Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who has your vote as of 9/13/2016?
Donald Trump 13 11.50%
Hillary Clinton 60 53.10%
Gary Johnson 26 23.01%
Jill Stein 2 1.77%
Other (specify in thread) 2 1.77%
I wouldn't vote for any of them 10 8.85%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2016, 06:36 PM   #51
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Personally I think anyone trying to excuse HRC for the deplorable remark in any way really needs to take a step back and consider how close they are to her. That was a bad moment, probably her worst in this campaign so far.
If Trump had made that comment, there would be a firestorm in the media 100 times larger than what the response to Hillary has been.

Quote:
They're both shitty and deserving of contempt.
Agreed

VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #52
tarcone
Coordinator

Yeah, but HRC was only talking about the bad people. Not the good people. And bad people deserve to be called names.

Come on guys. Where you been?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:50 PM   #53
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Personally I think anyone trying to excuse HRC for the deplorable remark in any way really needs to take a step back and consider how close they are to her. That was a bad moment, probably her worst in this campaign so far.

Why? She called out the assholes, and in the next breath, called out people who are feeling lost, forgotten, desperate, etc.

Why is "here's the literal actual context" "excusing" her? She didn't utter those words, drop the mic, and walk off the stage. It sounds bad as a soundbite, absolutely.

But if you have the ability to engage in more than the most basic political analysis, you're capable of engaging with "context."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #54
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
No, I really, really think you don't know what the word "racist" means.

Well pat yourself on the back and have a cookie, because I couldn't give a shit what you think.

Last edited by MizzouCowboy : 09-14-2016 at 07:44 PM. Reason: ....
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #55
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouCowboy View Post
Well pat yourself on the back and have a cookie, because I couldn't give a shot what you think.

Well, don't blame me if the candidate you vote for wins and turns this world into shot.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #56
Dutch
"Dutch"

Stupid smart phones. Don't lie and say that's never happened to you!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:36 PM   #57
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, don't blame me if the candidate you vote for wins and turns this world into shot.

Im not voting for Clinton. Oh wait, you said world and not the US. Sorry.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #58
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Im not voting for Clinton. Oh wait, you said world and not the US. Sorry.

Right. You're voting for Johnson, so thanks for your help in getting Clinton to the White House!
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:09 PM   #59
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Right. You're voting for Johnson, so thanks for your help in getting Clinton to the White House!

Or Trump.

Unfortunately more people do not see the adults running in this election. Its the unwashed masses vs. the brain washed. Talk about wasting their votes.

More people need to think outside the box and look at the candidate who has actually made decisions that succeeded in environments that were not in their favor.
But that won't happen, because he isn't a dem or repub.

Last edited by tarcone : 09-14-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:37 PM   #60
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
You are imputing all kinds of motives to her that are completely irrelevant to the actual words she used.

You're looking for a reason to hate her, and that's fine, but it still doesn't change my central point: she did not say "Trump supporters are in what I call a basket of deplorables" and leave it at that. She specified that it was a portion of them, and she specified what "deplorables" were contained in that basket.

And do you agree that half of Trump supporters are "deplorable"?

Are you a racist?
No, but thanks for asking. I will admit I have met numerous people, whether they be white, black, red, yellow or what other color you can dream up that I didn't particularly care for.

Are you a sexist?
Again, no. But I do find the hot child molester thread quite disgusting and a disgrace to this site, so yeah I guess I do have some problems with a few certain type of women.

Are you a xenophobe?
Well no, but thanks for your concerns. Having traveled the world I've been blessed to meet some amazing people. What I do have a problem with is ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. You know, those darn pesky little LAWS that we don't get to pick and choose which ones we like.

Are you a homophobe?
Hmm, I'm starting to see a trend here. And again, the answer is no. I actually support gay marriage, have gay friends, and -gasp- had gay neighbors that would help me out as much as I helped them. We even partied together and were quite saddened when their missing cat, who we helped look for for three days, was found in a ditch.

Do you hate people for having the temerity to be Muslim?
I'm 51% agnostic and 49% atheist, so I really find all beliefs to be an incredible waste of time. Weird thing is on my evening run tonight I was thinking about God and stuff, and my thoughts went to if he'd just appear and tell everyone to chill out or give me some kind of sign. Not a minute later a huge lightning bolt hit less than a mile away, heh, ok that's not funny. I get back and garmin tells me my calories burnt were 666.

if you've answered yes to any or all of these, you belong in the "basket of deplorables."

If not, you are quite literally saying "WOO GO RACISTS I GOT YOUR BACK" as a way of stigginit to "Shrillary" and the librulz.

That last sentence appears to be showing your true colors. I guess it's ok to make fun of less educated people. Gotcha.

(Ahh close enough damn formatting)
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #61
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

More people need to think outside the box and look at the candidate who has actually made decisions that succeeded in environments that were not in their favor.

Or, you know, people disagree with their policies.

Whether Trump or Clinton, most people support them because they support what they believe the candidate will do.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #62
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:

Interesting. And here I thought I didn't like him because I loathe his fiscal policies and think he'd pick awful SCOTUS Justices, which undermines any agreement I have with him on social policies.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:01 PM   #63
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
That last sentence appears to be showing your true colors. I guess it's ok to make fun of less educated people. Gotcha.

(Ahh close enough damn formatting)

Two of those three are terms I have seen used regularly, and completely straight-faced, by certain members of conservative society.

Now I will admit that "stigginit" doesn't get used with the same regularity as calling Secretary Clinton "Shrillary" (or any of a dozen other homophones). I have seen "librulz" and "liebruls" and various other misspellings of the word, used with no apparent irony.

So if I use phrases used by some who identify with Republican goals, how is that making fun of them, exactly?

Is that a case of "that's OUR word, you can't use that word"?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:27 AM   #64
stevew
Hall Of Famer

it's libtards not librulz
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:04 AM   #65
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Well pat yourself on the back and have a cookie, because I couldn't give a shit what you think.

So you're posting on public message boards why, then?
Old 09-15-2016, 06:00 AM   #66
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
If Trump had made that comment, there would be a firestorm in the media 100 times larger than what the response to Hillary has been.

Honestly, no there wouldn't because we expect it of Trump. Pocahontas says it all.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #67
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
But that moment, for me, made me feel like the single most important thing for me to do, in particular as a father of two daughters, was in some tiny way, to stick it right up that guy's ass.

Just remember that it was the Democratic party that fought to make sodomy legal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
What gets missed by the left here I think is that it's not a matter of self-indentifying with the various negative characteristics that HRC attempted to assign, it's a complete rejection of how those are assigned, the person/faction doing the assigning, and the legitimacy of the majority of such claims in the first place. In short, those of us sick of literally decades of whining are basically just laughing at those who use those terms willy-nilly.

Trump's campaign is built on whining. His core constituency are people who want him to build a wall and practice ruinous trade protectionism so that jobs will come back that they won't take anyway since Trump will certainly protect their disability checks. His speeches are about how everything is terrible and everything is a problem and everyone else is to blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post

Nah, just would have gotten lost in the noise.

Quote:
Yeah, but HRC was only talking about the bad people. Not the good people. And bad people deserve to be called names.

Quote:
Its the unwashed masses vs. the brain washed. Talk about wasting their votes.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #68
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

To be honest, she shouldn't have said the deplorable comment out loud, but she's not wrong. What, something like 60%+ of Trump supporters believe Obama is a Muslim?

I am not sure if I know what the main issue is. Do people object to calling racists, sexists, xenophobes, etc. "deplorable" or do people think that there isn't 50% of Trump's supporters who fall into those boxes.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #69
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I think there's a big overlap between this discussion and the one we had on "liberal smug" earlier in the year.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:27 PM   #70
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I am not sure if I know what the main issue is. Do people object to calling racists, sexists, xenophobes, etc. "deplorable" or do people think that there isn't 50% of Trump's supporters who fall into those boxes.

I'll take this one, since I kinda already addressed it.

The issue is the application of the word, as well as how HRC and her ilk define the various terms. And it's not so much offensive to the supporters honestly, it's more ... comical. Being reviled by HRC and her backers is probably as good a character endorsement as you can get at this point.

The phrase I was trying to come up with as a comparison earlier was "vast right-wing conspiracy". What I'd forgotten is that the phrase -- which became a somewhat commonly re-appropriated self-identifier shortly thereafter -- was also one that gained traction after HRC used it.

She's sold a fair number of t-shirts for conservatives over the years

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-15-2016 at 01:28 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #71
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Deplorable means "deserving strong condemnation". I'm just surprised people think that racism, sexism, xenophobia don't deserve strong condemnation. And there are a lot of Trump supporters who engage in racist, sexist, xenophobic talk - just upthread we heard about running into a Trump support wearing a shirt in public labeling Clinton as a 'cunt'. That's deplorable behavior.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:19 PM   #72
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
I love how, in your barely coherent rambling, you somehow managed to morph being socially tolerant into getting government hand-outs.

25 years ago I never heard people talking about their welfare check and happy. Now I hear it often...... it isn't okay to accept things from people who damage the future. Social tolerant people are not the problem, people that don't care about country and take advantage of people is the issue. Way too many assholes in this world.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:23 PM   #73
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

You clearly weren't listening to the rhetoric around the Clinton welfare reform.

Or Reagan talking about welfare queens.

Or he Nixon/Moynihan reports.

Etc, etc, etc
Old 09-15-2016, 04:56 PM   #74
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
You clearly weren't listening to the rhetoric around the Clinton welfare reform.

Or Reagan talking about welfare queens.

Or he Nixon/Moynihan reports.

Etc, etc, etc
I based it on my own interactions. I would be shocked if you did a poll and people say what I mentioned has not increased at all.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:03 PM   #75
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
25 years ago I never heard people talking about their welfare check and happy. Now I hear it often...... it isn't okay to accept things from people who damage the future. Social tolerant people are not the problem, people that don't care about country and take advantage of people is the issue. Way too many assholes in this world.

1. There are too many assholes in the world.
2. ??????
3. Vote Trump!

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #76
General Mike
Pro Starter

Doesn't matter who I vote for, since I'm a red in a blue state. Not thrilled with either candidate though.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #77
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
1. There are too many assholes in the world.
2. ??????
3. Vote Trump!

This fill in the blank has some potential.

You expect me to tell you why when both canidates have only talked why not the other. Pretty high expectations coming from you.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:27 PM   #78
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
I based it on my own interactions. I would be shocked if you did a poll and people say what I mentioned has not increased at all.

Just as I'm sure the poll would say the same thing twenty years ago, thirty years ago, forty years ago. Bitching about "those people" is as old as the hills.

Last edited by JPhillips : 09-15-2016 at 06:27 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:43 PM   #79
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Deplorable means "deserving strong condemnation". I'm just surprised people think that racism, sexism, xenophobia don't deserve strong condemnation. And there are a lot of Trump supporters who engage in racist, sexist, xenophobic talk - just upthread we heard about running into a Trump support wearing a shirt in public labeling Clinton as a 'cunt'. That's deplorable behavior.

No, that's a description of her that's unkind to the "c word".
She's far more heinous than that word conjures up.

Thing is, I'm not entirely sure I'd put her among the 50 worst public figures in the U.S.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #80
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of deplorable people...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk