Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
samifan24
Pro Starter

PS3 HDMI Handshake Issue

I'm hoping some fellow PS3 owners can help me out. We lost power last week and my Samsung HDTV won't recognize my PS3 via HDMI no matter what I try. It recognizes the component cables just fine and I have a cable box and Xbox which both work with the same cable and in the same TV ports so I know that isn't the issue.

I've read online that this is known as an HDMI handshake issue. Most people recommend resetting the PS3's video output by holding down the power button on the console until you hear a second beep. I've tried it, over and over and over again. It doesn't help.

I've also tried manually setting the PS3 video output using component. No dice. I've read about TV game modes causing problems but my TV evidently doesn't have one. I own an HDMI switch and have tried both with and without the switch. The Xbox works fine either way, the PS3 does not.

Some people say that if you hook up your PS3 to a different HDTV it will work but I only have one TV. I just had the "motherboard" on my TV replaced by Best Buy and in the process of doing so brought my PS3, which worked fine at the time, in to test to make sure my PS3 wasn't the problem. Everything worked fine at Best Buy so I know this is the dreaded handshake issue.

Please help! I've exhausted my resources and can't figure out how I can make it work again. The PS3 was fine for years before this and, when the handshake issue happened on occasion before, performing a video reset by holding the power button worked. Not anymore.

Last edited by samifan24 : 06-20-2013 at 05:55 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
samifan24
Pro Starter

Anyone?
Old 06-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
Ron Mexico
n00b

This happened to me once before while using an HDMI switch. IIRC, I fixed it by the video reset to boot using composite then changing the settings to HDMI.

Ultimately got rid of that video switch but YMMV.
Ron Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
cougarfreak
College Starter

Do you have a friend that you can test the PS3 with? Is it still under warranty?
Old 06-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
samifan24
Pro Starter

The PS3 is out of warranty so no luck there. I'm going to take it to Best Buy and test it there and try to reset it on a different HDTV.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
samifan24
Pro Starter

The PS3, HDMI switch and two different HDMI cables all worked on the Samsung TV at Best Buy. I bring the PS3 home and it still won't work with my Samsung TV. At this point I'm thinking of just swapping the TV out under the manufacturer's warranty. Best Buy already replaced the TV motherboard due to a screen flickering issue so the only thing I can think of is this set is a dud.