Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
Dutch
"Dutch"

Is there a FIFA Super America Cup or should there be?

So admittedly, I don't even really know the tournament schedule, probably should play FM more...but after watching this World Cup, I want more. In particular, 2 years from now I want more. And I don't mean some rinky-dink CONCANCAF tourney or PAN-AMERICAN tourney. I mean some good old fashioned knock-down-drag-out fights between the USA and Mexico and Brazil and Argentina.

I know there is a tournament for North American clubs and their is a tournament with South American clubs (where the US and Mexico are regularly invited)...but I would love a "Super America Cup" where all the teams of the Western Hemisphere compete to gain entry.

I want a 16-team "Super America Cup" with all the pomp and circumstance of the FIFA Euro Cup.

Anyway, I'm not sure how the Euro Cup does their tourney, but I would like a western hemisphere tournament similar to the World Cup.

Four 4-team groups that play round robin and then an "Elite Eight" single elimination the rest of the way.

South and Central American pre-tourney (invites 12 teams)

(btw - the below are just some of the better teams that would be able to compete for these spots...there are about 20 or so more out there that could compete)

South America
1. Argentina
2. Uruguay
3. Brazil
4. Paraguay
5. Chile
6. Peru
7. Columbia
8. Bolivia
9. Ecuador
10. Venezuela

Central America
1. Belize
2. Costa Rica
3. El Salvador
4. Guatemala
5. Honduras
6. Nicaragua
7. Panama

North America and Carribbean pre-tourney (invites 4 teams)

North America

1. United States
2. Mexico
3. Canada

Carribbean
1. Cuba
2. Dominican Republic
3. Haiti
4. Jamaica
5. Puerto Rico
6. Trinidad and Tobago

Then we make 4 groups and split the 4 North American and Carribbean teams up, one to each group.

Sounds like fun to me.

Last edited by Dutch : 07-01-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
Critch
lolzcat

There's going to be a tournament in 2016 similar to that to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the South American Copa America. And it's going to be held in the US too!

linkie - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Am...ica_Centenario

Last edited by Critch : 06-30-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: edited to avoid tri-dola
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
Critch
lolzcat

Dola:

Personally I'd like to see the North and South American confederations merge. Not because of internationals or World Cup qualifying but because I'd like to see MLS teams in the Copa Libertadores (the South American equivalent of the Champions League).

Other changes I'd make to improve World soccer:

1 Move Israel from Europe back to Asia. If their neighbors wont play them, it's a 3-0 win for Israel.
2. Oceania is gone, New Zealand into Asia, Australia have already made that move.
3. Reunification of Soviet Union/Yugoslavia. European football was better when there werent 40 billion ex-Soviet states, half of which arent even in Europe.

Comrade Putin appears to agree with me on point 3.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Dola:

Personally I'd like to see the North and South American confederations merge. Not because of internationals or World Cup qualifying but because I'd like to see MLS teams in the Copa Libertadores (the South American equivalent of the Champions League).

1 Move Israel from Europe back to Asia. If their neighbors wont play them, it's a 3-0 win for Israel.
2. Oceania is gone, New Zealand into Asia, Australia have already made that move.
3. Reunification of Soviet Union/Yugoslavia. European football was better when there werent 40 billion ex-Soviet states, half of which arent even in Europe.

There's a mod where you can play Yugoslavia on FM, Thought about d/ling it and trying it out.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dola:

Look at some of the lists/make a team of your own for what a"Yugoslavia" team would look like today - they'd be a Top 3 or certainly Top 5 team in the world.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Basically it would combine the Gold Cup and the Copa America. I'd like to see it too, tbh.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That may not be a bad idea for WC qualifying anyway. Right now, South America gets 5 spots and has 10 members of its federation. Merging with CONCACAF would create something like 9.5 spots and CONEMBOL (South America) would like get 6 of those spots... so its more for them .
Old 07-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
There's going to be a tournament in 2016 similar to that to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the South American Copa America. And it's going to be held in the US too!

linkie - Copa América Centenario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cool, I'll look forward to that!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I agree that I'd love to see MLS teams in a UCL and/or EURO Cup type competition, though I imagine it would need to be adjusted somewhat given the considerably greater travel distances (and the fact that some South American leagues really pack their schedules).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote