Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-21-2003, 06:52 PM   #1
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

"Your opponent is unwilling to trade draft picks without adding value..."

OK, I realize that at some point it was probably necessary to prevent trades that only involved picks, since the human player would always find a way to get an edge over the AI (then show up here bragging about it).

But is anyone else disappointed to still see this message in the game? It just seems unrealistic to be unable to trade up or down on draft day without throwing in a scrub player into every deal.

Or am I off base on this one?

Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 06:55 PM   #2
Samdari
Roster Filler

I would like that ability too.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:01 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

I've been able to trade just picks...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 07:02 PM   #4
digamma
Torchbearer

I traded down two picks for an additional second round pick without a problem.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 07:15 PM   #5
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

that message means you have to add something INCLuDING posible another pick. you can od trades with just picks.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 07:54 PM   #6
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Hmm. Well, maybe I just wasn't making good offers. I just find it very difficult to move up or down in the draft, and I get that message all the time. Maybe it could be rewritten?
Old 11-21-2003, 08:01 PM   #7
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Just gotta give up more. I've found to get a high first rounder, you usually gotta give up 2 first-rounders of your own..and maybe a 4th or 3rd too.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:15 PM   #8
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Re: "Your opponent is unwilling to trade draft picks without adding value..."

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
OK, I realize that at some point it was probably necessary to prevent trades that only involved picks, since the human player would always find a way to get an edge over the AI (then show up here bragging about it).

But is anyone else disappointed to still see this message in the game? It just seems unrealistic to be unable to trade up or down on draft day without throwing in a scrub player into every deal.

Or am I off base on this one?
In a word, yes. You can trade picks for picks, you just gotta give up enough. Check out this thread for a guy I traded up to get.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:46 PM   #9
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Yeah, in this case I wanted to move down a few spots, from 1.13 to 1.16. All I was asking was a sixth rounder, and I got the "Your opponent is unwilling..." message.

Now maybe there's some sort of AI at play here, where the team at 1.16 knows who they want and don't feel like they need to move up. That would be great... if they told you.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:25 PM   #10
Daimyo
College Starter

If its like real life they probaly recognize the only difference between the 13 and 16 is the extra cap space the 13th slot requires since the "must haves" are mostly gone.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:29 PM   #11
The Shadow
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
Yeah, in this case I wanted to move down a few spots, from 1.13 to 1.16. All I was asking was a sixth rounder, and I got the "Your opponent is unwilling..." message.

In FOF4, I found that moving down a few spots from about 1(10) or lower was not doable. You would have to move down about 10 spots for an extra 7th or 6th rounder. I think that's about realistic in the NFL and prevents human players from exploiting AI teams.

However, I also found that AI teams valued picks from 1(1) to 1(4) way too much. Once, I had the 1(1) pick and decided to trade down. This is what I was able to get in return.

1(1) for 1(2) and 1st from next year's draft.
1(2) for 1(3) and 1st from next year's draft.
1(3) for 1(7) and 3(7)

So in total, for the #1 pick, I received 1(7), 3(7), and two 1st rounders from next year's draft. I thought this was way too much and not realistic.