NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

RIP David Bowie

David Bowie Dies: Rock And Fashion Icon Was 69

NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:43 AM   #2
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU

I HATE YOU!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:58 AM   #3
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Wow - what a loss.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:59 AM   #4
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Old 01-11-2016, 05:56 AM   #5
dzilla77
High School Varsity

Can you hear me Major Tom? RIP
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:22 AM   #6
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Ziggy played guitar...damn
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:46 AM   #7
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I didn't realize he was sick.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:04 AM   #8
King of New York
High School Varsity

Dammit.

His late-70s collaborations with Brian Eno, Robert Fripp, and Adrian Belew are masterpieces.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:25 AM   #9
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

A simply amazing body of work from an individual who has yet to be replicated.

I was listening to Blackstar yesterday remarking to the wife how creepy it was (the video is hypnotic), and now if seems easier to understand that this was his parting gift to the masses.

I've read he was battling cancer for almost 18 months, and it seems this was the last burst of creativity.

It seems very David Bowie-ish to force cancer to submit to your will so you could finish your last album which has ruminations of death and the beyond. Release it on your birthday and then pass 3 days later.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #10
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU FU CANCER I HATES YPOU

I HATE YOU!

That sums up my feelings.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #11
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-11-2016 at 08:21 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:32 AM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

That's well put. Yeah, feeling robbed here, he likely had another reinvention or two in him.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:04 AM   #13
whomario
Pro Starter

Damn ... His last album was released only 2 days ago and it is pretty amazing ... Those 2 new (or "late" ) and stellar albums of 2013/2016 have hopefully introduced a whole new generation to his brilliance.

Quote:
look up here, I’m in heaven/I’ve got scars that can’t be seen

“Oh, I’ll be free / Just like the bluebird / Oh, I’ll be free / Ain’t that just like me?”

In retrospect, that song and video were very reminiscent of Cashs Hurt

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 01-11-2016 at 09:36 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:32 AM   #14
King of New York
High School Varsity

Aye, Blackstar (and especially the song "Lazarus") is amazing--what a magnificent way to wrap up a career and a life.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:36 AM   #15
britrock88
Pro Starter

Man, oh man.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #16
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

This doesnt bide well for the rest of us. RiP David Bowie.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #17
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Was really bummed when I heard the news. The man was an absolute icon of music. I don't know that anyone actually embodied the idea of both a rock star and an artist like he did.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #18
Groundhog
Coordinator

This news shocked me, and I'm not even a huge Bowie fan. I like him in a 'classic rock icon' type of way - I'm familiar with a lot of his popular songs, but I've not really sought out his music. The age I am, the first thing that jumps to my mind when I see David Bowie is Labyrinth.

Been listening to Bowie on Spotify (like most of the world I would think) and beginning to appreciate his versatility. Really liking Blackstar after one listen, in particular.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:46 PM   #19
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post

Been listening to Bowie on Spotify (like most of the world I would think) and beginning to appreciate his versatility. Really liking Blackstar after one listen, in particular.

be sure to listen to the mid/late 70s albums ("Berlin Trilogy" --> Low/Heroes/Lodger, although the latter is actually more of a break than the Trilogy title makes it sound like) in full as well. While "Heroes" is obviously a ridiculously powerfull song on its own, listening to the whole album is something else. Those 3 records are, to me, the closest music can come to be comparable to the great "writer-novels" (say Infinite Jest for DFW f.e.). Artists/Big Time Stars just don´t do this anymore (or at least don´t get noticed), simply stop what they are doing and then go to a foreign country and reinvent themselves like he did there.

Admittedly i am biased, but that part of his biography always really endeared me to him as a person.

EDIT: Guess most have seen this already, but if not its really a brilliant work:

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 01-11-2016 at 04:50 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:03 PM   #20
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Bowie won the Grammy for Blackstar for Best ROck SOng...

don't think anyone will protest that.

(maybe Kanye...)
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:19 PM   #21
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Best Rock Song
Best Rock Performance
Best Alternative Music Album
Best Recording Package
BestEngineered Album (Non-Classical)

Swept everything it was nominated for