Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #351
PilotMan
Head Coach

NDSU/JMU tonight on ESPN2 at 700p East coast.

Either we keep the run to the title alive or we go down to a very good Colonial team. No matter the result, we've far exceeded the expectation. JMU has a mobile QB threat and their O line and D line are just about as big as ours so it's going to be a war for the LoS. Whoever wins that, wins the game.

Next week will be a rematch one way or another. Eastern Washington plays Youngstown St on Saturday and NDSU beat both of those schools this year. YSU plays a very similar style to NDSU while Eastern has a crazy offensive attack that can beat any team along with a solid defense.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #352
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Minnesota can't back down here. Players can't pout and overturn rulings of the athletic department.

What if the players are right? I'm not saying they are. All I know about the situation is what I've read from the players and parents. I know enough that I'd like to hear more.

I don't think you can make a blanket comment like "burn the program to the ground" or "these kids are selfish" until you find out if they have a point.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:49 AM   #353
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm shocked - SHOCKED - that Petrino may have been lying about Louisville's role in Wakeyleaks:

Tom Jurich's Wakeyleaks statement brings more questions than answers - FootballScoop

The entire Louisville denial bothered me from the start. "they never ran the plays, so it was was OK" "We would have prepared for those plays anyway"

That isn't a denial of "we don't know what you are talking about" That's a statement that says "Yep, we did it. But no big deal"

I agree the coach who they said talked to this guy on the phone will be made the fall guy for it. I don't buy for a second Petrino didn't know about it.

Of course, my hate can't just be directed at Louisville. It sounds like a lot of college coaches paid this guy for information and none of them bothered to turn this over to WF.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:53 AM   #354
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
What if the players are right? I'm not saying they are. All I know about the situation is what I've read from the players and parents. I know enough that I'd like to hear more.

I don't think you can make a blanket comment like "burn the program to the ground" or "these kids are selfish" until you find out if they have a point.

From this article: Gophers players boycott football, leaving bowl game in jeopardy - StarTribune.com
Quote:
Some of the players were directly accused by a female student in an alleged sexual assault in the early morning hours after the Gophers’ Sept. 2 season opener; the involvement of others is unclear. The school discipline comes weeks after a criminal investigation resulted in no arrests or charges. The woman’s allegations were documented through police reports and court testimony, and ultimately led to the EOAA investigation.

One year suspension for unclear involvement?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:05 AM   #355
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
From this article: Gophers players boycott football, leaving bowl game in jeopardy - StarTribune.com

I understand there is a difference between a criminal charge being filed and what a university of sports organization has to do.

Ray Rice punching his fiance in the elevator resulted in very little by the legal system. Hardy was able to pay off his accuser. Just because the charges weren't proven, there might have been some other university standard which was violated. "drinking, drug use, curfew violations, etc.)

I read a quote from one of the parents that said "My kid did nothing wrong" Ok, a parent is going to say that. But there has to be more to it than "maybe they were there and they should be suspended"

I'm guessing that's what happened here. The players were all told WHY they were suspended and I'm sure they told their teammates. The teammates think it's garbage and they are being treated unfairly.

I still don't know the entire situation, but I really do want to know their reasoning for suspending guys who weren't part of the criminal investigation.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:24 AM   #356
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
The entire Louisville denial bothered me from the start. "they never ran the plays, so it was was OK" "We would have prepared for those plays anyway"

That isn't a denial of "we don't know what you are talking about" That's a statement that says "Yep, we did it. But no big deal"

I agree the coach who they said talked to this guy on the phone will be made the fall guy for it. I don't buy for a second Petrino didn't know about it.

Of course, my hate can't just be directed at Louisville. It sounds like a lot of college coaches paid this guy for information and none of them bothered to turn this over to WF.

Look at Jurich's statement and compare to the statement by Whit Babcock.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #357
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I still don't know the entire situation, but I really do want to know their reasoning for suspending guys who weren't part of the criminal investigation.

It doesn't address the latter half of your statement, and isn't quite the "entire" situation but this link has the best reporting on the situation from what I've seen. I was all "fuck the players" until I read this.

Gophers football players face expulsion, 1-year suspension over sexual assault allegation | Star Tribune
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #358
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post

Its a Title IX case. The university can't let any of the guys who were alleged or had a connection to a sexual assault play in a bowl game. That would be bad for business as well.

They (the University) are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.

You either take the hit from the players, or you potentially take a hit from a Title IX lawsuit which can be in the millions. They need to look tough, and as the investigation precedes or other information comes out the suspensions can be reduced depending on university policy
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #359
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Minnesota can't back down here. Players can't pout and overturn rulings of the athletic department.
I suppose technically the athletic department suspended them, but it's really the Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action office that levied these penalties, unless you want to argue the athletic department could have continued playing players who were in the process of being expelled or suspended by a school judicial board, which is a guaranteed firing for the AD and probably the President outside of the SEC. (The 10th kid that only got probation has a much better case.) Now, that said, the way the President & AD have tried to put this on the coaching staff while the coaching staff is refuting that does add some additional background.

According to the aggressive Affirmative Consent policies some of these campuses are enforcing engaging in sexual contact with any girl under the influence of drugs or alcohol is automatically rape. You want to guess the percent of college students who are drunk at a party or during a random hookup?
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.startribune.com/gophers-football-players-plan-to-threaten-boycott-of-bowl-game/406928136/
She said she felt panicked when Djam walked her into his bedroom, but later testified that he never pushed her, prevented her from leaving or said anything threatening to her.

Asked during a court hearing why she didn’t leave, she said, “I felt scared, trapped, isolated with someone I felt had power over me.”

At some point, they began having sex. The police report said “she doesn’t have a recall about how the sex acts started.”
On Sept. 8, police investigators Eric Faulconer and Matthew Wente interviewed Djam. He acknowledged having sex with the woman, but was adamant that it was consensual. As proof, he played them three separate videos, totaling about 90 seconds, taken that morning.

During an 8-second clip, the woman “appears lucid, alert, somewhat playful and fully conscious; she does not appear to be objecting to anything at this time,” Wente wrote in his report. After viewing two additional videos, he wrote “the sexual contact appears entirely consensual.”

Police later interviewed four other players, who each said the sex was consensual.

On Sept. 30, Wente sent the investigation to the Hennepin County Attorney’s office for possible prosecution. In it, he wrote about the videos, “at no time does she indicate that she is in distress or that the contact is unwelcome or nonconsensual.”
I've personally never understood the desire to have group sex with one girl, and I'm glad sexual assault is getting more attention than it used to, but the pendulum has swung too far on campuses and I trust the police who refused to file charges over the Orwellian Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action office.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #360
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Its a Title IX case.

And right there is where this loses credibility.

Worst legislation in U.S. history.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #361
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

FYI Wake found the printed out game plan and playbook during their walk through on Friday night before the game in Louisville's stadium. Of course Wake didnt run the damn plays. They knew UL knew about them and since there was writing on the plays they knew they would try ad counter them.

It is my understanding that immediately Coach Clawson tried to handle this like a responsible adult with Coach Petrino that night. Petrino played dumb, denied he knew what he was talking about. Clawson didnt want the attention and was prepared to make this go away.

From what I understand the informant did not ask for money from anyone. He just wanted his pound of flesh for Clawson.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #362
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I suppose technically the athletic department suspended them, but it's really the Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action office that levied these penalties, unless you want to argue the athletic department could have continued playing players who were in the process of being expelled or suspended by a school judicial board, which is a guaranteed firing for the AD and probably the President outside of the SEC. (The 10th kid that only got probation has a much better case.) Now, that said, the way the President & AD have tried to put this on the coaching staff while the coaching staff is refuting that does add some additional background.

According to the aggressive Affirmative Consent policies some of these campuses are enforcing engaging in sexual contact with any girl under the influence of drugs or alcohol is automatically rape. You want to guess the percent of college students who are drunk at a party or during a random hookup?
I've personally never understood the desire to have group sex with one girl, and I'm glad sexual assault is getting more attention than it used to, but the pendulum has swung too far on campuses and I trust the police who refused to file charges over the Orwellian Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action office.

While I will agree the pendulum has swung too far, who do you think has pushed higher education into doing this? These "Aggressive Affirmative Consent policies" aren't being made by anyone within a higher education office. I can assure you that. We have been forced into this because the police either don't want to investigate it or the DA's refuse to go forward with a case because it could hurt their stats for a potential office if they take some L's. So in steps the federal government with the Vice President pushing President Obama and boom this becomes a giant mess because our justice system cant handle it.

Victims feel justice will be better served on their own college campuses even though we aren't equipped to deal with half of the shit we are dealing with because the court system often times cant and wont deal with this stuff. Ultimately it then falls on our laps to deal with it.

Rather than our DOJ looking to fix their own system, they pushed it into education because its easier for them to threaten to take our funding away, and enforce OCR'S "suggestions and guidance" rather than looking at our law and court system. OCR'S enforcement of things has certainly been interesting and depending on the law firm you talk to isn't back by a ton of Law. Nothing has changed from a university perspective because frankly what university wants to sue the government on its own dime.

Unfortunately, your trust in the police and the system is misplaced. Feel free to read the buzzfeed article about the police that I have to deal with when it comes to rapes on my campus.

This Police Department Tosses Aside Rape Reports When A Victim Doesn’t Resist “To The Best Of Her Ability” - BuzzFeed News

Last edited by muns : 12-16-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:57 AM   #363
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And right there is where this loses credibility.

Worst legislation in U.S. history.

While I wont argue a ton, there was some good stuff that came out if it with women's athletics.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:10 PM   #364
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
FYI Wake found the printed out game plan and playbook during their walk through on Friday night before the game in Louisville's stadium. Of course Wake didnt run the damn plays. They knew UL knew about them and since there was writing on the plays they knew they would try ad counter them.

It is my understanding that immediately Coach Clawson tried to handle this like a responsible adult with Coach Petrino that night. Petrino played dumb, denied he knew what he was talking about. Clawson didnt want the attention and was prepared to make this go away.

From what I understand the informant did not ask for money from anyone. He just wanted his pound of flesh for Clawson.

Yep, and as someone mentioned, VT handled it with class and dignity. Petrino is such a huge piece of crap. Ugh.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #365
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yep, and as someone mentioned, VT handled it with class and dignity. Petrino is such a huge piece of crap. Ugh.

Agreed.
VT's AD is a bawse.
Last year when it became obvious they were going another way at HC...he quietly negotiated and finalized the hire in a week and a half. Meanwhile SC had been without a coach for more than 2 months and was still fumbling to set up interviews.

I am more and more impressed by him with every move I see.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:33 PM   #366
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
It doesn't address the latter half of your statement, and isn't quite the "entire" situation but this link has the best reporting on the situation from what I've seen. I was all "fuck the players" until I read this.

Gophers football players face expulsion, 1-year suspension over sexual assault allegation | Star Tribune

After the suspensions I was initially happy the players were going with #WeHadEnough thinking good on the players for saying they wouldn't have any more sexual assault from players on their team. Guess I should have known better on that. Let them have their boycott and pull out of the bowl game and clean house on the football program. Coaches not suspending these players sooner and then saying they're under attack is an embarrassment.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:27 PM   #367
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
While I will agree the pendulum has swung too far, who do you think has pushed higher education into doing this? These "Aggressive Affirmative Consent policies" aren't being made by anyone within a higher education office. I can assure you that.
I've lived next to UMass, Amherst College, Mt. Holyoke & Smith Colleges the last couple years... you're saying there's no aggressive feminists amongst the faculty? Okay...
Quote:
We have been forced into this because the police either don't want to investigate it or the DA's refuse to go forward with a case because it could hurt their stats for a potential office if they take some L's. So in steps the federal government with the Vice President pushing President Obama and boom this becomes a giant mess because our justice system cant handle it.

Victims feel justice will be better served on their own college campuses even though we aren't equipped to deal with half of the shit we are dealing with because the court system often times cant and wont deal with this stuff. Ultimately it then falls on our laps to deal with it.

Rather than our DOJ looking to fix their own system, they pushed it into education because its easier for them to threaten to take our funding away, and enforce OCR'S "suggestions and guidance" rather than looking at our law and court system. OCR'S enforcement of things has certainly been interesting and depending on the law firm you talk to isn't back by a ton of Law. Nothing has changed from a university perspective because frankly what university wants to sue the government on its own dime.

Unfortunately, your trust in the police and the system is misplaced. Feel free to read the buzzfeed article about the police that I have to deal with when it comes to rapes on my campus.

This Police Department Tosses Aside Rape Reports When A Victim Doesn’t Resist “To The Best Of Her Ability” - BuzzFeed News
I read the DoJ report back when it came out, and obviously Baltimore po-lice suck for a lot of reasons. Up here the Amherst town police are quite competent (if anything they're too excited to arrest UMass students!) & the UMass police are state police, so yeah, I trust their competence and professionalism. Where police departments aren't, or the system is failing, I'm all for reforming them, but unless you have more information than the Star-Tribune that clearly isn't the case here. The police conducted a good faith investigation and didn't merely find a lack of evidence, they actually concluded it was "entirely consensual", which I assume isn't a phrase police detectives throw around lightly. Then a board of people I don't want to cast aspersions on, but assume aren't as experienced as actual detectives and judges, convicted them and throws around phrases like "more probable than not" (which is a huge trigger word for me as a Pats fan ) I couldn't agree with this brief op-ed more - there shouldn't be one standard of guilt on college campuses and a different one elsewhere, especially when sexual assault is actually more prevalent for girls who don't matriculate to college.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:03 PM   #368
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

The Mixon video has been released.

I am literally shaking with rage after watching it.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #369
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
The Mixon video has been released.

I am literally shaking with rage after watching it.

Lets not forget that Stoops also took Green-Beckham and fought hard to get him eligible immediately.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #370
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Yeah, I'm on the fuck the players (or the Empire) side. 80 pages and your story is contradicted by your own texts. Why lie if you did nothing wrong? Copy and pasted from someone on Reddit who I guess had time to read the 80 page report but what I'd read you could tell that A2 (Djam) isn't exactly the guys I'd want to be defending since he is into recording/participating in threesomes without consent.
-----
A1, A4, and A5 were held culpable for forced group sex with RS without consent. The police department found, based partially on the videotape, that there was not enough evidence that consent had not been given. EOAA disagrees, citing the group's various conflicting/contradictory statements with each other and with others, and placing a greater degree of credibility on RS' statement. Both A2 (in the group text) and A12 reported that there were 3 players "running train" on RS.

A6 was also held culpable for non-consensual sex with RS. This is a direct he-said she-said situation, as it was a singular encounter. A6 had previously given conflicting testimony to the EOAA regarding the activities of A1, A4, and A5. As a result, the EOAA felt it was 'more likely than not' that RS' claim (non-consensual) was correct and that A6's claim (consensual) was incorrect.
A2 was held culpable for videotaping the encounter (the source of the videos). EOAA rules that his sexual encounter with RS was likely consensual, but that his videotaping of the encounter was not (no verbal consent was given).

All other suspects were found to be guilty of sexual harassment for crowding around the bedroom door and watching at various times throughout the night - the EOAA ruled it was impossible to determine whether or not they had participated in the act itself. The police found no evidence to suggest this, but the EOAA did - based on the contradictory/conflicting statements given by the accused and by giving a greater degree of credibility to RS' statements. In particular, the text messages sent as part of the 'Empire' messaging group directly contradict many of the suspects' claims (e.g. A6 claimed he was in his bedroom during the first encounter and never knew of what was happening; however, a text from him reading "ran train?" indicates that he was aware of what was happening).

The key witness A12 reported the names of the suspects who had gathered around the door. The EOAA treated him as a reliable witness, and used his testimony to oppose the claims of other suspects that they were not in the apartment/were in other rooms.

Given the numerous conflicting/contradictory statements given by the different players involved, the EOAA chose to discredit their testimony in all cases when it opposed that of RS, unless it was consistent with the accounts of credible witnesses/third parties. The police report did not do this because RS could not remember much of the account and gave unclear details; RS' testimony to EOAA was much clearer and more detailed than the info she gave to the police.
-----
KSTP Exclusive: 80-Page Report Outlines U of M Investigation into Gophers Football Players | KSTP.com
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #371
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
RS' testimony to EOAA was much clearer and more detailed than the info she gave to the police.

More time to rehearse?
Old 12-16-2016, 08:32 PM   #372
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Lets not forget that Stoops also took Green-Beckham and fought hard to get him eligible immediately.

To quote someone from Reddit-

Friendly reminder that Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops saw the video, and decided to keep Mixon on the team.

Friendly reminder that Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops somehow knew nothing about Dede Westbrook allegedly "throwing the mother of his two children to the ground in 2012 and biting the same woman's arm and punching her with a closed fist in 2013, according to police reports."

Friendly reminder that Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops let Dorial Green-Beckham on the team after DGB got kicked out of Missouri for two marijuana arrests and then allegedly pushing a female Missouri student down 4 flights of stairs and had a felony warrant for first degree burglary.

Friendly reminder that Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops let Frank Shannon back on the team after a Title IX investigation ended with him suspended for a year for sexual assault (he would have been expelled had the investigatory panel's recommendation not been overturned by OU's VP for student affairs).

Friendly reminder that Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops let Justin Chaisson on the team after he kidnapped his girlfriend and threatened to kill her with a screwdriver. - thanks to /u/cms186allowed Josh Jarboe on the team after his two felony gun charges were pleaded down to misdemeanors. However, Jarboe eventually was dismissed from the team after a YouTube video of him rapping about shooting people surfaced on the Internet.

Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops, ladies and gentlemen.

edit: I'm sure there's more but I'm getting off my computer now
Old 12-16-2016, 09:12 PM   #373
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, that sucked.

Like Steam?

Old 12-16-2016, 10:47 PM   #374
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Well, that sucked.

Hard to imagine a run like that will ever be replicated in the FCS or FBS.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #375
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
More time to rehearse?

Sure, anything is possible.

At least she wasn't dumb enough to film herself doing it or text it to her whore syndicate that women were free to come over and have the "privilege" of getting a train run on them. By the way, safe to assume the recruit was underage?

What's next? You're going to tell me that the girl deserved to have her face broken in the Mixon tape because that table was begging to get in on the action with Mixon?
Old 12-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #376
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

And the Minnesota players bail on their boycott already.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #377
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
By the way, safe to assume the recruit was underage?

Correct.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #378
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I've lived next to UMass, Amherst College, Mt. Holyoke & Smith Colleges the last couple years... you're saying there's no aggressive feminists amongst the faculty? Okay... I read the DoJ report back when it came out, and obviously Baltimore po-lice suck for a lot of reasons. Up here the Amherst town police are quite competent (if anything they're too excited to arrest UMass students!) & the UMass police are state police, so yeah, I trust their competence and professionalism. Where police departments aren't, or the system is failing, I'm all for reforming them, but unless you have more information than the Star-Tribune that clearly isn't the case here. The police conducted a good faith investigation and didn't merely find a lack of evidence, they actually concluded it was "entirely consensual", which I assume isn't a phrase police detectives throw around lightly. Then a board of people I don't want to cast aspersions on, but assume aren't as experienced as actual detectives and judges, convicted them and throws around phrases like "more probable than not" (which is a huge trigger word for me as a Pats fan ) I couldn't agree with this brief op-ed more - there shouldn't be one standard of guilt on college campuses and a different one elsewhere, especially when sexual assault is actually more prevalent for girls who don't matriculate to college.

Nope, I'm not saying there aren't feminists amongst the faculty, the staff who whatever or whoever. What I am saying is that there is no way a feminist is getting near a room where she makes policy. She learns too far to one side, and that side cannot win. Things need to be fair.

People can call me and say whatever they want, call me whatever they want, but at the end of the day, my campus policy isn't changing because not only am I the guy that helps write it, but I am the guy that is out in front investigating and adjudicating these cases. When they want to put the time in like I have, then sure I will invite them to the table, but until then, they can say whatever they want to say, but that voice has no bearing on a campus policy. If it does, then there is something seriously messed up at that campus and with their administration.

The reason I linked the article I did was to show you that its not just the Baltimore county police department that is screwing this up. Its all over the place and country. And the DOJ report that you are talking about had nothing to do with the police department that I have to deal with on my campus. Baltimore city police, and Baltimore county police are 2 different police forces and have 2 different jurisdictions.

Where my frustrations lay is with the general public here. Everybody just assumes that police forces are better at dealing with these kinds of cases, so let me attempt to show you the other side which I still cant believe hasn't been reported on yet.

In the article I linked, Baltimore county had like 140 rape cases reported for an entire year. That 140 is spread around an entire sex division unit that has a decent amount of people in it.

I just did 28 cases myself last year on my campus, and this isn't my first year. I have been around the block a few times.

The feds have put such a scare into colleges and universities that we are spending TONS of money on investigator trainings and techniques so we don't have OCR coming onto our campus and turning things inside out and ending up on that dreaded list of OCR investigations.

Anybody that does these investigations on a college campus is required to be trained annually. I can safely say I get trained about 5 times a year. Not only do I get trained that many times, but I have been trained by the best. When you go to these trainings that cost ten's of thousands of dollars, we aren't getting joe schmoe's down the street from the local academy. You get the guru's who have wrote the published articles, books and the legit experts.

I question if my local sex crimes unit not only get retrained as many times in a year as I do, but also question the quality of who is giving those trainings.

So devils advocate here is that the colleges are taking a shit ton of flack for doing what the federal government is imposing, getting called kangaroo courts and shit, but the reality is we very well may be more qualified to deal with these situations than the local police, especially in small town USA.

Now granted there are situations, where you have IDIOTS running institutions and figure they can do whatever they want, and then end up screwing everything up ala Baylor, but they are the outlier here and not the norm. People want to do the right thing here.

The last thing you wrote about is the standard and how it shouldn't be different, and I will ask you why? We aren't the court system in college. Our sanctions aren't as close to being as harsh, so why cant a university have a higher standard? Each party gets due process, even though I hate using that term, again because we aren't a freaking court room. Each party has the right to bring a lawyer to any and all meetings that I run.

I am torn on this issue, and here is why. Personally, I hate doing these things. To have to sit there and listen to these young women tell me their story about how a train got ran on them, and to have to work my way through the tears, the sobs, the emotional outbursts. You name it, it is happened in a meeting I have ran. It quite literally breaks my heart to hear their truths, but I have to stay objective. I cant promise her anything, but the emotional toll it takes on me. I cant quite put it into words how draining, and exhausting these things are to do. So I don't want to do them, and would much rather the police do them. I didn't sign up for this in grad school, its simply been forced down my throat.

But I can tell you this. I know I am good at my job, and that no matter the sob story, I have to be objective. I want parents to know that while I don't have kids, when I do, I want my daughter to be treated with dignity and respect.

On the flip side, if I have a son, I don't want him being railroaded simply because he is male. His story also needs to be heard, and be treated with dignity and respect.

I care about these kids because I choose to go into student affairs on a college campus.

Your local beat cop doesn't have the same level of care, nor the same level of trainings as I do. They simply don't, and I have the utmost respect for cops. I could never deal with what they do. But if the local beat cop messes up the report, or misses something the victim says, these don't even get investigated. The report I linked earlier shows it, so what does the victim have left?

I don't have an issue with the op-ed piece you linked. I think the law makers do need to sac up and figure this out because the mess we are in is kind of their fault.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #379
Suicane75
Coordinator

This D2 title game is the greatest thing ever. I wish they had to play 12 quarters.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #380
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
More time to rehearse?

My money here is that due to trauma, more stuff came out on her interviews with the school than the police.

I am sure they used trauma informed investigative techniques, the same techniques the police use, but they did their investigation after the police, or at least some time (a week or 2) after the police and her brain had more time to process and piece together things. Typically, the police ask the University to not to start their investigation (so that the university doesn't taint it), and asks for a certain amount of time frame before they start.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #381
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

muns: This semester I've been dealing as a professor with a student that was raped and it's been very difficult. I can't imagine dealing with that sort of thing regularly. It's good to hear you talk about the importance of what you do.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #382
tarcone
Coordinator

I heard on the radio people are trying to change policies that would take the colleges out of the rape equation. As in, women would have to go to the police as opposed to the people on campus that would handle the case.
The women on the radio said that if this happened, 9 out of 10 rapes would go unreported.

I think the policy shift has something to do with Title 9.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #383
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I heard on the radio people are trying to change policies that would take the colleges out of the rape equation. As in, women would have to go to the police as opposed to the people on campus that would handle the case.
The women on the radio said that if this happened, 9 out of 10 rapes would go unreported.

I think the policy shift has something to do with Title 9.

Maybe they should charge players for filming recruits having sex with child pornography while they are at it. I'm sure it's possible for this to be the case in several states and wouldn't be a cop first thought watching the videos.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #384
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sure, anything is possible.

Hey, that's more honesty than the subject seems to be treated with in many circles these days, so I'll take that as a positive.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:23 PM   #385
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Maybe they should charge players for filming recruits having sex with child pornography while they are at it. I'm sure it's possible for this to be the case in several states and wouldn't be a cop first thought watching the videos.

Depends on age for consent and age of participants.
But it's a pretty slippery slope to start punishing people for consensual sexual acts, no matter how vile. I'm sure there are folks who consider group hetero sex acts much less troubling than monogamous same sex acts. How do we regulate mortality?
Old 12-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #386
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Oh..and it might help some if ESPN didn't glorify it in one of their 30 for 30s of tha U
Old 12-18-2016, 06:39 PM   #387
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So how bout that Catch by YSU?
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:03 PM   #388
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So how bout that Catch by YSU?

+1

Incredible finish in a game that they were big underdogs for. James Madison will come into the game as a heavy favorite with their win this week, while Bo Pellini promises to have his MVC squad ready to play hard. Look for another war in the trenches between two physical squads. I think the EWU matchup would have been more interesting, but I'll take the local, MVC team to cheer for without the Bison rolling into Frisco.

Like Steam?

Old 12-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #389
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Depends on age for consent and age of participants.
But it's a pretty slippery slope to start punishing people for consensual sexual acts, no matter how vile. I'm sure there are folks who consider group hetero sex acts much less troubling than monogamous same sex acts. How do we regulate mortality?

Is it a slippery slope in that situation(filming it)? So if it was a 16-17 female recruit it would be seen as okay because it was a consensual sex act? My point was if they want to get rid of the rape part, it's no different than them obviously (in some cases) getting rid of the chance of child pornography and distribution of the taping because it was a guy who was the minor.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #390
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
NDSU/JMU tonight on ESPN2 at 700p East coast.

Either we keep the run to the title alive or we go down to a very good Colonial team. No matter the result, we've far exceeded the expectation. JMU has a mobile QB threat and their O line and D line are just about as big as ours so it's going to be a war for the LoS. Whoever wins that, wins the game.

Next week will be a rematch one way or another. Eastern Washington plays Youngstown St on Saturday and NDSU beat both of those schools this year. YSU plays a very similar style to NDSU while Eastern has a crazy offensive attack that can beat any team along with a solid defense.

Just caught the result here. Sorry Pilot, it was indeed a great run by NDSU. Will just have to start a new string next season
Old 12-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #391
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Just caught the result here. Sorry Pilot, it was indeed a great run by NDSU. Will just have to start a new string next season

Thanks. No one ever expected it to go as long as it did, but you never wanted it to end and you never really hit that wall where the team just wasn't as good anymore. So the possibility of always winning was there.

This team has very few seniors who are graduating that played a major impact. Our best defensive player should be back (he was a Senior, but he's already applied for extension of his eligibility) after missing his year with an injury and everyone else is still coming back. Next year we should be right back in the hunt.

Like Steam?