Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My wireless connection sucks, I am stupid, and need your help

I suspect this is a dumb question so please go easy on me.

My home's wireless connection has never been great, and recently it's been getting worse. It will occasionally slow down to a crawl, then eventually pick back up to semi-usable. Also, the router is down in the basement (and can't be moved), and the connection is occasionally unavailable upstairs.

My wireless router is a cheap one -- is the fix here as simple as just going out and getting a better one? And if so, what should I be looking for?

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-28-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Or get a wireless extender.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just making sure here ... the issue is with your devices connecting well to the home network, not like what I had where the problem was largely based around how the network dealt with the outside world. Right?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I suspect this is a dumb question so please go easy on me.

My home's wireless connection has never been great, and recently it's been getting worse. It will occasionally slow down to a crawl, then eventually pick back up to semi-usable. Also, the router is down in the basement (and can't be moved), and the connection is occasionally unavailable upstairs.

My wireless router is a cheap one -- is the fix here as simple as just going out and getting a better one? And if so, what should I be looking for?

I am no real expert on this stuff, but I am a bit obsessive when it comes to it and I recently (in December) upgraded my wireless router so...

1. Do you have a cable modem and wireless router? Depending on how old your modem is, it might be a bit out of date. I was renting one through Comcast for 7-8 years, but recently bought a new one and returned the rental.

2. I also bought a new router. This one: Amazon.com: NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000): Computers & Accessories. (I hear this one is excellent too: Amazon.com: ASUS (RT-AC68U) Wireless-AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit Router: Computers & Accessories. I have been really happy with it. I feel like it's range is a quite bit longer than my old router (which was 6-7 years old) and I've had no connection issues.

3. I have no real experience with wireless extenders, but before Lady H_B decided to totally reorganize our downstairs one day without telling me, I used to have a hard time getting any decent connection in my living room where the Xbox was. I decided to invest in a set of those Ethernet adapters (Amazon.com: TRENDnet 500 Mbps Powerline Ethernet AV Adapter Kit TPL-401E2K (White): Electronics) that you plug in the wall and create a land line if you will. That doesn't help with wireless, but if you have stationary devices, this worked really well.

4. If an upgrade of the equipment doesn't work, it could be something with the cable connection itself.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Silly possibility to add onto the pile but how well secured it is? Could someone be leaching your signal? Most routers let you see what all is connected to it

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I have the same issues, to the point where I have to reset the router at least twice a day. It is an older low-end router and upgrading that - along with upgrading my comcast modem - will take care of the problems, I hope.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
CraigSca
Pro Starter

There's an app that i used a couple years ago for Android that showed the different wireless network feeds I could pick up in my home and the channels they were on. It may be worthwhile to do a search for it, as it can show you if a neighbor's wireless uses the same or an overlapping channel.

We are an internet family (cable goes out? "meh") and when the internet is down everyone gets their feathers ruffled. I am hooked directly into our router but really got sick of the "network's down" or "there's no internet!" coming from around the house. Even though the house is 15 years old, I hired a guy to come out and pull Cat6 cable and now the entire house is wired. The reason I say this - I tried EVERYTHING - extenders, new routers, moving the router, powered antennas, etc., and none of them gave us wired performance or reliability. I'm sure the technology is getting better and I will assume one day it's going to be as good as wired, but it's just not there yet. It's awesome - but when you use the internet from the time you wake up until you go to sleep (in some capacity) you sometimes just have to deal with the quirks of wireless.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Echoing a couple of thoughts already expressed, if you rent/lease the modem from your cable provider, I would start there since it is the cheapest and easiest potential fix. Modem performance will degrade over time. This should be as easy as returning it to your providers retail location for an exchange or calling them and requesting to replace.

If that doesn't work, I would look at your router. Routers are pretty much the same as well in that their performance degrades overtime. You might get some improvement by going into the router's admin and make sure the firmware is up to date and all your settings are correct.

I'm assuming you're regularly rebooting your modem and router but unplugging from power for 10 seconds.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #9
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think I found the problem, you have too few letter e's in your wireless. Hope that helps.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I think I found the problem, you have too few letter e's in your wireless. Hope that helps.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Silly possibility to add onto the pile but how well secured it is? Could someone be leaching your signal? Most routers let you see what all is connected to it
I've wondered that, and I'm not sure how to tell. But I haven't seen a spike in my usage totals recently.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Or get a wireless extender.
I've seen these -- do they work? And would plugging one into a low-quality router really be worth it?
Old 05-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #13
Desnudo
Coordinator

Are you sure your provider isn't throttling usage as well?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #14
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I've wondered that, and I'm not sure how to tell. But I haven't seen a spike in my usage totals recently.

could also be other devices in your house - electronic devices like microwaves, cordless phones and electric dildos can interfere with your signal.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #15
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

First test--find an ethernet cable and plug it into your router and your computer (and you may want to disable your wireless on your computer so you can be sure you're connecting via the wire) and go to Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test and see the results. Then do the same but when you're on the wireless network. If it's equally slow in both, then you're having a network feeding you issue. If it's only slow on the wireless, then it's most likely the router and/or a combo of other things.

How many devices connect to your router? Are they all always connected, trying to pass data? Are they all using things that might be high bandwidth? Do you have any other wireless devices in your house (e.g. cordless phones)? Where is the router in relation to where you're trying to use it?

I recently had an issue where my wireless performance significantly dropped. I ended up replacing my router (the one I got from Verizon) and things improved significantly. It could be something as simple as that.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:48 AM   #16
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
There's an app that i used a couple years ago for Android that showed the different wireless network feeds I could pick up in my home and the channels they were on. It may be worthwhile to do a search for it, as it can show you if a neighbor's wireless uses the same or an overlapping channel.

Curious if you know the name of the app (otherwise I can dig around for it). I'd be curious to check this out
Old 05-23-2014, 02:26 AM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Maybe canadian wifi is only 65% as strong as american wifi?

Last edited by stevew : 05-23-2014 at 02:26 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:00 AM   #18
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Check the channels. Had a similar issue and once I changed the channels my speed increased.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #19
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Are you sure your provider isn't throttling usage as well?
I guess not... how could I tell? I'm not aware of them doing that, and we certainly don't use a ton of bandwidth.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
My home's wireless connection has never been great, and recently it's been getting worse.

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #21
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
How many devices connect to your router? Are they all always connected, trying to pass data? Are they all using things that might be high bandwidth? Do you have any other wireless devices in your house (e.g. cordless phones)? Where is the router in relation to where you're trying to use it?
The router is down in the basement. I'm usually one floor up when I try to use it. Two floors up, it's really hit and miss. (I tried to move everything up to the main floor but found out that would cost me a $100 service call to the phone company.)

We have a few other things that use the wireless, but nothing out of the ordinary. A PS3, our phones, the wife's ipad. None should be using much/any bandwidth most of the time.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #22
cougarfreak
College Starter

I used to have wireless issues until I purchased this: Amazon.com: Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station (ME918LL/A): Computers & Accessories

I've not had a problem since.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #23
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
Curious if you know the name of the app (otherwise I can dig around for it). I'd be curious to check this out

I think it was WifiAnalyzer - was a long time ago.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #24
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

So I tried plugging my laptop directly into the modem, and the connection was fine. That means it's time for a new router, yes?
Old 05-26-2014, 04:34 PM   #25
cougarfreak
College Starter

Have you taken your laptop to a library or something to make sure it's not the wireless card in the laptop?
Old 05-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #26
SteveMax58
College Starter

Whats your signal reading on your laptop in the upstairs areas that you use it? Should be shown as either (nearly) full bars, 80% +, or -40 dBm ideally but certainly could be worse & work fine.

I would checkout neighboring wifi interference before deciding on a new router. You might want one anyway considering the distance from the basement but not always. To determine that, you'll need an app of some sort. Here's a freeware version of InSSIDer (its v3 but will do what you need, latest paid version is like v4). inSSIDer 3.1.2.1 Download - TechSpot

It will show you your network and other surrounding networks and their associated channels. It becomes really easy to understand why your wifi isnt working when you see your network and a neighboring network are on the same channel. Simply bumping your channel to a non-interfered channel can make all the difference when that's the issue.

If you do need the new router, I'd echo HB's recommendations (I have the ASUS myself & love it).
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Maybe someone you know has a USB WiFi card adapter you can borrow? Would be easy way to test if it's the internal card.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #28
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Have you taken your laptop to a library or something to make sure it's not the wireless card in the laptop?
No, my wireless card on the laptop is fried -- has been for a few months. I bought a D-Link USB adapter to remedy that, and it had worked well until these issues showed up a few weeks back.

The only other places I've used the laptop since then are hockey press boxes, which typically have slightly better wireless than 1920s Saskatchewan.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:17 AM   #29
britrock88
Pro Starter

Or 2010s Manitoba?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #30
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Any thoughts on this post, which basically argues that wireless extenders are a last resort, and upgrading the router is a far better option?
The Best Wi-Fi Extender (If You're Out of Options) - Tested

(And after this, I promise to shut about this and just buy something.)
Old 05-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #31
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Any thoughts on this post, which basically argues that wireless extenders are a last resort, and upgrading the router is a far better option?
The Best Wi-Fi Extender (If You're Out of Options) - Tested

(And after this, I promise to shut about this and just buy something.)

That article is pretty consistent with my various research efforts on these topics.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #32
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Well, I bought a nice shiny new router, and it doesn't work -- presumably because my DSL modem/router won't play with it.

I'm going to call tech support after I'm done smashing everything with a sledgehammer and then burning my house down. I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 05-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #33
stevew
Hall Of Famer

.........and that was the last time anyone heard or saw of Sean.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #34
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Well, I bought a nice shiny new router, and it doesn't work -- presumably because my DSL modem/router won't play with it.

I'm going to call tech support after I'm done smashing everything with a sledgehammer and then burning my house down. I'll let you know how it goes!