Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Rate this computer

I have some considerable best buy refund credits. Is this computer any good, considering the specs vs the price??

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypowe...&skuId=4575226

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #2
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

and this one is almost the exact credit amount:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpow...&skuId=4593000

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 02-27-2016, 09:09 AM   #3
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Sorry Marmel, but those are terrible computers as most pre-builts are. The processors in them are from the Fall of 2012. They are ugly. They are too big for what's in them. And they are overpriced for what you get.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Sorry Marmel, but those are terrible computers as most pre-builts are. The processors in them are from the Fall of 2012. They are ugly. They are too big for what's in them. And they are overpriced for what you get.

I would tend to agree with this if building his own was on the radar. Since the thread is about cashing in Best Buy credit I would say those are about as good as you'll get from them at that price point. If you are set on using your credit there to buy a computer. You could probably kick in a couple hundred more dollars and do much better.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

600-700 dollars for a 3-year old AMD? Dohkay.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #6
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Took me about 20 seconds to find this at Newegg.

iBUYPOWER Desktop Computer Source Series NE-i01SL Intel Core i5 6600K (3.50 GHz) 8 GB DDR4 1 TB HDD Windows 10 Home - Newegg.com

i5-6600k with a gtx 950.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #7
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post

Right! But Marmel was using his Best Buy credit to purchase a computer. There is no argument that there aren't better deals elsewhere.

Last edited by Shepp : 02-27-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:34 PM   #8
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Well it'd be a waste of credit, since the credit is probably worth how much it's overpriced.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:50 PM   #9
thesloppy
Pro Starter

This is some top-notch internet helpz.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:22 PM   #10
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

OK, I'm never going to build my own computer and I don't really care how old or new the parts are. I'm always going to buy pre-built so I accept that I will pay a little more for a little less quality. I've bought many computers from BB and I have never had a problem with any of them, but they have all been HPs.

There is not much else I want or need from BB at this time and the kids could use a new computer, they share an older one and they are getting old enough to have their own thing going on so I can grab a new one and hand down my older one to them.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of buying the 2nd one. It will only cost me S&H.

Last edited by Marmel : 02-27-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:34 PM   #11
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

What are you looking to do with the computer? The reason I ask is because entry level GPUs tend not to age very well as far as gaming performance goes. That 950 is definitely the entry level gaming GPU. I would also hunt around for a computer with an intel processor if it were me. You don't need 16gb of RAM for anything gaming.

All of that said if it's free to you and better than what you have, go for it. I just think the 16gb in that build are overkill and the that the processor is going to be a chokepoint. I don't think it is going to be up to snuff for the 950. It benchmarks worse for gaming than the i5 2500k which Intel released in 2011. Some of the benchmarks I just quickly googled are up to 50% worse.

Last edited by dubb93 : 02-27-2016 at 09:49 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:24 AM   #12
Edward64
Head Coach

Never done this myself but heard you can trade/exchange your gift card for 85% of face value. If this is an option for you ... monitor for sales and buy direct from a vendor (e.g. Dell for me).
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:49 PM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Coinstar allegedly pays 60-85% for gift cards but I've never traded one in.

Looks like cardpool does 556 on an Amazon card or 525 for an instant one if you trade in $600
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:15 PM   #14
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Alright, so I have this gift card that a friend of the family gave me. I helped them out on something, and I was doing it for free, but now they insist that I take it since they have no use for it. I'm not sure how he can't use anything at BB, but this guy is loaded anyway. So after refusing to take it, it arrived in the mail recently and I've decided to accept it and treat myself to something.

I have a 4+ year old HP that does everything I need just fine including any game I have ever bought off of steam and a few MMOs when I used to play those. Not at the highest settings, but decent enough and I'm not a graphics snob. This upgrade will let me pass the HP to the kid(s).

I decided to get the 2nd computer I linked too. I'll report back in about a week.