Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
PING: Networking folks, any IPv6 gurus out there yet?

So I took the dive into configuring dual stack for my home network this weekend. Never could get it to work in a routing/forwarding way with my firewall, so I ended up having to bridge all of the IPv6 traffic.

I see on the WAN interface of my cable modem that I have a /56 prefix delegated to me, and the LAN interface of the cable modem has one the /64 subnets from the /56 assigned to it. When I tried to set up the inside/outside configs on my firewall, I could connect out from the firewall itself, but couldn't get connections from other machines behind the firewall. I think I was missing something with pulling one of the delegated subnets from the WAN interface, or my provider maybe didn't set up routing for any of the other subnets. Once I set up bridging so that I was using the same IPv6 subnet as the inside LAN interface, everything worked like a champ.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around IPv6. Anyone out there worked with it enough to understand what I'm talking about and maybe give me a few pointers or tricks to try?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Well, I heard back from the cable company. Evidently even though I have IPv6 connectivity, they aren't officially supporting IPv6 yet. So I guess I'll stick with my bridging scenario that is working at the moment, and check back in later on the prefix delegation stuff.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote