JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

BBC now adds the fight includes "US personnel from the nearby CIA station"
Old 06-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #352
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Not being reported anywhere else yet but I trust BBC more than anywhere else I looked (CNN, MSNBC, Fox) except NPR and their website is typically slow to get news

FWIW, I first saw it on the AP Twitter feed (which was in the sidebar of some website or another) ... that's what sent me searching for more, which I found on BBC site
Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #353
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

A BBC correspondent says the assailants are embroiled in clashes with President Hamid Karzai's bodyguards, as well as security personnel from the nearby ministry of defence and a CIA station.

The Taliban have said they are carrying out the attack.

BBC News - Afghanistan presidential palace attacked in Kabul

Top story on sites in both Australia & Russia ... as of a couple of minutes ago, the only US coverage I'd seen was a single sentence brief from AP on the WaPo site.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #354
whomario
Pro Starter

Taliban also killed a group of mountain-climbers at a base camp in the Himalayas ...

Meanwhile, Iran had their presidential election and selected the most open-minded/western candidate.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #355
Autumn
Head Coach

My understanding is that the Iranian president doesn't really represent any change in policy. I mean the candidates are all basically selected by the Ayatollah to start with. Iran figures if people think it's a moderate they'll lay off them for a while. But nobody's going to get elected under that system that represents any policy change.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #356
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Things have gotten crazy in Egypt fast.

Protests are continuing.

As many as ten ministers have resigned from the government.

The military threatened to intervene somehow if Morsi didn't get things fixed in 48 hours.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #357
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that escalated quite quickly this morning. I have no idea what the actual outcome here will be.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #358
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, so here is what looks like the "long form" version of the latest from Egypt from AP.
My Way News - Egypt's military issues 48-hour ultimatum

So basically, the only substantial beef with Morsi that's mentioned (that I can find) is that the Muslim Brotherhood is calling the shots. Well WTH did anybody expect when they elected the guy?

I can't help but think back to the few "be careful what you wish for" voices during the last governmental overthrow. This article -- part "celebration in the streets" piece, part anticipating the conflicts to come -- after last June's elections seems worth re-reading today. Morsi won by a 13.3m to 12.3m margin (over the Mubarak tied guy), so what comes next? I'm guessing the Brotherhood backers demonstrate in the streets when, presumably, a Mubarak-esque candidate wins the next (hypothetical) election. And we get to watch as they lather-rinse-repeat indefinitely, since the country (based on the election results) is split roughly half & half.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-01-2013 at 01:49 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #359
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
the country (based on the election results) is split roughly half & half.

And here we decry public apathy...
Old 07-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #360
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Meanwhile, Iran had their presidential election and selected the most open-minded/western candidate.

That not saying as much as you probably hope it's saying.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #361
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
And here we decry public apathy...

Well, actually ...

Low voter turnout showed Egyptians' mixed emotions - The National

The election that seated Morsi last May drew only around 40% turnout (less than the 54% parliamentary elections of 6 months earlier)

The U.S. low in a recent presidential election was 49% in '96. Was 49.2% and 48.9% in 1920 and 1924.

edit to add: So you've got 60% that didn't bother to vote and the rest were split almost equally. I wonder which group is marching in the streets this week?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-01-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #362
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
That not saying as much as you probably hope it's saying.

not everything can be "solved" in a day and a bit of improvement is still better than none.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #363
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
not everything can be "solved" in a day and a bit of improvement is still better than none.

But the quesiton is, is it improvement, or is it the image of improvement so they can continue with more of the same? The mullahs are not going to offer up a candidate that wants to undermine their power.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #364
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Sure sounds like Egypt is on the verge of civil war. Morsi was on TV and said he wouldn't make any concessions and the military now says it will spill blood to defend Egypt. There are reports of clashes between Morsi supporters and protestors.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #365
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interesting (to me anyway) tidbit from a photo caption of the current AP story.

The pic is of armed plainclothes police guarding the anti-Morsi protesters, along with this:
Witnesses said that armed and masked men marching with Muslim Brotherhood protesters fired pellets at protesters holding a sit in in the Kit Kat area, leaving a number of people injured. Police men in plain clothes held their automatic rifles and sided by protesters to disperse the Muslim Brotherhood protesters.

So he's got neither the military nor the police with him? Umm ... what sort of half-witted lamebrain is he/his Brotherhood handlers to not at least have control of the police after a year in power?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #366
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Interesting (to me anyway) tidbit from a photo caption of the current AP story.

The pic is of armed plainclothes police guarding the anti-Morsi protesters, along with this:
Witnesses said that armed and masked men marching with Muslim Brotherhood protesters fired pellets at protesters holding a sit in in the Kit Kat area, leaving a number of people injured. Police men in plain clothes held their automatic rifles and sided by protesters to disperse the Muslim Brotherhood protesters.

So he's got neither the military nor the police with him? Umm ... what sort of half-witted lamebrain is he/his Brotherhood handlers to not at least have control of the police after a year in power?

They realized the Laffy Taffy area just wasn't going to get the publicity.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 07-02-2013 at 10:34 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #367
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
They realized the Laffy Taffy area just wasn't going to get the publicity.

They're obviously looking for someone to give them a break.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:04 AM   #368
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

I agree with that.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #369
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
But the quesiton is, is it improvement, or is it the image of improvement so they can continue with more of the same? The mullahs are not going to offer up a candidate that wants to undermine their power.

Eventually, I've always hoped that the Iranian youth will slowly carve out a new modern ideology. Eventually modernism will take hold in the middle east. I would hope it would happen now, but it just might still be 300 years away.

I look at the Middle East today and I still see Christianity circa 1400...they have a long way to go to change the mindset of their entire culture. Of course, the big problem with that is their desire to have nukes. Religious wars circa 1400 with WMD's sounds like a net loss to me.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #370
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They're obviously looking for someone to give them a break.

SI

Old 07-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #371
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So, uh, I guess round 2 for Egypt.

Morsi ousted in military coup. Their equivalent of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court is in charge. I think it's anyone's guess what happens next.

Morsy out in Egypt coup - CNN.com

SI

Old 07-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #372
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm not sure they are setting the proper expectations with these coup's...
Old 07-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #373
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

"We're going to keep on doing these until we get them right!" (or horribly, horribly wrong)

SI

Old 07-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #374
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So, with Morsy out, is Johnny Marr next up?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #375
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Someone on my facebook page who's in Egypt posted this:

So, Cairo watchers. Here's what the Defense Minister said:

Temporary halt of the constitution
Constitutional court acts as president
Early elections and constitutional court runs the country until a new president is elected.
The head of the constitutional court is empowered to issue proclamations during the transitional period
Forming a government to manage transitional period
Forming a committee that discusses required amendments to the constitution
Constitutional court forms a parliamentary elections law.
Having a code of ethics for the media.
Taking executive measures to include the youth in various positions in power and authority.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #376
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So, with Morsy out, is Johnny Marr next up?

You're on fire today.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #377
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My Way News - Police storm protest camps; 149 dead across Egypt

Question for anybody who cares to look (please, no "all look alike" jokes, I'm actually serious)

Do the man in the first picture look to be the same man on the left in the 2nd picture? Also note that the captions with both pics indicated that these are pics of wounded, not dead (i.e. I'm not trying to be a callous prick here).
edit to add: The captions also credit two different AP photographers, so it's not one photog sticking with someone as they're moved to a different location.

I'll spoiler tag the pics just to avoid causing the thread to hang up as much

Spoiler

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-14-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #378
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So this isn't getting any better in Egypt

SI

Old 08-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #379
Autumn
Head Coach

Obama announcing now that he will ask Congress for authorization to use force in Syria.

http://live.reuters.com/Event/Syria_9
Old 08-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #380
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Obama announcing now that he will ask Congress for authorization to use force in Syria.

Syria | Reuters.com

IMO, this was his best way out. It's a very pragmatic move, meaning that he believes he has the power, but realizes how unfavorable the option to use it is. If he goes to congress and they tell him no, not right now, he gets to save face, while coming out more popular all around as opposed to straight unilateral action. In the end, the congress gets to really exercise their views and the President gets to save face.

No way it's approved. I'd be very surprised if for some reason it is. But, at least he goes with the congressional blessing.

Personally, the vote was the best idea that I could come up with. We need to turn up the pressure on those who are in the middle east to police their own. They need to be called out and pressured for their own lack of action or passive acceptance of the status quo.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #381
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow.

10-Year-Old Works Alongside Father in Weapons Factory - Yahoo! News
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #382
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Call me tin foil all you want but that looks like war propaganda 101 to me.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #383
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Call me tin foil all you want but that looks like war propaganda 101 to me.

Put those conspiracy theories back into the box. I'm sure we got a full story with the two lines of text and the horribly sympathetic pictures. WE NEED NOTHING MORE! ONWARD TO WAR!

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-09-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #384
molson
General Manager

Ya, everyone knows that Syrian rebels have some of the more progressive child labor laws in the world, and that all the children are in school all week learning times tables.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #385
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Ya, everyone knows that Syrian rebels have some of the more progressive child labor laws in the world, and that all the children are in school all week learning times tables.

No, silly, they're learning fractions. How else are you going to make a good cut in the weapons factory?

Spoiler

SI

Old 09-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #386
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Maybe the kid is just a big Bugs Bunny fan, and really liked the one where Bugs worked in the bomb factory testing them by hitting them with a hammer.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #387
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

For fuck's sake. If the Syrians will allow real international control of even most of their chemical weapons it's a big win. Even if they dick around we can always bomb them later. There really are other options besides blowing things up.

But the war machine is hungry and must be fed.

Better said at TalkingPoints Memo:

Quote:
Secretary of State Kerry offhandedly suggested that Assad might be able to avoid a retaliatory strike if he surrendered control of his chemical weapons. Russia jumped into the fray by endorsing the idea and saying it would take the lead in pushing Syria to put its weapons stockpiles under international supervision and on a path to dismantlement. BusinessInsider says this was a galactic goof on Kerry’s part and Putin has put him “in check on Syria.”

That may be so. This Syria thing has been handled so badly that it’s hard to find any of it that has been handled well. But I’m not so sure I agree on this particular judgment. Or to put it a different way: diplomacy means always being remaining flexible enough to back out of brown bags you’ve walked into and grab other opportunities that may arise.

Why not grab on to this?

I’m not saying I think it will be easy or that the Russians are sincere. But getting all the regimes chemical weapons arsenal under international control would be no small achievement. Simply focusing on it would give the US something to apply leverage against (something it sorely lacks at the moment) and put the Russians in an awkward spot. The introduction of foreign forces of whatever sort is always something a regime trying to remain in power seeks to avoid. It would be a development that might well be used to leverage Assad out of power.

The key is that this potentially allows the US to reshuffle the deck and come at the problem on terrain which is inherently more favorable, given the Russian opening. Take the whole thing back to the Security Council. Have the Russians veto what they just proposed.

One might say this only amounts to a delaying tactic to stall US military action. But really? At the moment our tally shows that 232 members of the House are on the record as planning to vote ‘no’ - in other words, well over a majority. 47 are yes and 153 undecided. (If Obama can just get 150% of the undecided to go his way he’s golden.) So it’s not clear to me that there is anything to delay.

Is it ideal? No. But our current position is far from ideal. We should see this as an opportunity.

Last edited by JPhillips : 09-09-2013 at 12:15 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #388
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

I don't think that all the kids there are learning 'fractions' - however the photo's I've seen look staged for various reasons (lack of other people in pictures, disparate activities involved, obvious 'bomb shaped' items being manhandled, photogenic kid with carefully placed 'dirty face' etc.).

In practice in a munitions plant you'd give any unreliable workers (ie. kids) things to do which were easy and repetitive and unlikely to explode surely ... thats not 'progressive child labor laws' thats wanting your weapons to be completed and not blow up taking your raw materials and workers with them.

For a 'western equivalent' - when we have work experience kids in from school in the UK they work in QA, we don't give them a critical part of the game to code, when I worked on farms as a kid I did the menial tasks - mucking out stalls without animals in them etc. .... they didn't give me anything dangerous to do or that I could potentially screw up too badly.

PS - One thing I'm wondering is that such munitions plants are likely 'strategic targets' should any bombing be done - as such should we consider those photo's 'pro bombing' (ie. look at how horribly they treat their kids) or anti-bombing (ie. don't bomb their munitions plants, think of the kids).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 09-09-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #389
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I don't think that all the kids there are learning 'fractions' - however the photo's I've seen look staged for various reasons (lack of other people in pictures, disparate activities involved, obvious 'bomb shaped' items being manhandled, photogenic kid with carefully placed 'dirty face' etc.).

In practice in a munitions plant you'd give any unreliable workers (ie. kids) things to do which were easy and repetitive and unlikely to explode surely ... thats not 'progressive child labor laws' thats wanting your weapons to be completed and not blow up taking your raw materials and workers with them.

For a 'western equivalent' - when we have work experience kids in from school in the UK they work in QA, we don't give them a critical part of the game to code, when I worked on farms as a kid I did the menial tasks - mucking out stalls without animals in them etc. .... they didn't give me anything dangerous to do or that I could potentially screw up too badly.

PS - One thing I'm wondering is that such munitions plants are likely 'strategic targets' should any bombing be done - as such should we consider those photo's 'pro bombing' (ie. look at how horribly they treat their kids) or anti-bombing (ie. don't bomb their munitions plants, think of the kids).

How can I be one of those kids in QA??
Old 09-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #390
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post

You want war propaganda, you aint seen nothin yet. Tomorrow's nights address to the nation is going to be pulling out all the stops! They have already hit the children angle about every way you can so its on to the women. I am guessing tomorrow we will find out how they rape all their women and then kill them and eat their private parts. Bloodthirsty cannibal rapists!

Last edited by panerd : 09-09-2013 at 01:14 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #391
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Amazing bravery...........

Pakistan to award slain boy for foiling bombing - Yahoo News
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote