Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-11-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Ping: Cartman or other Austin, TX familiar people (BBQ Question)

I'll be flying into Austin Sunday morning and leaving Thursday morning. I like BBQ, but born and raised in Ohio with not much traveling to the Carolinas, Texas, Mempis, KC areas I haven't really had REAL BBQ. I plan on changing that this coming week in Austin.

I have done some very light research into the BBQ scene. Obviously, Franklin's in the one I see quite all over the place. I'll be getting brisket 100% and maybe ribs but who knows. Another that I have seen very highly regarded is La Barbacue. But I am also sure that there are 10-20 places that will serve me the best BBQ I've ever had. Essentially, if I were to go to ONE place where would you go? I may be able to squeeze two in there, but I'm not sure how much the girlfriend is really into going all out on BBQ as she also wants to check out some mexican (taco) food trucks and what not.

Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Franklin's is top of the heap, but there is the INCREDIBLY long wait. Figure on spending an entire morning in line. Tuesdays and Wednesdays aren't too bad, but still usually have the line starting to form around 9am for the 11am opening. La Barbecue is great, as is Micklethwait's. All three of those are in the same general area.

Another key is which part of town you are staying, and if you'll have a car. A road trip to Lockhart is always a good choice, with Kreutz, Smitty's and Black's all having loyal followings. There is also the original Salt Lick in Driftwood.

To placate your girlfriend, there are lots and lots of great food trucks and taco places. My personal favorite for tacos is TacoDeli, but other people swear by Fuzzy's.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
digamma
Torchbearer

Several of the places on the outside of town are BYOB. Just FYI. We showed up at Salt Lick ready to have a few cold pops and were surprised.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I know we are near downtown, not sure where. Staying with her friend. Apartment is "on the river and about a 5-10 minute walk to downtown" is all I know.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:22 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Several of the places on the outside of town are BYOB. Just FYI. We showed up at Salt Lick ready to have a few cold pops and were surprised.

Should have let me know, I would have brought a few over!

Last edited by cartman : 10-11-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #6
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I know we are near downtown, not sure where. Staying with her friend. Apartment is "on the river and about a 5-10 minute walk to downtown" is all I know.

The only one that I've eaten at downtown was Iron Works. It was a while ago, but I thought it was good, and had a good atmosphere.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:05 PM   #7
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Franklin's is top of the heap, but there is the INCREDIBLY long wait. Figure on spending an entire morning in line. Tuesdays and Wednesdays aren't too bad, but still usually have the line starting to form around 9am for the 11am opening. La Barbecue is great, as is Micklethwait's. All three of those are in the same general area.

Another key is which part of town you are staying, and if you'll have a car. A road trip to Lockhart is always a good choice, with Kreutz, Smitty's and Black's all having loyal followings. There is also the original Salt Lick in Driftwood.

I would also recommend the original Salt Lick. Some friends of mine and I did the Lockhart tour, and frankly I was pretty unimpressed. I still think some of the best BBQ in the state is at the Rudy's "gas station" in Round Rock. Whenever I'm within 50 miles, I make it a point to route through the Rock to hit up Rudys. Love it.

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 10-12-2016 at 01:05 PM.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:11 PM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

I've said many times that one of the main things that sold me on my house was the proximity to the Salt Lick!
Old 10-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Meant to bump this the other day but just wanted to say thanks for the info. In the end had a great time there and now I understand the love my girlfriend has for the city. Great food, great people, great weather. Honestly, I'm fully on board with moving there, but god damn the cost of living for house prices and rent is trending way beyond where I would be able to afford in a couple years.

Had franklins. Was outstanding as expected. So glad I got to experience it Got there at around 815 and was eating by 1130. Didn't mind waiting in line at all, but I'm sure if I lived there it would get old real quick. That ended up being it for BBQ and I was fine with that.

Had some great coffee places (Summer Moon, Radio, Buzzmill, and more), had some of the best tacos (Torchys, Radio's truck, a couple others I am forgetting as we had tacos every day and sometimes twice a day), and had a good time on the patio at Shady Grove after having an afternoon at Barton Springs which was cool as hell.

Beautiful city you folks have.