Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #1
AlexB
Pro Starter

Amazon account hacked - don't understand the end game...

So yesterday someone managed to change my amazon email and password (I think it was an old password that wasn't strong, and was quite possibly the same as used on a site that I've found has had data stolen)

Seems to have been sorted now by Amazon, but I'm struggling to work out the benefit to the hacker:
  • They only ordered one item, a £1 item that is seemingly on its way to my home address, but was paid for on a gift card, not using either of the cards linked to the account
  • Although I couldn't log on using my email address the order acknowledgement and despatch notice came through to my address rather than the one they replaced it with
  • They haven't changed any delivery addresses or other details
  • The two cards have had no other activity on them
  • From what I understand they can't use the cards linked to the account anyway as only the last 4 digits are visible and they don't have the 3 digit code (both cards are however now cancelled to be on the safe side)

The only things I can think of are:
  • That they now have a name, email address and likely physical address that they plan to use in the future?
  • They were hoping I would click on links in the emails or contact the seller (it was a marketplace item) that they could then get more data from me (I've done neither)
  • They have access to my email account (although it was a different password to Amazon, and I have changed it since this episode) and plan to monitor correspondence to get more data?

Slightly confused tbh as I don't see why they just didn't order a bunch of stuff while they had access, and people don't generally do this just for fun I would imagine?

Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited by AlexB : 08-23-2017 at 07:55 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:57 AM   #2
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

You covered my initial thoughts.

Start setting up 2-factor authentication where available. Is on Amazon and most email services.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote