Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Foz's life sucks (with a semi-Christmas Miracle at end)

so earlier this month I went walking in boston and developed massive knee pain. Ive had knee and leg issues in the past but this was a completely new level of immobility andand some of you know I've been dealing with knee and leg issues in the past but this was a completely new level of immobility and pain so...

Went to the doctor few weeks ago and they diagnosed me with osteoarthritis in the knee and hip mostly in the hip..

So they started me on physical therapy last week and it looked good except Friday after what was a low impact workout in the pool the leg flared up very painfully.. we're talking about complete hip immobility and unable to sleep level pain.

Advil and acetaminophen are not cutting it this time which is a royal pain in the ass... I'm trying to figure out what else it could be including the arthritis because the level of the exercise I was doing in the pool Friday should not be causing three and a half days worth of completely agonizing pain.

So I'm looking for assistance on what it could be and how to treat it I am waiting for a doctors appointment which of course never happens as quickly as you want it.

Sorry to dump this on all of you but a there is nobody around otherwise to dump this on and I can't sit comfortably... Which is why I am dictating this through my phone because typing all this up would give me great frustration.

Anyway waiting for the pain pills to kick in and hope you guys have suggestions thanks

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-01-2014 at 12:47 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

No advice here. Just wanted to say I'm sorry for your pain, Foz.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm going in for surgery next week, with a big reason due to osteoarthritis in the knee. Doc said I wore out my tread warranty a long time ago.

PT did help a lot, but it didn't really get me back to an acceptable activity level. Most all of the pain went away, but it sometimes came back when climbing stairs, or stepping wrong. I still couldn't jog or ride my bike without pain. That's when I was referred to the sports doc and got the surgery scheduled.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Ick, sorry for your pain. I'm wondering if the pain could be from a pinched nerve/muscle?

I've got horrible joints (and pinched nerves and muscle spasms as a result) due to mutant collagen (what a lame superpower) and pretty much the only thing that has any effect for me is turmeric. Yes, the cooking spice...curcuma/curcumin is the active ingredient, and you'll find resources using all of those names interchangably, which can be confusing.

It's become a fairly popular anti-inflammatory recently, folks recommend it for arthritis, and there seems to be a bunch of positive scientific/medical research starting to come out, as well as lots of less reliable folk/alternative medicine proponents. Unfortunately I can't give much specific advice on brands or dosage or delivery, as that all seems to vary greatly dependant on the person and method of use. Like lots of supposed cure-alls there's almost too much information on google, but I suppose that's still where I'd start. If you're at your wit's end, and OTC painkillers aren't helping you might as well give it a look.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 12-01-2014 at 01:45 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sucks, just purely sucks. Wish I had some useful input beyond sympathy
Even a pinched nerve level of hip pain that plagued me for over a year gives me a genuine sympathy for what, literally, a pain in the ass hip pain is. Maddening stuff.

If it's alright, I'm gonna throw a question about the tumeric usage in here for thesloppy though. What's the typical time for seeing some benefit on that? (I could Google but you mentioned it was kind of a mess of info out there, I figure I'll take advantage of the sifting of all the clutter you've already done)
Old 12-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #6
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

If it's alright, I'm gonna throw a question about the tumeric usage in here for thesloppy though. What's the typical time for seeing some benefit on that? (I could Google but you mentioned it was kind of a mess of info out there, I figure I'll take advantage of the sifting of all the clutter you've already done)

It's hard for me to say, because my nerves have been so overloaded for so long that I can't really judge my pain level effectively, so I kind of go by indirect indicators and hindsight, if that makes any sense. I've come to use the amount of sleep as the biggest indicator of my pain level, and after a couple of days of taking turmeric regularly I've been able to get 4-5 hours of sleep regularly, rather than 1-3 hours that I'd become used to. I've been taking it regularly for over 6 months, and my sleep will still vary based on other factors/stresses, but remains noticeably better than without.

For whatever it's worth, here's the specific stuff I use (I take 2 250mg caps, 3 times a day):

http://amzn.com/B004I981VE
Old 12-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just an update.. I managed to get into a chair for about 20-30 minutes so.. this post.

I'm on Short Term Disability because of the leg/hip issues (can't sit, can't drive, can't work).

Talked to the Physical Therapist today.. basically, no more PT till we get the pain issue managed. The low-impact pool workout should NOT cause this much issue.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Ick, sorry for your pain. I'm wondering if the pain could be from a pinched nerve/muscle?

I've got horrible joints (and pinched nerves and muscle spasms as a result) due to mutant collagen (what a lame superpower) and pretty much the only thing that has any effect for me is turmeric. Yes, the cooking spice...curcuma/curcumin is the active ingredient, and you'll find resources using all of those names interchangably, which can be confusing.

It's become a fairly popular anti-inflammatory recently, folks recommend it for arthritis, and there seems to be a bunch of positive scientific/medical research starting to come out, as well as lots of less reliable folk/alternative medicine proponents. Unfortunately I can't give much specific advice on brands or dosage or delivery, as that all seems to vary greatly dependant on the person and method of use. Like lots of supposed cure-alls there's almost too much information on google, but I suppose that's still where I'd start. If you're at your wit's end, and OTC painkillers aren't helping you might as well give it a look.

Are you a mutant the same way I am?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #9
FBPro
College Starter

Sorry for your pain, I can relate to a degree as I have random hand pain related to arthritis.......Thank God for Naproxen 500 mg.....
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

SF, I have no idea what it could be. Do you have a history of gout by chance? Is there a chance that could be involved? Have you seen a rheumatologist (or however it's spelled)?

With regards to pain, it sucks, I'm sympathetic. I've never tried turmeric. Have you tried/can you tolerate Naproxen? If your pain seems to be nerve-related, you might ask if you can try gabapentin or Lyrica or some of those other drugs. They won't work overnight but they can help (I'm on gabapentin and one other drug long-term, can't remember the name).

/tk

Last edited by terpkristin : 12-01-2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: changed the medication I'm on. I can't function on Lyrica, must have brainfarted while typing...I'm on gabapentin)
Old 12-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

No advice. Sorry to hear you are going through so much pain. I hope you feel better soon.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #12
TroyF
Coordinator

I can only sympathize. Obviously, my hip pain was different than yours, but I do understand what it's like to have pain in that area. I know about the sleep schedule and everything else. I hope they can diagnose the problem and fix it. There is no easy way to deal with any of it.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #13
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Naproxen is no go. No history of gout.. The full list is cellulitis in the lower legs.. Mostly left.. Osteoarthritis in both knees and hips.. Some spurring in the right hip which is the one giving me trouble.

I've seen a rheumatologist a couple years ago to test for a condition called anklosing spondylitis.. I don't have the gene that is a common indicator... But it really matches up.

I did manage to call the disability company and get my claim extended.. And thank god my dad came by to play with the dog and to wear her out because I was on the phone with the secretary at the disability company the dog jumped up looking for attention and landed like that on the bad leg.

Yes I screamed.

It sucks to be in a house by myself.. (my brother who owns the house is on a business trip)...all I see is my room... The bathroom and VERY occasionally.. The kitchen

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-02-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #14
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

While it doesn't help immediately, I'd still suggest seeing a rheum while your symptoms seem to be uber flared. While this could be a new thing, some longer term things can have sudden flare ups. Did you get any scan (go to the ER) when the uber problems happened/started? Or just make a doc appointment...?

Good luck either way...
/tk
Old 12-01-2014, 10:33 PM   #15
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I went to the ER.. New Blood pressure medicine, hada negative reaction to it so I got dizzy and was falling into walls the leg was already hurting then so they get I had hip x-ray and chest x-ray ,the hip x-ray showed the increasing osteoarthritis In the hip

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-01-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #16
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I'd see a Rheumatologist as soon as you can. My Mom deals with psoriatic arthritis that is real bad. She's spent time in hospitals during the worst flare ups.

They've gotten her on stronger drugs like Humira and Methotrexate. Considering your circumstance, it might be time to go that route.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Update:

*sighs*

So, Physical Therapy is out, at least for a couple weeks, they're going to schedule a cortisone shot for the hip, see if that helps, and schedule a MRI to look at structural issues if it doesn't.

Now, on the other side, I have to schedule a colonoscopy because of possible blood in the stool issues (possibly from the NSAID's I've been taking for the hip/pain).

I hate my life.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #18
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Gotdamn, sorry Foz. You're really being put through the wringer.

To go along with my other wacky recommendation, I just remembered that I have a couple friends with arthritis who swear by MSM and DMSO, both of which are related and often hyped as miracle-cures for arthritis pain. I've used both, and neither did anything for me, but although I suffer from the similar symptoms my root problems are actually the opposite of arthritis (hypermobile, wobbly joints, rather than stiff, immobile ones).

MSM is more readily available, whereas DMSO is technically an industrial solvent requiring careful handling, approved for use on horses but not on humans (which only seems to excite some of the fringe folks even further). Both are very fast-acting and can be used in creams which can be applied directly to the problem area. As with turmeric there is an almost overwhelming amount of info/hype to sift through on the internet, but there's a ton of arthritic folks who swear by one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Are you a mutant the same way I am?

I dunno, TK. What's your specific damage? I've got Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #19
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I dunno, TK. What's your specific damage? I've got Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.

Me too! I was diagnosed with the classical (1/2) type, though I have some of the skin issues more commonly seen with the vascular type and a lot of commonality with the hypermobility type, too. Vascular type was ruled out via the skin test. Yay EDS buddy!

True story: at my last surgery, my mom was trying to ask my (male) doctor if he was going to do anything to account for the EDS, as (before the surgery) it was thought that the EDS was a contributing factor to why my spine fusion failed. But instead of saying "Ehlers Danlos" or "EDS," she said "ED," which is one disorder/disease I absolutely cannot get. My surgeon was confused, I must have turned beet red with mortification and when I cleared up the confusion, my mom definitely turned beet red.

/tk
Old 12-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #20
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, ended up in the Hospital again this morning, with a new and exciting health issue, diverticulitis.. hope we caught it early, so it's just home, antibiotics (couple horse pills :P) and rest.

I keep looking out the window, and hoping to not see a Glue Factory truck.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #21
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Well, ended up in the Hospital again this morning, with a new and exciting health issue, diverticulitis..

Just like Brock Lesnar! Hang in there, you'll be beating up Shane Carwin in no time.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #22
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Just like Brock Lesnar! Hang in there, you'll be beating up Shane Carwin in no time.

To be fair, I think I beat Carwin up when we reached for the same pack of gum in an AM-PM the other day. Bleeper wouldn't let go.

(get better soon, Foz)

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #23
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

thanks. The antibiotics definitely do help, I think the diverticulitis was exacerbating some of my issues with sitting pain.. feel more "active" already. Just gotta take it one day at a time
Old 12-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #24
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Back in the er again.. had a dry heave with what appeared to be blood in it. I give up. I obviously am never going to be "better"
Old 12-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to hear Foz.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:11 AM   #26
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So, it was a flare up of the diverticulitis, and I need to see a gastro-neurologist soon. Joyous.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #27
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So.. this happened this morning so far:

"Hi David.. we made an appointment for you tommorrow at 3:30"
"That's great, unfortunately, that's the one day I can not get a ride up... do you have something friday or monday or tuesday?"
"No, but we do have something... at the end of january."

Now folks, this is a condition that's ended with me in the ER two out of three nights. How do you think you'd react to being told that? I managed to not bite her head off, but I made it clear that it

"I'm sorry that's not acceptable."
"Well, that's because she only works a day and a half for us"
"Well, find another doctor please."

They call back thirty minutes later.

"We have something on 12/29..."
"You want me to wait three weeks for something that's put me in the ER twice? Just... just go away. I can't deal with this."

David posts angry Facebook rant..

then comes the Christmas Miracle.

A friend of mine, who I haven't seen in... probably four-five years pings me on Facebook "When is your appointment, and where? I can give you a ride".

As it turns out, he CAN give me a ride... so I can keep the oriignal appointment.

So.. I'm vacilliating between being semi-ok, and "Fuck the World". it's a wild ride.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #28
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Stay strong, Sir!
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #29
BYU 14
Coordinator

Hang in there buddy and I am literally feeling your pain. I am in the middle of my second case of Diverticulitis and mine started coming on Sunday night. Went to the doctor Monday and got the standard RX combo of Cipro and Flagyl, 500 mg each.

Don't know if you got the same cocktail, but Flagyl has side effects that mirrors what you are going through now. Not a pleasant antibiotic at all, and fortunately I tolerate it fairly well, minus real bad cotton mouth and lethargy.

I let it go way too long the first time I had it in 2011 and ended up in the Hospital on IV's for 2 days, so glad you caught it early. 4 doses into my 14 dose treatment right now and some improvement, but the first couple of days are definitely unpleasant.

They talk a lot about diet as a prevention to this, but I eat 6-9 cups of veggies a day and 95% of my proteins come from egg whites, chicken, salmon and lean ground turkey. I literally eat read meat once or twice a month, which makes this flare up all the more irritating!

If this is your first they will likely order a colonoscopy after you cycle through the antibiotics to make sure there are no issues beyond infected Diverticuli.

Wishing you all the best!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #30
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I think it's Amox+Something and Flagyl
Old 12-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #31
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
I think it's Amox+Something and Flagyl

Yeah Flagyl is likely the culprit of the heaves. It will get you squared away, but may kick your ass a little on the way
Old 12-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #32
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

just got done taking it, it's Amox TR-K CLV and Metronidazole
Old 12-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #33
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully third time is the charm.. As the GI (gastrointestinal) doc consulted with my main doc and decided to have me admitted to Faulkner hospital here in Boston. They're also concerned about infections on my foot and hand.. They used the terms cellulitis (what..again?) or pseudo-gout.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #34
duckman
Pro Starter

I had cellulitis in my right leg from a staph infection about 12 years ago. It literally means inflammation of the cells. You might have been like me and have a long standing infection.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #35
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah... I've been hospitalized before for cellulitis in the leg
Old 12-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #36
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sucks, and I hope they can get it figured out

Also, I had a semi in depth conversion with a friend recently about rides. Like what are you supposed to do when you get older and can't get where you need to be? Obviously family size is way down which means that extended families are now smaller too. I guess it could be mitigated by having a large selection of friends but even friendship is evolving. I mean I guess the answer is to go to church? Anyways, glad someone pulled thru for you and I hope you get better in time for XMas.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:37 AM   #37
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Sucks, and I hope they can get it figured out

Also, I had a semi in depth conversion with a friend recently about rides. Like what are you supposed to do when you get older and can't get where you need to be? Obviously family size is way down which means that extended families are now smaller too. I guess it could be mitigated by having a large selection of friends but even friendship is evolving. I mean I guess the answer is to go to church? Anyways, glad someone pulled thru for you and I hope you get better in time for XMas.

Move near Pumpy?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:44 PM   #38
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So a quick update while I'm lying here in the hospital bed.

They are doing various tests including a rather scary one which involved a needle in my Toe I think I have a reactive arthritis condition to go with the diverticulitis and possibly something similar to what I had before.

Taken enough blood samples for me to feed Alegion of Draculas for a week and I'm tired as heck.... ButI'm doing okay.

I'll keep you guys updated thanks

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-12-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #39
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Ugh. Sounds miserable man. Hope you feel better. I'll be in Boston in July for foo fighters and drop kick murphys at Fenway. You better be up for a beer.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Hang tough Foz
Old 12-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #41
BYU 14
Coordinator

Hang in there buddy!
Old 12-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #42
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Trying. It sounds like I may be here till Monday or Tuesday as they work things through.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:25 AM   #43
Izulde
Head Coach

Hope things get better, Foz.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #44
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

You learn to appreciate small victories in the hospital when the antibiotics are kicing the you know what out of you

2 hours off the never to be sufficiently cursed IV stand.

Folks visiting for two hours

Ability to get up and use the facilities unaided.

Small things. .. but appreciated
Old 12-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #45
PilotMan
Head Coach

Hang in there Foz!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #46
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if any of you have had extended hospital stays... but there's a phase I call the wall where you're fed up with everythibg.

No more iv.

No more being woken up just when you fall asleep to check vitals.

No more petty BS being left in the dark.

Well I hit the wall.

I WANT OUT AND I WANT OUT NOW
Old 12-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #47
digamma
Torchbearer

Hang in there. Get this thing fixed.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #48
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Hang in there. Get this thing fixed.

Trying. It's damn hard. Some of it is I'm sleeping horribly.. with all the beeping and noise outside my room.. I can't get settled... I think I've slept like 90 minutes at a time, tops.

Nearly resulted in a breakdown this morning.

Didn't want blood work or iv or food/drink or really anything. Just to be left alone with as much peace and quiet as I could get.

I said to my dad.. I'm miserable here. At home I'd still be miserable. . But at least I'd have peace and quiet

But I'm holding up... if just