Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2003, 01:07 AM   #51
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfc22
Just put the top 4 teams in a playoff. One extra game is NOT going to hurt anybody. Don't give me the students have exams excuse either. Money talks and a 4 team playoff would bring big money to these schools. Isn't their a lof of money to be had from the BS system anyways?

Yes, I did mean BS if you were wondering.

this is a great idea in theory. but the only problem is (and i think ive mentioned it before) is no longer is the argument about who is #1 and #2, but if you take the top 4 teams, it becomes who is #4, #5 or even #6 and why they deserve to be one of the top 4 teams.

only thing i can think of that would work is conference champions and some at large teams in a playoff system. but who am i to know.

hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:15 AM   #52
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

In a strange sort of way, the system may work this year.

I think that most people can agree that LSU, OU, and USC all deserve a shot at being the "national champion." I think that we can also (mostly) agree that these three teams are the only three teams that deserve this shot.

Assuming that we agree on these things, we have a situation where all three teams get the shot at being the national champion. If USC wins its bowl game, then it will almost certainly remain as AP #1 and get a share of the "national championship." The LSU/OU winner will also get a share of the "national championship."

In effect, all three "deserving" teams have a shot at the "National Championship." Things could be worse.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:20 AM   #53
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As for the computers, they take into account the entire season. They don't put a snapshot on a single game. Over the course of the season, OU had the toughest SOS, the most quality wins (thanks to Georgia being knocked out of LSU's) and a loss to the toughest team of the bunch.

Yet OU didn't even win it's conference. I think a good argument can be made that the two conference winners should get to play in New Orleans... not the a champion and a wild card team, when there is another champion to play against .

Quote:
this is a great idea in theory. but the only problem is (and i think ive mentioned it before) is no longer is the argument about who is #1 and #2, but if you take the top 4 teams, it becomes who is #4, #5 or even #6 and why they deserve to be one of the top 4 teams.

Which is much more palatable, don't you think? #5 getting left out is better than #3 getting left out, especially in college football where teams play vastly varying schedules.

Quote:
only thing i can think of that would work is conference champions and some at large teams in a playoff system. but who am i to know.

Totally agree!
Old 12-08-2003, 09:21 AM   #54
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Enough with the debate!

Michigan will beat USC. LSU or OU will win. LSU/OU willl be #1, Michigan #2, and so on and so forth.

M GO BLUE!!

That being said, it's good to see a solid Michigan team get to play a role in all of this. Save some crappy special teams play in the early-mid part of the season, they could been headed to the Sugar Bowl and all of this would be moot. Again.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:32 AM   #55
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yikes! Could you imagine this mess if Michigan's special teams didn't suck so badly against Oregon?
Old 12-08-2003, 09:46 AM   #56
Butter
Coordinator

I'd just like to note that on behalf of Ohioans everywhere, I want to thank the Fiesta Bowl from saving OSU from going to Miami and losing a road game to a Miami team that already got beat by the Bucks last year. Am I the only one who didn't care to see that matchup again?

Of course, it would've been better than FSU-Miami. We already see that game EVERY YEAR. Ugh.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:48 AM   #57
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Of course the Orange Bowl had no choice on that one. The Fiesta snatched up Ohio State.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:00 AM   #58
TroyF
Coordinator

Yet OU didn't even win it's conference. I think a good argument can be made that the two conference winners should get to play in New Orleans... not the a champion and a wild card team, when there is another champion to play against .

You know, I agree with you on a playoff. I've argued for one for years.

Yet the conference championship thing doesn't hold water until EVERY conference has to play one. That's not to say USC wouldn't have won theirs this year, because they probably would have. (KState, Texas, OU and Oklahoma State could probably beat everyone in the PAC 10 now save USC, the conference is that poor.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:13 PM   #59
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by ISiddiqui
Yikes! Could you imagine this mess if Michigan's special teams didn't suck so badly against Oregon?

I think the bigger problem was Michigan stubbornly clinging to their running game for most of the game, ignoring the fact that the Duck's corners were awful. Only midway through the 2nd half did the Wolverine coaches get a clue and started attacking the weak Oregon secondary, and they nearly came back to win the game.

Michigan is going to find out that USC is a MUCH more difficult opponent than Oregon...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote