Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Create-A-Channel 2013

This is shamelessly pilfered from another message board, but still thought it'd be interesting what folks here would do with it.

Would be curious to see what you all would do with it. Not sure there'd be enough interest to make it a "game" but interesting in a world with less people watching what folks would do.

Adapted rules here

Spoiler

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-13-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Looks like a TV network draft sorta. Sounds cool.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think the January 1, 2006 one would go away. This was originally posted in 2007 and updated briefly in 2010, so surely there would be adjustments made. I just thought it was interesting and would throw it into the wild.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What about cable shows? Or are only originally broadcast network shows (and syndication) eligible?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
What about cable shows? Or are only originally broadcast network shows (and syndication) eligible?

I feel like in 2013, we'd have to add cable shows or else this would be the worst game ever. So yes, let's say cable shows are in play. Should make it way more interesting.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Also, just noticed that the dayparts seem to be geared for Central Time rather than Eastern Time.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
I feel like in 2013, we'd have to add cable shows or else this would be the worst game ever. So yes, let's say cable shows are in play. Should make it way more interesting.

Nah, it wouldn't have been that bad with just broadcast.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
Suicane75
Coordinator

We talking all time or just on the air now?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
QuikSand
lolzcat

An entry from 2006... which was a monstrously good time for Mrs Q and me to assemble. Rules were still morphing then, so doesn't fit everything above.

I'll link, rather than embed, to save eyes and treat it as a semi-spoiler. There are some ideas in here that I'd probably fight you with a broken beer bottle to protect.

QTV 2006
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I'll link, rather than embed, to save eyes and treat it as a semi-spoiler. There are some ideas in here that I'd probably fight you with a broken beer bottle to protect.

I looked, just to see if the original intent was indeed "all-time" ... and sonuvabitch if your late nights didn't include what I had typed a few minutes earlier thinking I was one original-thinking-creative-out-of-the-box-SOB.

Dammit.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
QuikSand
lolzcat

Yes, the intent was "all time," originally and in my version above.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
Suicane75
Coordinator

Shit man, let's do this.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I like the all-time designation. See no reason to alter founders intent. Glad QS posted his spreadsheet, too.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ok, we'll make it a game. Not a draft, though. People should just pick what they want. Rather than post your schedule, maybe they should email me and then we vote on the lineups after a time period?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Or would folks prefer I simplify the rules. I have an idea to do so. Let me know. Or don't. I just posted this figuring it'd be interesting to riff.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #16
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The rules have a few quirks deviating from Quik's entry he posted that are a bit puzzling. I'm guessing the reason is to avoid loading up daytime with classic TV prime time hits while not carrying a single soap opera or daytime talk show.

If I'm reading the rules correctly as revised, you can have 3 syndicated shows that break the rules regarding daypart and airing only once per week. So if I want to air reruns of The Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island and Bewitched in the afternoon Monday-Friday, those are the only prime time shows I can air outside primetime, correct? I can't air Happy Days at 4pm even if I only air it once per week?

I'm kinda bummed I clicked on Quik's link ... clearly QS and Mrs. QS are people I would like to hang out with. There's going to be some similarity with my lineup.

I'll go along with any rules you all like. I assume we should all use east coast prime time to make it consistent?

And for the record, the creator of the rules should be flogged for saying David Letterman can't air in the morning. If I want to the air the 1980 David Letterman Show from NBC's morning lineup, I'll do it dammit.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think I'd prefer the rules be simpler.

So let's do this.

1. Make your own network.
2. Air what you want, when you want. No restrictions. You wanna air 24-hours of Sanford & Son episodes, have at it. I just doubt anyone will want to watch that shit.
2b. Rather than having to be stuck doing a lineup for an entire seven-day period, you should pick your best day lineup. So if you want to build out an awesome Thursday lineup, own that.
2c. You're allowed multiple entries, so if you want to dominate every night's on the tv viewing for pure network dominance, go ahead and attempt that. Just don't want it to be such a daunting undertaking for someone who isn't that committed.
3. The only real rule is you have to name your network something. You can use the dot-o-mator to do it if you want. Because it'd be funny.

Besides that, have at it. I think the peanut gallery will be able to discern which networks seem worth watching and which ones they'd rather never turn on. In a world of 1000s of channels, why not create a few.

The fast-sim guy isn't into a laundry list of rules.

I don't want this to turn into an IWS where we never get a result. So PM me your lineups within say...a week from Friday so MAY 24TH. I'll then post the lineups in a separate thread, we'll vote and gawk at the various channels of hilarity.

How's that?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #18
QuikSand
lolzcat

Y'all play however you want, but a big part of the fun for us was coming up with themed evenings, time-appropriate slotting, and so forth. I fear that if it's just 24 hours no holds barred, then it just becomes "pick your favorite 20-40 shows" and loses something. (We did some of that with our midday and late night reruns, and with a few exceptions that was unrewarding)
Old 05-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've pretty much got all but a couple of 3 hour weekend blocks filled already, using mostly the original rule set (or at least what I felt was the spirit of the original rule set). Once completed I'll send you that & you can do with it what you will.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Y'all play however you want, but a big part of the fun for us was coming up with themed evenings, time-appropriate slotting, and so forth. I fear that if it's just 24 hours no holds barred, then it just becomes "pick your favorite 20-40 shows" and loses something. (We did some of that with our midday and late night reruns, and with a few exceptions that was unrewarding)

I'm indifferent either way. People send what they want. I was just afraid the original task was a bit...daunting for casuals. But I'll take what we get either way.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-13-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #21
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Maybe that can be part of the judging. I'd like to think the peanut gallery would reward the more ambitious player who has some house rules for the challenge than just a top 30 shows of all time. I have no problems with the original rules.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote