Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Louisville -- Things to do?

Next week Sunday (20th) to Saturday we're heading down to Louisville with my wife's side of the family.

We have 7 adults (including gma and gpa)
7 kids (1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5).

We're obviously limited on things to do with the kids along but we certainly can bring them to some places that would make sense.

Grandma and grandpa will be watching the littlest ones (1, 1, 2) when need be.

Young adults may be able to get away in the evening for a nice dinner out.

Guys will want to get away by themselves leaving behind the ladies. I think I saw the Louisville minor league team in town so that might be on our agenda.

The LVille slugger museum I know along with the Muhammed Ali museum.

Fun things for kids?
A great lunch spot? (once or twice maybe)
A great dinner spot? (one time probably)
Good pizza place? Kid friendly.

Last edited by mauchow : 04-13-2014 at 09:03 AM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #2
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Here's a few ideas I have (I live just 30 mins north of Louisville)

For the kids: The Science Museum is downtown along Museum Row. There's a special section of the museum dedicated to play that would work for very young kids. There's lots of places around the city for older kids, but it's a bit limited for young ones. There are parks along the waterfront that have playgrounds and the old railroad bridge just east of I-65 has been turned into a pedestrian bridge. It's a great area. However, they've had issues with large gangs of youths roaming the area at night so be aware of that.

The guys: The Bats are the minor league team. They have a great stadium right along the river.

Another museum that's worth a look is the Frasier History Museum. It's just across from the Slugger Museum. It's got an emphasis on military history.

Dinner: Depending on your budget, my favorite place to go is Gasthaus German restaurant in Louisville. Amazing food, but it's not cheap ($15-25 a plate). It's only open for dinner and takes reservations at either 6 or 8. Ramsi's Cafe on the World is another good dinner spot.

Pizza: Impellizari's is rated the best in Louisville but not as kid friendly. Wick's is actually my personal favorite. Great deep dish, tons of toppings. Kind of a sport bar atmosphere. Across the river in New Albany is the New Albanian Brewing Company that has some incredible pizza.

Lunch: There's a great Cuban place called Havana Rumba that's good. Near it is the Bluegrass Brewing Company which is also nice. Yang Ki Noodle is next to a mall, but the food is fresh and very good. Irish Rover and Molly Malone's are good Irish restaurants. It's more of a brunch/breakfast place but Wild Eggs gets a lot of good press (only place I've mentioned I haven't been to).
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Here's a few ideas I have (I live just 30 mins north of Louisville)

For the kids: The Science Museum is downtown along Museum Row. There's a special section of the museum dedicated to play that would work for very young kids. There's lots of places around the city for older kids, but it's a bit limited for young ones. There are parks along the waterfront that have playgrounds and the old railroad bridge just east of I-65 has been turned into a pedestrian bridge. It's a great area. However, they've had issues with large gangs of youths roaming the area at night so be aware of that.

The guys: The Bats are the minor league team. They have a great stadium right along the river.

Another museum that's worth a look is the Frasier History Museum. It's just across from the Slugger Museum. It's got an emphasis on military history.

Dinner: Depending on your budget, my favorite place to go is Gasthaus German restaurant in Louisville. Amazing food, but it's not cheap ($15-25 a plate). It's only open for dinner and takes reservations at either 6 or 8. Ramsi's Cafe on the World is another good dinner spot.

Pizza: Impellizari's is rated the best in Louisville but not as kid friendly. Wick's is actually my personal favorite. Great deep dish, tons of toppings. Kind of a sport bar atmosphere. Across the river in New Albany is the New Albanian Brewing Company that has some incredible pizza.

Lunch: There's a great Cuban place called Havana Rumba that's good. Near it is the Bluegrass Brewing Company which is also nice. Yang Ki Noodle is next to a mall, but the food is fresh and very good. Irish Rover and Molly Malone's are good Irish restaurants. It's more of a brunch/breakfast place but Wild Eggs gets a lot of good press (only place I've mentioned I haven't been to).

+1 for Havana Rumba. I'd call it a "hole in the wall' type place but the food is very good there. They have two different locations now I believe.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
cougarfreak
College Starter

How long are you staying? Louisville Bats games are great, I see you have that on the agenda. If you feel like driving, there's a minor league team in Lexington as well (about 30 minutes east).

Last edited by cougarfreak : 04-13-2014 at 01:47 PM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

We will be there Monday (21st)-Friday possibly Saturday.

Might get a round or two of golf too if any suggestions..

Last edited by mauchow : 04-13-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:35 AM   #6
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Valhalla for golf for sure
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:03 AM   #7
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I assume it's member only?