Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-27-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
Radii
Head Coach

Standing/Adjustable Desks

Does anyone use one either at work or at home? I'm doing some reading and seem to be leaning towards this one: Jarvis Stand Up Desk

I know that I want something with an electric motor, no crank or spring adjustment, this seems to be on the lower end of the price range but reviews seem positive and it seems sturdy. This one seems to go a little higher than many, which at 6'4" might matter, I need to measure to see what height ranges I realistically need. Functionally I want to be able to maintain my mouse precision in the games I play. I understand the desks with a single center base can get slightly wobbly at max height. I'm thinking the sturdier frame like the one I linked, and most other more expensive ones, make that a non issue.

Anyway, I'm curious about any reserach/purchases/experiences any of you have with an adjustable desk and if standing more often has made a difference that you can tell in your posture/energy level/fitness/general health.

Radii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
Autumn
Head Coach

I did some research into standing desks, and was looking at one that could pivot from seated to standing, as I think realistically there's a limit to the amount of time you can stand. I agree thatyou'll have to pay close attention to your height, and the sturdiness. I can't remember exactly which model I looked at.

I ended up going with a treadmill desk instead, and it's been a godsend. I have to say, I sometimes stand at it when I'm not quite ready to get walking or something, and I find that just standing feels as uncomfortable as sitting after a while. I can, and do, walk here for five or six hours every day, without much problem. But if I stand here for 20 minutes I find it really hard on my feet and back.

Hopefully someone has some more relevant response about the standing desks. I think anything to get out of your seat has to help some.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I used to have a standing desk at work with a high office chair(kind of a chair/stool hybrid). I could alternate between standing and sitting. I actually really loved it and given the choice I'd do it again.

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-27-2014 at 09:20 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I work from home on the computer all day, so I tried a standing desk for a few months. What I found was that being on my feet all day seemed to wear out my back and feet quite a bit. I had to make some serious adjustments to add a softer floor to stand on in addition to wearing very comfortable shoes (similar to what people in professions that are on their feet would wear obviously). I personally like to not wear shoes at home, but couldn't manage with this.

The eventual reason why I stopped the standing desk experiment was that I found it was adversely affecting my other actual physical activities. My core exercises and strength exercises were affected by having a sore back from standing all day, and my running felt like I had much less energy because of it. Once I went back to sitting, I found those workouts suddenly became better or more quality workouts instead.

So my end result was that I find it works better for me instead to schedule getting up and walking around or being active every hour for a bit of time during the day instead. I will for instance stand up and walk around a bit while on conference calls or whatnot. I know others love their standing desks though, it just did not seem to work well for me though.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

We've used sit-stand desks at work for several years now after a rash of ergo claims. They and other measures (chairs, keyboard/mice, etc) have cut claims over 90%.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
The Jackal
Coordinator

I have a motorized desk at work and love it. At a previous office I made a sort of box fort to have a full time standing desk but the option to sit is great.

With the FT standing desk I was definitely noticing some aches, but bought some "walking shoes" with cushioning and they helped a lot.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote