Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-30-2015, 12:26 PM   #151
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Wow. The Best job open in the Country and they stick with the Interim.

I think its a good move for USC from what Ive seen, and expect that will get the dominoes rolling with other jobs soon.

Why? Do you think Helton can be a great coach from your perspective?

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-30-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:28 PM   #152
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
It doesn't seem like Schiano is going to be the guy at Rutgers again but I would have been okay with it. While I doubt he's improved much on his shortcomings which would have limited his ceiling, at least the program would have an identity again and he would recruit as well as can be expected against the big names in the division.

I think Cristobal ends up as the choice if he doesn't get the Miami job, which seems to be how its trending. I know he stunk at FIU for the majority of his time there but that was a tough program to win at, he recruits well, and hopefully he's learned something under Saban.

Rhule will likely take a bigger job, Fleck isn't quite ready to handle the division we're in, and I'd take the potential of Cristobal over Golden at this point.

Babers is the guy I like the most and I guess going to UCF makes sense if he's positioning himself for a jump to one of the Florida or SEC schools within a few years. Smart for him to move now with his stud QB graduating.
Not really excited about any of those guys. Babers seems okay, but ugh just not floored.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #153
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Not really excited about any of those guys. Babers seems okay, but ugh just not floored.

We're not in the position to get a "floored by" guy with the status of the administration and the financial constraints in place for another 5 years. Let's not let perfect be the enemy of the good. All these options are tremendously more qualified than Flood was.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #154
miked
College Starter

I'll bet Rettig is thrilled.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #155
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just got a text from a GA High School head coach who has put about a dozen players in D1 in the last 5 years or so I thought some here might find interesting...

I would hope -- although given some of the HS coaches I've come across I won't guarantee it -- that a lot of them also realize the guy can't coach to a national championship level. Being a great guy is NOT the job.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #156
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I would hope -- although given some of the HS coaches I've come across I won't guarantee it -- that a lot of them also realize the guy can't coach to a national championship level. Being a great guy is NOT the job.

I don't think it's THAThe is gone, I think it is HOW it went down.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #157
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Why? Do you think Helton can be a great coach from your perspective?

I don't know enough to have a strong feeling, but the team seems to have responded and he seems like a very strong x&o guy. Which to me is a must at USC. You don't need a great recruiter at USC, the school does that itself. They don't need flash, they've tried that now twice.

Helton seems to love USC , the players seem to respond to him, and he seems like a substance hire.

He might never get to Pete Caroll level but I think his floor is stabilizing the program for ~5 years and averaging 8-9 wins a year.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #158
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

The TCU game was the wettest and coldest I've been since the 2004 NAIA playoff game in Sioux Falls. ~~~~~~~
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:58 PM   #159
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't know enough to have a strong feeling, but the team seems to have responded and he seems like a very strong x&o guy. Which to me is a must at USC. You don't need a great recruiter at USC, the school does that itself. They don't need flash, they've tried that now twice.

Helton seems to love USC , the players seem to respond to him, and he seems like a substance hire.

He might never get to Pete Caroll level but I think his floor is stabilizing the program for ~5 years and averaging 8-9 wins a year.

I don't disagree. I'm disappointed that we didn't get any of the rumored big names. But the more I digest this, the better I feel about it. I agree with you that his floor is high and he might surprise with his ceiling. He seems to have some great leadership qualities and will hopefully hire talented coordinators.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:14 PM   #160
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He won't be coaching there for 5 years if he is averaging 8-9 wins per year.

I'll say this for the rival school: Helton is probably the best human being USC has hired as their HC since John Robinson. Admittedly, the past few didn't set the bar high.

I'll be rooting for Helton to do well. Like, 2nd in the Pac 12 South every year.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #161
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Question for the committee: Does Clemson deserve to make playoff even if it loses? - Yahoo Sports
Old 12-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #162
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I can't imagine Clemson not getting in unless they are blown out ala Wisconsin.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #163
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I guess it would depend on how they lose and what other teams do, in the top six or seven.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #164
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's why I think we're down to five teams at this point.

Clemson, Oklahoma and B1G winner are locks with Alabama probably in no matter what as well, but if they lose they might be replaced by Stanford. I don't see any scenario where the SEC is shut out and the Big Ten gets two bids.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #165
Logan
Head Coach

Started a coach hiring thread:

2015 College Football Coach Hiring Thread - Front Office Football Central
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #166
bob
College Starter

I think I've finally put my finger on what I dislike about the college football system these days. Non-conference scheduling is done way too far in advance.

Since I've heard a lot about UNC's schedule lately in regards to what happens if they beat Clemson, let's take them for example. It isn't like they knew several years ago that their in conference foes would be bad and they could go sign up some decent non-conference games to bolster the schedule - they schedules were set years ago. How were they supposed to know that GT would be horrible, etc, when they set those schedules? They may not be the best example due to the two 1-AA teams on their schedule, but I haven't look into it enough to see if that was due to issues finding suitable 1-A opponents.

The only solution is to schedule big name teams and pray they are actually good. The schedule fluctuations are just too big over time.

I just wonder if this all eventually results in a 32 team league.

Edit: Yes, I know that this has always been an issue. Just seems bigger when picking four teams instead of 2 (or just 1 at the end of the season).

Last edited by bob : 12-01-2015 at 10:55 AM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #167
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I think I've finally put my finger on what I dislike about the college football system these days. Non-conference scheduling is done way too far in advance.

Since I've heard a lot about UNC's schedule lately in regards to what happens if they beat Clemson, let's take them for example. It isn't like they knew several years ago that their in conference foes would be bad and they could go sign up some decent non-conference games to bolster the schedule - they schedules were set years ago. How were they supposed to know that GT would be horrible, etc, when they set those schedules? They may not be the best example due to the two 1-AA teams on their schedule, but I haven't look into it enough to see if that was due to issues finding suitable 1-A opponents.

The only solution is to schedule big name teams and pray they are actually good. The schedule fluctuations are just too big over time.

I just wonder if this all eventually results in a 32 team league.

I heard on the radio the other day that UNC had 2 teams pull out on them at the last minute and the only teams they could schedule were those 1-AA teams.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #168
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I can't imagine Clemson not getting in unless they are blown out ala Wisconsin.

Or lose Watson to obvious season ending injury early, look like crap and lose by 3 TD's.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #169
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I heard on the radio the other day that UNC had 2 teams pull out on them at the last minute and the only teams they could schedule were those 1-AA teams.

Ohio State, Tennessee and Minnesota all cancelled according the AD

North Carolina AD Bubba Cunningham talks about the Tar Heels' schedule - ACC Blog- ESPN

And in case anyone doubts that tOSU wanted out of a game, here's last year's article explaining that (all the screwy moving around conferences did was going to leave them with only 6 home games in 2017 so they needed to make adjustments)

Ohio State drops football series with North Carolina in 2017 and 2018, replacement should be named soon | cleveland.com
Old 12-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #170
digamma
Torchbearer

I forgot about the ACC 8/9 game shenanigans. That screwed pretty much everyone in the conference over in the summer of 2014 for the 2015 and 2016 schedules. Of course the Tar Heel in Chief, Baby Girl Swofford is to blame for that.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #171
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah Clemson lost Home and Homes with Ole Miss and Vandy over that crap.
The Ole Miss game would have been this year and was replaced by App St.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:13 PM   #172
dave731
High School JV

Quote:
Yeah Clemson lost Home and Homes with Ole Miss and Vandy over that crap.
The Ole Miss game would have been this year and was replaced by App St.
That Ole Miss game with Kelly would have been must see TV...
dave731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #173
tarcone
Coordinator

Did Cartman forget to post a championship week thread or did I miss it?
I'm really wanting to post in that one.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote