Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-16-2014, 10:09 AM   #201
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This week I am in my fantasy football championship game and I have Cutler as my QB. Flacco is the back-up.

So, do I start Cutler based on the theory that if he some how manages to put together a good game against the Lions at least some good would come out of that?

Or, do I sit him in hopes of a total implosion and bank on Flacco doing something in Houston?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #202
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
In general, I think that teams fire coaches/managers too quickly. But watching last night, I can't see how you don't fire Trestman. It isn't just that the Saints beat them. It's that the Bears's players are clearly all working on offseason vacation plans at this point. Near the end, Cutler looked almost annoyed to have to go out there and keep playing.

The fans deserve better than that.

Cutler's facial expressions have got him into more trouble over the years than almost anything. THAT is undeserved. His decision making, however, remains as bad as ever. And we're stuck with him.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #203
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bears have to bring in a QB for competition. Even if it's just trading a 6th for McCown or signing him outright. Treat Jay like a sunk cost. Hell, Matt Schaub might have another year or two in the tank. Whatever you do, you gotta put Jay on notice.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #204
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Cutler's facial expressions have got him into more trouble over the years than almost anything. THAT is undeserved. His decision making, however, remains as bad as ever. And we're stuck with him.

that and not vaccinating his children like a dumbass

If his kid starts a whooping cough outbreak should Chicago trade him?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #205
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Stupid question: Did I see last week that Dallas doesn't have the tie breaker over Seattle? Am I remembering wrong? Dallas beat them and I thought head-to-head was the first step in the tie-breaker.
In a two-way tie for the wild cards or seeding between division winners, Dallas has the head-to-head win to break the tie over Seattle.

In a three-way tie involving Green Bay and Seattle, Seattle will be ahead of Dallas & Green Bay on conference record, then if Dallas lost to Indianapolis it will be Dallas ahead of Green Bay on common games, otherwise it's Green Bay over Dallas on conference record.

In a three-way tie involving Detroit and Seattle, Seattle will be ahead of Detroit & Dallas on conference record (over Dallas) and common games (over Detroit), then Detroit has the conference record over Dallas.

In a three-way tie involving Arizona and Detroit, Arizona will be ahead on head-to-head wins, then Detroit has the conference record over Dallas.

In a three-way tie involving Arizona and Green Bay, it depends on whether Dallas beat Indianapolis. If Dallas beat (or tied) Indianapolis, Arizona and Green Bay will both be ahead of Dallas on conference record, with Green Bay ahead of Arizona on common games if Green Bay beat Detroit, or Arizona over Green Bay on Strength of Victory if Green Bay didn't beat Detroit. If Dallas lost to Indianapolis and ends up tied with Arizona and Green Bay at 11-5 each, it will come down to strength of victory (SOV). Green Bay can get it if they beat Detroit, otherwise Arizona will take it, while Dallas can never get that tie-breaker. If Green Bay beats Arizona on SOV, Arizona will then beat Dallas on common games. If Arizona beats Green Bay, Dallas will then beat Green Bay on common games.
(Interestingly, the common games tie-breaker is a rock-paper-scissors situation between these three teams, exception being when Detroit beats Green Bay.)

For those wondering about the Philadelphia situations: Philadelphia loses every possible two- or three-way tie based on head-to-head record, or if it involves Detroit on conference record. (Yes, Philadelphia does beat Dallas on division record, but that only matters for divisional order, it has no meaning towards tie-breakers in the seeding of division winners or for the wild card ordering.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 12-16-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: had to add to the ARZ-GB-DAL stuff
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #206
MIJB#19
Coordinator

The AFC could get really messy if somehow Buffalo, Miami, Baltimore, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Houston, Kansas City and San Diego all end up at 9-7. (For this to happen it requires KC to beat PIT in wk16, SD to beat KC in wk17, HOU to beat BAL in wk16 and CLE to beat BAL in wk17).

If that situation arises:
Miami will be ahead of Buffalo in the AFC East
Pittsburgh will be ahead of Cleveland and Baltimore in that order in the AFC North
Houston will be second in the AFC South (duh)
San Diego will be ahead of Kansas City in the AFC West (SD needs to beat KC in week 17)

Then Houston gets wild card #1 on conference record
And San Diego gets wild card #2 based on results in common games (vs BAL, JAC, NYJ and KC) compared to Miami and Pittsburgh.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #207
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Someone remind me. Cutler is already signed to a long term contract right? I mean, he was just resigned?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #208
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Someone remind me. Cutler is already signed to a long term contract right? I mean, he was just resigned?

Yep. With $54 million guaranteed over the first three years.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #209
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Yep. With $54 million guaranteed over the first three years.

Well done, Bears.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #210
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's why the Bears are consistently a world-class football operation.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #211
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

Eh, I am not sure how undeserved it is. Cam Newton and Eli Manning even Peyton Manning earlier in his career got the same criticism.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #212
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Trestman may be done...

Report: Bears likely to fire Trestman | ProFootballTalk
Old 12-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #213
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

He's done. Word out of the bears organization is Trestman will be fired and they're likely committed to Cutler through 2016 because he's too expensive to release.

Who gets hired next will show how much power Emery still has. If the McKaskeys get their way you're going to see a retread; someone like Shannahan or Rex Ryan. Shannahan is probably the preferred guy but if it isn't him it's going to be a defensive minded coach.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:44 PM   #214
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
He's done. Word out of the bears organization is Trestman will be fired and they're likely committed to Cutler through 2016 because he's too expensive to release.

Who gets hired next will show how much power Emery still has. If the McKaskeys get their way you're going to see a retread; someone like Shannahan or Rex Ryan. Shannahan is probably the preferred guy but if it isn't him it's going to be a defensive minded coach.

If they could pair Rex Ryan with an offensive coordinator that can get through to Cutler, they may have something.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #215
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The Bears have never hired a coach with NFL head coaching experience unless you count George Halas' multiple stints. And if Emery doesn't go too, what's the point? He was a main player in this fiasco.

Wait. Where are all of the "Trestman for the HoF" fans from last year?

Last edited by weegeebored : 12-16-2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: making a point
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:54 PM   #216
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
If they could pair Rex Ryan with an offensive coordinator that can get through to Cutler, they may have something.
Nobody will get through to Cutler. What you see is what you get; someone should have told that to Phil Emery. Cutler has nine NFL years of bad mechanics and even worse decision-making. He got his big money. He will play out his contract, take the $54 mil, and after that, retire or get a cushy backup role for a few more million.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #217
kingfc22
Head Coach

Niners finally release Ray McDonald after the newest allegations today...

Convenient now that they are eliminated do they actually make a move. This front office is a joke right now.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #218
Travis
Pro Rookie

Crazy stats that I'm plucking from a Seahawks message board (so not my own research, but seems to correlate to a lot of other stats I've heard about him) that resulted from a discussion about how well the Seahawks do with half time adjustments.

Since Wilson has been the starting QB for the Seahawks (including playoffs, through last week's game vs SF).

Tied or leading at half in 33 of 51 games, 28-5 in those games.

Trailed in 18 of 51 games, 10-8 in those games.

Since Wilson took over, the team has led at some point in every game. Digging deeper, they've had the lead at some point in the 4Q in 47 of those 51 games (2 road games in 2012 and 2 road games this year make up the 4 games where they haven't had a 4Q lead at some point).

Only 1 loss in his career by more than a touchdown, a 9 point loss in SD earlier this season.

For comparison's sake, every other team in the NFL has lost by 10 or more at least once this season.

I really hope he can stay healthy for a very long time. I know that those stats aren't all just about Wilson, but when needed, he is much more than a game manager.

Last edited by Travis : 12-17-2014 at 02:49 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #219
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

Convenient now that they are eliminated do they actually make a move. This front office is a joke right now.

I'm sure Sun Tzu will be along shortly to tell us how this demonstrates that the 49ers are the best organization in the NFL.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #220
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

Now that is not fair. The front office just lost some of the respect for the principle of innocent until proven guilty that they had at the beginning of the season.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #221
SnowMan
High School Varsity

I'm sure York/Baalke will find a way to blame Harbaugh as well.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #222
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
This week I am in my fantasy football championship game and I have Cutler as my QB. Flacco is the back-up.

So, do I start Cutler based on the theory that if he some how manages to put together a good game against the Lions at least some good would come out of that?

Or, do I sit him in hopes of a total implosion and bank on Flacco doing something in Houston?

I think that has been decided now.

....hahahahahaha

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story...ay-cutler-week

Last edited by bronconick : 12-17-2014 at 07:19 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote