Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

ROTC Question

My 14 year old niece came home today and told my sister she is interested in joining the ROTC and looking into the Air Force to help with college. My sister is widowed and a single mom and I think some of this stems from their financial struggles, apparently they were at her school recruiting. That being said does anyone have experience or knowledge into the ROTC. Is there any sort of commitment required after school? Is it a form of reserves? How is it different from high school (minors) to college (adult)?

Any info/ insight is appreciated.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
MacroGuru
Coordinator

My Bosses son is in the ROTC at his college, he is going to be in town this weekend. I will get information and pass it on...I know others on the board might be helpful faster, but I will do my best.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

This was year ago, but I know my brother was in the military post college, but it didn't seem long. It might be four years with some of it served during college.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

In short its a program that sets you up to become an officer (as opposed to enlisted) in the military. It's an excellent program. You need a completed degree (paid for as long as you meet the requirements) and yes, there is a commitment required, 4-10 years depending on what job you get. 20 years gets you retirement.

http://www.afrotc.com/how-to-join/hi...google&med=cpc

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 10-17-2013 at 09:57 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
General Mike
Pro Starter

From wikipedia:

Under ROTC, a student may receive a competitive, merit-based scholarship, covering all or part of college tuition, in return for an obligation of active military service after graduation.

The term of obligatory service varies based on the type of commission the cadet or midshipman receives, as well as any scholarship contract signed. They can serve as active duty or in a reserve status. Additionally, a cadet on active duty can receive either a regular appointment or a reserve appointment. This affects the required years, as well as how many must be completed on active duty, in an active reserve capacity, or in the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR).
Under federal law, graduates of an ROTC scholarship program incur a four-year active duty service obligation (ADSO) and an eight-year MSO (military service obligation) if they accept a commission as a regular officer. Recipients incur an eight-year MSO if they accept a commission and serve in a reserve component. Finally, recipients incur at least a six-year MSO and up to an eight-year ADSO if they accept a commission and serve in a reserve component with at least two years of active duty.[6]
Army ROTC students who receive an Army ROTC scholarship or enter the Army ROTC Advanced Course must agree to complete an eight-year period of service. This can include three years active duty (four years for scholarship winners), with the balance in the IRR.[7]
The service obligation for a Navy ROTC student is five years in the Navy, or four years in the Marine Corps.[8]
The active-duty service obligation for an Air Force ROTC student is four years, or six years for Combat Systems Officers or Air Battle Management officers, or ten years for pilots.[9]
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My 14 year old niece came home today and told my sister she is interested in joining the ROTC and looking into the Air Force to help with college. My sister is widowed and a single mom and I think some of this stems from their financial struggles, apparently they were at her school recruiting. That being said does anyone have experience or knowledge into the ROTC. Is there any sort of commitment required after school? Is it a form of reserves? How is it different from high school (minors) to college (adult)?

Any info/ insight is appreciated.

I had a number of friends and fraternity brothers in ROTC. Short summary is it's a great way to pay for college as opposed to taking on debt. You will be required to serve after college as well as spend time during summer break in training. The obligatory service required will depend on both on the country's needs and the contract agreed to. The service can be either regular or reserves, depending.

Last edited by Desnudo : 10-17-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #7
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
In short its a program that sets you up to become an officer (as opposed to enlisted) in the military. It's an excellent program. You need a completed degree (paid for as long as you meet the requirements) and yes, there is a commitment required, 4-10 years depending on what job you get. 20 years gets you retirement.

http://www.afrotc.com/how-to-join/hi...google&med=cpc

This is great breakdown of what ROTC is. I was in ROTC in the late 80s for the Air Force after graduation I went thru advanced training and into the AF as a "butter bar" 2ND LT as a E3 Sentry (AWACS) Navigator. Right after that I flew off to the Gulf War 1989-90 good times for a 21 year old. My commitment was for 6 years I did 8 plus 4 in the reserves.

Last edited by Galaril : 10-17-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thanks for the feedback. I can Wiki it myself, I am looking for the feedback more from a personal experience, etc...standpoint.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #9
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

My wife's cousin is doing it in high school. I think it is more of a club in high school, it is not really binding to anything.

They do stuff like drill, fitness, present the flag at football games, etc. I think they also have study sessions for the military test (whatever its called).

He really enjoys it. He choose the ROTC over football and that kid loved football.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
My wife's cousin is doing it in high school. I think it is more of a club in high school, it is not really binding to anything.

They do stuff like drill, fitness, present the flag at football games, etc. I think they also have study sessions for the military test (whatever its called).

He really enjoys it. He choose the ROTC over football and that kid loved football.

Do you find it is grooming him or pressuring him to join for college. I am worried about her being influenced to join because of their financial situation.

don't get me wrong, I admire the hell out of the men and women in the military, and if she wants that as a career I'll support her. I just want her to do it for the right reason, not because she feels she has to or was influenced to by an over zealous recruiter.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Do you find it is grooming him or pressuring him to join for college.

I can't speak first hand, but I've been around a few ROTC kids over the years, the number that ever hit the military was pretty slight (so if anybody was recruiting, they were lousy at it). Honestly, as often as not I've seen the HS programs be a way to give at-risk kids some structure, typically run by retired military guys.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post

I believe that is the ASVAB.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

I went through Army ROTC and can provide insight from that perspective, which I'm guessing is basically the same. Do you have any questions in particular?
Old 10-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm guessing you're referring to JROTC, the high school version of ROTC for high school students, right? Or are you referring to a 14-year old being interested in eventually joining ROTC when she gets to college in 3-4 more years?

If you're talking about JROTC, there's no pressure to join the military. I spent four years in JROTC in high school. I then joined active duty a year after high school, but JROTC had nothing to do with that other than I knew that I could probably survive basic and JROTC cadets get automatically promoted to E-3 in any branch of the military they join after basic, which is a nice little perk if they serve as three years in JROTC.

It's basically a school club, JROTC is. You can be as involved or not involved as you want. Most have drill teams, ours had its own newspaper and we did lots of random stuff including community service. It was where I made a lot of my friends and like I said...while you learn a lot about military, there's no pressure to join.

For ROTC in college, you can join and there's no requirement to join the military for the first two years. You can join, run with them, participate in cadet activities and then if you decide you don't want in, so long as you're not on scholarship, there's no harm and no foul if you want out.

Many of them will get on scholarship at some point, at which point you will owe the military time. But I know a lot of cadets who opted to serve in the Reserves or the Guard rather than doing active duty.

But JROTC isn't the same as ROTC and it's far less hard core for the most part. It does, however, depend on your squadron and who leads it in HS.

Being in JROTC won't help with college at all, explicitly. Other than being able to apply for the same ROTC scholarships as anyone else heading into school. The military offers the new GI Bill which is a pretty good deal, because it covers in-state tuition at a public school, you get a stipend for living and a book allowance. It's a lot more generous than the Montgomery GI Bill was for folks who served pre-9/11. This is for folks who go on active duty or who end up serving in the guard/reserves too in more limited ways depending.

So that can help with college, sure, if she were to go into JROTC, then decided to go on active duty.

But a 14-year old kid should probably not be too worried about anything other than being involved and getting good grades and test scores. Those will get you just as much -- if not more -- money than trying to go the military route unless said kid is sure they want to be in the military. JROTC/ROTC can help with figuring that out, though.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-20-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote