, so my plan is to fish around online for the usual offerings, and if nothing blows my doors off I'll likely just buy it through them.

thanks man. i've been looking around on slickdeals to see what pops up this week, will share if i see anything.

the costco door in door option you listed first does look pretty solid though.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #26
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I purposefully avoid Black Friday, to the point where today I'll make my annual groceries trip in which I stock up extra so that I don't have to go back to the store until after the weekend. I also aggressively aggravate those on my social media with memes such as the one the defines Black Friday as trampling others to death for the best deals precisely 24 hours after giving thanks for everything you have.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:03 AM   #27
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I also aggressively aggravate those on my social media with memes such as the one the defines Black Friday as trampling others to death for the best deals precisely 24 hours after giving thanks for everything you have.

Legit lol from me

Maybe people are giving thanks for the future deals received; ever think of that?!

Last edited by Logan : 11-21-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:48 AM   #28
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I just got a Garmin Edge 1000 GPS Cycling computer for $229 at Heartratemonitors USA. Retail is $500, and the lowest I'm seeing it anywhere else is in the mid 300s. Use my referral link below pls k thx.

Redirecting to store...

EDIT: If you're unfamiliar with that site, I've used it for years with no problems.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-22-2017 at 02:49 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #29
Ben E Lou

Question: if I'm looking for a specific brand/make/model of something, is there a more efficient way to see if it goes on sale than my current "google 'Acme Widget 2435' every 12 hours and see if it shows up anywhere at less than the standard price" strategy?
Old 11-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #30
Ben E Lou

Dola:

I ask that because a Google "Shop" search isn't showing that low price for the Edge 1000. I stumbled onto it looking for something else entirely.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:59 AM   #31
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I just got a Garmin Edge 1000 GPS Cycling computer for $229 at Heartratemonitors USA.
I'm seriously wondering if this was a computer glitch or human screw-up by someone over there. The price went UP to $350 when their Black Friday Sale started less than 24 hours after I got it for $229, and the cheapest I'm seeing it anywhere now for Black Friday is still right around $350.

It has already shipped, so bully for me, I guess. *shurg*
Old 11-24-2017, 07:22 AM   #32
MIJB#19
Coordinator

The term "Black Friday" has flown overseas and now, on a (for the Dutch) completely random Friday, stores are all "Black Friday Super Sale"! I suspect people here don't even know what "Black Friday" means. The timing does make sense, Santa visits the Netherlands roughly 3 weeks earlier than he does the USA.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #33
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:

So, still haven't beaten the Costco offer here. Not running out and getting in line for doorbusters, but am watching online. The door-in-door setup is a $200 differential in the list price (between the models I linked above) and the model available at Costco is in other places for $50-100 more, and without their free warranty extension. So, they remain in the driver's seat.

GE's different lines (GE Profile, GE Cafe) seem to mostly be modest styling differences, not improved parts quality, and for the several hundred dollars to upgrade, I don't see the value in it.

A handyman friend advised that both Samsung and LG make excellent products, but if you really need a major parts replacement, it can take some time to get items shipped over the Pacific. Not a huge demerit, but worthy of note...would be frustrating with a broken fridge.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:34 AM   #34
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
  1. 4k Blu-ray player. I have a 4k TV but no 4k discs so the player needs to do a good job of upscaling.
  2. Blu-ray movies. Still continuing to build on my collection of asian martial arts movies. Some are surprisingly good vs the old kung-fu movies from the 80's. (Good to see Sammy Hung hanging around, he's portly now but he's got some moves)
  3. DJI Mavic drone. Maybe still too pricey this year though
  4. Possibly new desktop to replace old i5 from 4-5 years ago

Got the 4k blu-ray player with good upscaling The Best 4K Blu-ray Player: Wirecutter Reviews | A New York Times Company. Currently on Amazon for $150.

Got a bunch of blu-ray movies including 8 disc Harry Potter set for the wife, currently on Amazon for $30. Also got The Pacific set for $10 a day ago.

Think I'll wait till next year for the drone and desktop (but am on the watch for a good graphics card deal).
Old 11-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #35
QuikSand
lolzcat

Seemingly great great price on a high end LG fridge:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-26-7...&skuId=8579981
Old 11-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #36
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I have a Samsung french door fridge and the ice maker is one of the worst ever. I guess because it's inside the left door of the fridge, the ice continually melts together, resulting in all ice being crushed ice unless it's freshly made and hasn't begun melting yet. And I hate crushed ice.

The manual that comes with it even states that it won't make good whole ice cubes. Too bad I had to wait until I already had it installed to read the manual. They didn't advertise that part!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #37
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Is Mass Effect: Andromeda worth it for $20?
Old 11-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #38
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Old 11-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #39
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

If you're on PC you can subscribe to Origin Access for $5 a month and play the game through that instead of buying it. You'll also be able to play Titanfall 2's campaign which is much better.

Last edited by mckerney : 11-24-2017 at 06:25 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:29 PM   #40
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

No
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:31 PM   #41
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote