Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #201
Radii
Head Coach

I know it'll just be for a week to have depth, but damn, I haven't heard that name in a long time.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #202
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Last I heard he was teaching/coaching high school. He was a great guy, an average QB, and an above average backup QB here in Cincy.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #203
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Thus, resetting the Hall of Fame eligibility.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #204
Danny
Head Coach

Who is who in the playoffs?

Player A QB Rating: 87.4
Player B QB Rating: 88.4

Player A Completion %: 62.3%
Player B Completion %: 63.4%

Player A YPA: 6.71
Player B YPA: 7.46

Player A is Tom Brady
Player B is Peyton Manning

Now, I am not trying to say Manning has been more successful than Brady in the playoffs, but statistically they are very similar.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #205
Danny
Head Coach

Now, the most amazing playoff stat is Joe Montana. In 4 superbowls he is 11/0 for a 127 QB rating, 68% completion % and 9.36 YPA
Old 12-26-2013, 05:55 AM   #206
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Last I heard he was teaching/coaching high school. He was a great guy, an average QB, and an above average backup QB here in Cincy.

Jon Kitna to donate game check to high school | ProFootballTalk

good stuff
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #207
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Now, the most amazing playoff stat is Joe Montana. In 4 superbowls he is 11/0 for a 127 QB rating, 68% completion % and 9.36 YPA

Yes, that's why I have long kept him as #1 all-time, despite what Brady and Manning have and are doing.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #208
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It's amazing what Peyton and the Broncos have done this season

Code:
BEST OFFENSES OF ALL TIME TEAM POINTS YARDS SCORES(RUN/PASS/FG) 1ST DNS TURNOVERS TM RECORD RANK(RUN/PASS) '13 DEN 538* 6,859 16R/51P*/23FG 407 26 12-3 14R/1P '07 NE 532 6,580 17R/50P/21FG 393 15* 16-0* 13R/1P '01 STL 468 6,690 20R/37P/23FG 340 44 14-2 5R/1P '05 IND 419 5,799 19R/31P/23FG 363 19 14-2 16R/3P '98 MIN 511 6,264 17R/41P/35FG* 335 20 15-1 11R/1P '98 DEN 475 6,092 26R*/32P/23FG 347 20 14-2 16R/1P
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #209
miami_fan
Coordinator

Aaron Rodgers is starting on Sunday.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #210
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Aaron Rodgers is starting on Sunday.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #211
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post

for the Packers

for my failed fantasy team

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #212
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Who is who in the playoffs?

Player A QB Rating: 87.4
Player B QB Rating: 88.4

Player A Completion %: 62.3%
Player B Completion %: 63.4%

Player A YPA: 6.71
Player B YPA: 7.46

Player A is Tom Brady
Player B is Peyton Manning

Now, I am not trying to say Manning has been more successful than Brady in the playoffs, but statistically they are very similar.

I'm guessing this is a shot at my stats, but if it is, you'll only get me nodding my head saying "Yeah, I've been saying for years Manning gets too much crap for supposed playoff failures"

For most of his career, Manning has had a poor defense behind him. For Brady's three Super Bowl titles, the Patriots finished 2nd, 1st and 6th in points against. In his first three playoff years, here is the 9 game points against total against the Patriots D during their Super Bowl years:

13, 17, 17, 14, 14, 29, 3, 27, 21, 20 ,12, 17 (L), 10, 20, 21 (L)

That's 15 games. No 30 point games against, 9 games under 20 points, 13 games 21 points or under.

Lets look at his non Super Bowl losses in points given up: 27, 38, 33, 28, 28

Hmmmm, wow. You mean, you can't expect any QB, even a hall of famer to score over 30 in playoff games and expect to win? Seriously? I mean, I would never have thunk it.

In 20 career playoff games, Manning's teams have generated 23 points per contest. Brady comes in at 24.75 in 24 career playoff games. Brady has been better, (not just points for, but better at protecting the ball and obviously the comebacks count for something as well) It just isn't by some overwhelming thing that people make it out to be. Manning has been just fine in the playoffs and had you swapped the two QB's out, you probably wouldn't have seen appreciably different results.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #213
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I'm guessing this is a shot at my stats, but if it is, you'll only get me nodding my head saying "Yeah, I've been saying for years Manning gets too much crap for supposed playoff failures"

For most of his career, Manning has had a poor defense behind him. For Brady's three Super Bowl titles, the Patriots finished 2nd, 1st and 6th in points against. In his first three playoff years, here is the 9 game points against total against the Patriots D during their Super Bowl years:

13, 17, 17, 14, 14, 29, 3, 27, 21, 20 ,12, 17 (L), 10, 20, 21 (L)

That's 15 games. No 30 point games against, 9 games under 20 points, 13 games 21 points or under.

Lets look at his non Super Bowl losses in points given up: 27, 38, 33, 28, 28

Hmmmm, wow. You mean, you can't expect any QB, even a hall of famer to score over 30 in playoff games and expect to win? Seriously? I mean, I would never have thunk it.

In 20 career playoff games, Manning's teams have generated 23 points per contest. Brady comes in at 24.75 in 24 career playoff games. Brady has been better, (not just points for, but better at protecting the ball and obviously the comebacks count for something as well) It just isn't by some overwhelming thing that people make it out to be. Manning has been just fine in the playoffs and had you swapped the two QB's out, you probably wouldn't have seen appreciably different results.

That wasn't a shot at your stats at all, I was actually trying to show that Manning has been just as good if not better than Brady statistically in the playoffs. I actually chose a few statistics I thought did give a pretty good picture of a pocket passing qb
Old 12-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #214
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post

Sweet, should be a fun game now.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #215
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Some cool accuracy charts for Tom Brady - FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Film Room: Tom Brady

Nothing that doesn't follow the general consensus here, but nice to see it in visual form.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-26-2013 at 06:31 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #216
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
For most of his career, Manning has had a poor defense behind him. For Brady's three Super Bowl titles, the Patriots finished 2nd, 1st and 6th in points against...

While we are throwing stats out there, lets explore the real reason why Manning has the reputation that he has. In the seven year stretch between '99 - '05, here are Manning's numbers in the six games (missed the playoffs in '01) that the Colts were eliminated in:

122 for 232 (52.5% completion rate), 1323 yard passing (220.5 per game), 3 touchdowns, 7 interceptions.

Now here are the numbers in the three games they won in that stretch:
71 for 89 (79.7% completion rate), 1139 passing yards (379.6 per game, 12 touchdowns, 1 interception.

There you go. While it's only a nine game total sample size, I think it's pretty cut and dry and also hard to blame the defense for those losses, or anything else for that matter. For the record they gave up the following point totals in those six losses... 19, 23, 41 (but they scored 0 so it doesn't really matter how many they gave up), 24, 20 and 21. Peyton Manning was awful in those games and was a large part of the reason why they lost. To his credit, his play has leveled itself out quite a bit since then and he has not been nearly as bad in losing efforts. I understand why he had the reputation at one time but he is much less deserved of it these days.

It's cute though when people say stuff such as "Manning had a poor defense behind him" and "Manning has been just as good if not better than Brady statistically in the playoffs." Lets not forgot that spending money on defense means that you have guys such as Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney as your top two receivers instead of Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne. I also think that probably has an impact on your passing numbers (imagine Brady's completion percentage without those Caldwell drops!).

For the record though, Manning has had a top 8 defense behind him six seasons (1st, 2nd, 4th, 7th, 7th and 8th) and failed to win a Super Bowl any of those years. In fact, he is one and done in five of those seasons. He's also been one and done eight times total. That probably also factors highly into his reputation.

Brady by comparison has been much more steady. He's not really flashy and does not put up gaudy numbers in victory nor does he put up many absolute stinkers in defeat. In fact, it's tough to find very many defining moments or games for him in victory or defeat. When they lose, there are other key players/moments that are easily pinpointed as the turning point, be it the Reche Caldwell and Wes Welker drops or the Tyree helmet catch.

So yeah, I guess statistically speaking, they are somewhat comparable (apart from winning percentage and Super Bowls) but how they each got there is vastly different.

Edit: Just for fun, combining those numbers from above, in nine games you get 193 for 321 (60.1% completion), 2462 yards (273.5 per game), 15 touchdowns, 8 interceptions. Not too shabby so even though they were 3-6 in that stretch, you can't blame Manning, right? Right?

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 12-26-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #217
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just in case you somehow missed it. Romo had back surgery this morning and is now officially out for the season
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #218
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Just in case you somehow missed it. Romo had back surgery this morning and is now officially out for the season

I guess he is no longer day to day
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #219
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I guess he is no longer day to day

His coach on the other hand ...

Old 12-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #220
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
His coach on the other hand ...

I'm not sure the move to Orton is that big of a deal. They'll miss Romo but Orton has been with them two years and knows the playbook and personnel and has had some success as an NFL QB. Plus, the Eagles gave up 48 points to an offensively inept Vikings team.

If the Cowboys defense can step it up a couple notches, they'll beat the Eagles even with Orton at QB.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #221
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I'm not sure the move to Orton is that big of a deal. They'll miss Romo but Orton has been with them two years and knows the playbook and personnel and has had some success as an NFL QB. Plus, the Eagles gave up 48 points to an offensively inept Vikings team.

If the Cowboys defense can step it up a couple notches, they'll beat the Eagles even with Orton at QB.

This. I think Orton will do just fine. He'll get rid of the ball quicker than Romo so he won't have to improvise as much. They have the talent on offense to put up the points...it will be the Dallas defense that wins or loses this game.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #222
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Heck, they had two games where they've scored 36 and 48 points respectively and lost. In their last meeting with the Eagles the held Nick Foles to 11/29 for 80 yards and McCoy to 18 carries for 55 yards.

I don't think this game is a slam dunk for the Eagles and if they come in thinking it is... they'll get blown out of the Jerry Dome.

Last edited by BillJasper : 12-27-2013 at 03:18 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #223
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Did Monte Kiffin get fired since last weekend? Because, if not, he is still not good at stopping a Chip Kelly offense.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #224
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heck, they had two games where they've scored 36 and 48 points respectively and lost. In their last meeting with the Eagles the held Nick Foles to 11/29 for 80 yards and McCoy to 18 carries for 55 yards.

I don't think this game is a slam dunk for the Eagles and if they come in thinking it is... they'll get blown out of the Jerry Dome.

True. Okay, Kiffin's D did stop the Eagles here. I guess we'll have to see how it goes on Sunday.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #225
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
True. Okay, Kiffin's D did stop the Eagles here. I guess we'll have to see how it goes on Sunday.

I don't have a horse in the race, I just think it's premature to write-off the Cowboys because of Romo's injury.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #226
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I would love to see Orton/Kitna lead the Cowboys to the Superbowl just for the Front Office hilarity that would ensue.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote