Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2015, 12:02 AM   #1
Schmidty
Coordinator

I hate FM15. I love FM15.

First of all, I will admit that the title for this is a bit....grabby. Yes, I made that word up.

I love the game, but I hate that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I suck. I started really wanting to take over Blackpool, but instead I started unemployed and ended up with Derby.

I'm 1.5 years into it and am not fired, but I am doing badly. I think that if I lose one more game, I shall will be canned. I almost want it and I don't like that. I want to dominate every game like this that I have ever played and I can't.

Anyway, what should I start with as far as tactics? I just want to be able to compete. I created a new game as the boss of the Sounders, with the hope to move to the EPL.

Help?

Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #2
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I created a new game as the boss of the Sounders, with the hope to move to the EPL.

For a newbie, which it sounds like you are, that is a very tough thing to do. VERY. You are better off playing in the lower level English leagues and slogging through a successful decade to make that dream happen.

google "guide to football manager" that should really help.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #3
Grover
Pro Starter

Start in the lower leagues. Try and find free transfers that fit your budget with high physical stats. At the lower levels speed KILLS. Get fast wingers and forwards and play direct, attacking football.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'm right there with you. No idea what I'm doing and I really want to love this game.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #5
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'm a big fan of making up words when you are using the rules for English to do so. Communication still happens. The other day I told a student who was taking pictures in the office for a website that he was a really good Camera-teer, and they all laughed. So Grabby's fine by me!

EDIT:

Oh, and one of the best ways to get hits online or in print, for an incredibly long time, is to use a "Grabby" headline. For example, I once penned a MTG article called "Ending Homophobia in Magic." It wasn't really about that. It was about people stop using gay slurs at Magic events. Not about ending systematic issues, just the language. But it brought in the people.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 06-12-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Wow, the word has already made it into the dictionary. That was fast!

Grabby | Definition of grabby by Merriam-Webster

I'll echo the other comments. To get a feel for the game, pick out a lower division team, and read up on some of the starter guides that are out there. You can get a better feel and quicker response to changes with a lower level team. The game is incredibly deep, and does take some time to get your head wrapped around all it has to offer.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #7
The Jackal
Coordinator

What kind of tactics are you trying? I've played a ton of FM but I still feel like a lot of the time I'm guessing at what individual/team direcs are going to work best for me. Have found a few formations that I like, though as I play with Arsenal a lot I'm somewhat required to play a specific type of football.

Probably my favorite dynasty was getting Wolves from the Championship to the Prem and I played a 4-2-3-1 with two DM, counter-attacking.

You want to make sure you are playing people in their natural positions and taking advantage of what they do best as often as possible. Spending time at the beginning of the season to setup your tactics in depth is important. And as Grover said, if you are in lower leagues, get some pacy wingers and they will kill it.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #8
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I feel for ya. Still playing 14 but in any version I feel like I am just taking wild stabs at tactics. I have done a good job at the lower leagues using the route of going with speed and physical traits. Once I get to the mid level leagues it all seems to go to hell. I can never seem to sign players for that level and end up doing a yoyo pattern of promotion and relegation.

Current career I started unemployed. Signed to Wrexham after they fired their manager part way through the season. Took them on the best run that I have ever had in any FM version and darned promotion. Now I can't win if my life depended on it. We may clinch relegation with a month and a half to go. I may need a new job soon. I had no luck signing players that were projected for that league, basically the same group from the previous year and those tactics aren't working.

Oh well, still enjoying it.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
Grover
Pro Starter

I'm gonna post a screen of my Leicester tactics here when I get home tonight.

With it I took a relegation threatened club over on Nov 6 and qualified them for the Champions League.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #10
Schmidty
Coordinator

Thanks for all of the advice. I am definitely needing it.

I must admit that I'm a bit of a know-it-all especially when it comes to games like this, so feeling totally exposed and clueless is scary, but fun.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #11
Thomkal
Head Coach

Schmidty,

I was saying similar things about this game way back when. Its why I still do not play it today. I suggested back then it desperately needed a tutorial. One that would take you through the first season-stoping at key days to let you know when certain events are starting (and what you could/should do on them) while also teaching you the basics of how to play "football". I'm guessing there still isn't one? That's a shame.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #12
Grover
Pro Starter

Schmidty,

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - The Impossible Dream (FM15)

Old 06-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #13
Schmidty
Coordinator

Thanks Grover.

I think that one of the things that bothers me the most are the sub-names at positions. For example, what the F is Trequartista? It's like learning a new language.

Last edited by Schmidty : 06-12-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:09 PM   #14
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Thanks Grover.

I think that one of the things that bothers me the most are the sub-names at positions. For example, what the F is Trequartista? It's like learning a new language.

Well, that is Italian.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #15
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks Grover.

The biggest other piece of advice I'd give: play players in their best positions. I know it sounds ridiculous to say that, but it's very true.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #16
Schmidty
Coordinator

This is the most popular game in the world?

I don't like that it feels like work to even play the game.

I'm not giving up though.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
This is the most popular game in the world?

I don't like that it feels like work to even play the game.

I'm not giving up though.

Most popular text sim anyway. And yeah...it does feel too much like work and sims too slowly. But once you get immersed, it's pretty much hard to shut off.

First year I didn't buy the game, precisely because my play every year has decreased because it's too much work to build custom leagues and then have to start over when they release a new version.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-12-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #18
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Schmidty: You might find this interesting, describes what the various roles at the various positions.

Roles & Duties | Football Manager 2015 Guide
Old 06-13-2015, 01:34 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I kinda felt like the o.p. was the most common FM experience of all frankly.

I've played on & off for years. Rarely been worth a damn, never played in a highest league, I think only saw the 2nd highest league once ... and may have gotten fired by mid-season in that one.

It's not quite as bad as how I suck at XCom, but it's in the neighborhood. Getting beat down & frustrated largely feels like a "feature" rather than anything else at this point.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:27 AM   #20
Schmidty
Coordinator

Would I be taking on too much if I started with a Scottish Premiership team such as Motherwell?
Old 06-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #21
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I learned by cheating - I took over Rangers and gave them a sugar daddy owner. This allowed me to dominate for a few seasons while learning how the gameworks without the depression of getting crushed into powder for years.

After I got the hand of the basics, I got rid of the sugar daddy and learned the difficulties of money management. It was a pain - I couldn't just sign any player I wanted and I would lose my best players to the big boys in the EPL and Europe.

Then I figured I was ready for the big time. I took over Hibs and slogged through season after season, slowly improving my team by hpoing to get just one, maybe two good players each season to fill holes. It took me a while, but after many many years, I won the SPL and qualified for contenental competition.

My most favoritest effort was taking over Peterhead in the lowest Scottish Division and working my way up to winning the SPL after 40+ years of toiling, threatening to leave if a new stadium wasn't built, and lots and lots of luck finding just the right kid who turns into a superstar. I made it as far as the knockout round in the Champions League just once - pretty good for the Blue Toon.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #22
Schmidty
Coordinator

I ended up getting hired by Cheltenham. I have a whopping $0 budget for transfers. Now I just need to figure out my tactics. I want to play a possession style. We'll see how it goes.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #23
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Here's a hint I'm putting in spoiler because it seems reflective of game engine issues

Spoiler
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:13 PM   #24
AgustusM
College Prospect

I know nothing about soccer, but I love FM it is just a totally immersive game.

also has the advantage that because I don't know anything, it is all "right" essentially FM = soccer to me.

when playing football, basketball, baseball games I always reach a point where I have a moment of dissonance because something isn't accurately reflected in the game. But again my soccer ignorance is bliss because I never have those moments.

Also I read this book twice and it really helped me better understand soccer as a whole and FM and the tactics quite a bit better.

Inverting The Pyramid: The History of Soccer Tactics: Jonathan Wilson: 9781568587387: Amazon.com: Books
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #25
Shepp
High School Varsity

I think a large reason why folks have such a hard time getting their bearings with FM is because SI does such a crappy job of documenting exactly what tactical commands do. SI has always been content to let people figure it out for themselves based on what they would expect from real soccer. This was fine back when the game a was a lot less complex. That if you pulled back the curtain to far seeing the inner workings of the game might spoil the experience. However, FM has gotten so big and complex they really can't get away with this any more.

The fan made strategy guides are fine but they are still based on the observations of players and may not get what's going completely right. Not to mention that in the last couple years some of the better ones have gone the route of charging money for their stuff.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote