Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
tarcone
Coordinator

I Got a Bike

My sister and brother-in-law are on their way to Iowa to ride in RAGBRAI. They stopped by our house and spent the day and night with us, and my brother-in-law gave me his old bike. It is a road bike with 5000 miles on it and is in good shape.
I have decided that this is my new exercise choice. My goal is to ride in RAGBRAI next Summer.
I went for a ride today around my subdivision. Man, I really felt it in my legs. Im going to have to get in shape.

tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Sweet! At 5000 miles, there should still be a TON of life left in the bike. The Ride Across Iowa is always something I've been interested in as well, ever since reading about it way back in high school. Worthy goal to shoot for!

I know what you mean about the legs. Completely different muscles than walking. I did a lot of mountain bike riding a couple of weeks ago on our New Mexico camping trip. First ones to "feel the burn" for me were the outside muscles at the top of my legs.

This just might be the impetus for me to go out and get my old Zeus racing bike back in running order.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
tarcone
Coordinator

This years theme for RAGBRAI is "Pie". So every small town that is a stop along the way, there will be pies to eat everywhere.

last year my bro-in-law camped next to Lance Armstrong.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Can you ride your bike with no handlebars?
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Very cool. There are a handful of cyclists here, including me, though I've had issues riding lately. Feel free to post if you have any questions. Is a dynasty forthcoming?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Went out and took a look at my old road bike, and it won't take a whole lot to get it back going again. I'll order the parts so that they will arrive when I get back in town next week. I like riding my mountain bike on the trails, but I do miss the ability to haul ass on the street.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:19 PM   #8
tarcone
Coordinator

I was thinking of a dynasty. But I always let them fade away. I may try again.

I have decided to start riding everyday, at least in my subdivision. It is a mile around the streets with a couple hills. I figure this is a good way to start.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #9
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it

+1'

I don't know why I call him Gerald.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #10
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Hey! I got a bike yesterday too.

I had this ten-year-old mountain bike that always got flat tires (yes, I tried whatever you will suggest to fix it). Got so frustrated with it that I just stopped riding. I had "Buy New Rims" on my list of things to do from before our first child was born.

Finally went and looked at new rims yesterday. Realized that I should just get a whole new bike instead. Picked up a mid-range Specialized mountain bike, and went for my first ride in years yesterday. Felt great. And no flats! Funny how you forget how much you enjoy certain things.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

So, tarcone, did you ever get around to riding in the RAGBRAI? Hard to believe that it was 4 years ago when I posted that it wouldn't take much to get my old road back back in riding shape. Well, let me tell you. It is hard finding parts for a 35+ year old racing bike. I finally tracked down the last couple of key pieces, and took it for a quick ride tonight. Man, I've missed this bike. It was the one I used back in high school when I was racing. That was 20+ years and 50+ pounds ago. Not 17 and 135 pounds anymore.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Awesome Cartman! I recently got a new road bike that I've been riding a bunch more lately (did about 90 miles last week on it).

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
cartman
Death Herald

I saw that you found me on Strava That's the modern touch on the handlebars. I repurposed my old iPhone 3GS to help track my rides.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
tarcone
Coordinator

I never did ride in RAGBRAI. I fell out of riding. No one to ride with and my motivation went away. I had fun when I was riding. I need to start again.
Has it really been 4 years? Jeez. Where does the time go?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
Old 08-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #15
nol
Banned

I rode it the summer after graduating from high school. Pretty sure that "pie" has been the RAGBRAI theme for the past 30+ years. Or "beer." If you do end up doing it, don't be surprised if you manage to weigh more at the end of the week
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #16
Subby
lolzcat

That's a beautiful bike! Good to see more cyclists coming out of the wordwork here.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
britrock88
Pro Starter

I only realized lately the bump in fitness I got from riding 2-3 miles to/from law school over the last 3 years, and how much slower I feel now that I'm driving to work.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #18
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
I rode it the summer after graduating from high school. Pretty sure that "pie" has been the RAGBRAI theme for the past 30+ years. Or "beer." If you do end up doing it, don't be surprised if you manage to weigh more at the end of the week

Yep. I grew up in Iowa and remember the time they stopped in the city park across the street from my house. I had a great time.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
Old 05-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #19
cartman
Death Herald

The bike in the pic above was getting a bit long in the tooth. I had some other parts start to go in it, and instead of continuing trying to track down parts, I broke down and got a new frame and a Shimano 105 groupset.

I finished up the build late last night, and I just took it outside to snap a pic and take it for a quick shakedown ride. It was at that point I realized I mounted the brake levers/shifters on the wrong side. Oops. Hopefully I can just remove the handlebar tape, remove the levers from the clamps, and just swap them with the cables still attached.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #20
britrock88
Pro Starter

Mabes I should look for a true road bike (my current is a hybrid) and get out on some country roads. Bismarck ain't the friendliest town for cyclists...
Old 05-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Everytime I decide I really want to get into actual distance cycling there's some sort of accident and a cyclist gets killed around here.

Other than that my life is almost perfect for it...my commute is like 12 miles roundtrip, there's a couple different options for ways I could go to make it a little longer/flatter/whatever.

So I always get real close to taking the plunge and then weigh it from a risk/reward perspective and back off.

There's a gym right next to my office - I mean I could even work up a sweat and then shower before work in the summertime. Really the safety thing is my only issue with it.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-29-2014 at 04:36 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #22
Subby
lolzcat

I started bike commuting in 2012 and while I have had a few mishaps along the way, my physical and mental health is so much the better for it.

If anyone is interested in taking the plunge, I am happy to answer any questions or point you to any resources.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #23
DanGarion
Coordinator

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #24
britrock88
Pro Starter

Well, there's some motivation if you need it.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #25
cartman
Death Herald

Whew. Was able to just remove the handlebar tape, unbolt the levers, and swap their positions. Only took about 15 minutes. I was dreading having to pull all of the cables and re-setup everything.