Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2003, 11:11 AM   #1
Shepp
High School Varsity

CD or Download For FOF2k4?

I read on the Q&A post with Jim that he is considering the next release of FOF to be a download only product. I see the advantages of such a decision but I personally would prefer a CD product. Call me crazy but when I have a CD I know for a fact that I will have the game no matter what happens to my computer or hard drive and I would gladly pay extra for that piece of mind. I was was just curious to see what everyone else's opinion was on the subject.

Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 11:19 AM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Someone started a thread recently about Viatech and their customer service level, and I'd echo that. I had a hard drive re-format that cost me my OOTP5 license. I sent an e-mail, and had it back in less than 2 hours (and this was on a weekend). For me, that is less of an inconvenience than having to store more and more CD's. Combine that with the ability to play the game within a few minutes of paying for it, and I'm sold on downloading as my delivery option. Even when I have the option of either, I'll go download every time. I've never had a significant problem with a downloaded game, but I sure have had lost and/or damaged game CD's.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:21 AM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Someone started a thread recently about Viatech and their customer service level, and I'd echo that. I had a hard drive re-format that cost me my OOTP5 license. I sent an e-mail, and had it back in less than 2 hours (and this was on a weekend). For me, that is less of an inconvenience than having to store more and more CD's. Combine that with the ability to play the game within a few minutes of paying for it, and I'm sold on downloading as my delivery option. Even when I have the option of either, I'll go download every time. I've never had a significant problem with a downloaded game, but I sure have had lost and/or damaged game CD's.

And perhaps most importantly, a download means the game costs us less.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 11:22 AM   #4
Ben E Lou

Dola--

For example, I didn't realize it, but I lost my TCY CD. I have the box and order info, but have no clue where the CD is. I am fairly certain it is SOMEWHERE in my house, and most likely in a CD or DVD case, albeit the wrong one. I'd have to go through every case and jacket in my home (probably 200-300) to find it. Ugh.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:22 AM   #5
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

no shipping fee ($10 to Canada) + ability to play right away, that makes me a fan of the downloadable version...

FM
Old 10-31-2003, 11:31 AM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ditto the positive comments about ViaTech customer service. Their standard + instant play = d'load doesn't bother me a bit at this point.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:29 PM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've lost the disks or CD's of so many games over the years, but when I've lost download versions of game such as OOTP and JSB (due to hard drive failure,) I've been able to retrieve them very easily. I'm definitely in preference of downloaded games versus CD games.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:44 PM   #8
FBPro
College Starter

It is fantastic to be playing a game within moments of the release, not having to wait on the USPS or UPS. Not to mention that the tech support is second to none.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 04:27 PM   #9
azjoe_02
High School JV

Re: CD or Download For FOF2k4?

Quote:
Originally posted by Shepp
I read on the Q&A post with Jim that he is considering the next release of FOF to be a download only product. I see the advantages of such a decision but I personally would prefer a CD product. Call me crazy but when I have a CD I know for a fact that I will have the game no matter what happens to my computer or hard drive and I would gladly pay extra for that piece of mind. I was was just curious to see what everyone else's opinion was on the subject.

I'm with you on this. It is the piece if mind of having a product in hand.
azjoe_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 12:00 AM   #10
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

I'm 100% in favor of electronic distribution.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 03:06 AM   #11
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Download is better so we don't have to sit around waiting for the order page to be posted in hopes of being one of the people who gets in the first day of shipments. I always tend to miss out on the first group.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 04:09 AM   #12
sabotai
General Manager

I always felt it gave me peace of mind to know that whenever I want the game, I can just download it and have it up and running in minutes. Like SkyDog has done plenty of times, it's easy to lose a CD (and much easier to lose the CD-Key/Reg Code).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 09:15 AM   #13
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

My preference is to have the CD. Unlike other posters, I trust my organizational skills more so than companies like Digital River or ViaTech.

Someone mentioned a "price decrease". I don't know if that is necessarily correct. After all, instead of paying for the physical CD and packaging, you are paying Via Tech to "hold" the copy licenses. I'm certain that Via Tech is making a healthy profit off of this.

Maybe it's because I organize my cds, but I don't see an advantage in going to electronic download for consumers. It's too easy for companies like Digital River and Via Tech to go out of business, leaving customers out to dry. Jim's usually been good about working the problems out, but it's certainly another headache that Jim hadn't planned on dealing with when he signed to work on with Digital River.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 01:36 PM   #14
Shepp
High School Varsity

I have never had any dealing with Viatech so I can't comment on their service. However, I do remember Digital River from FOF2 and must say I was not very impressed. I'll still buy the game if its download only, but I would prefer to have the media in my hot little hand. The tech support may be good today but who knows what it will be like down the road.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 01:59 PM   #15
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

wasn't digital river EA's monstrosity for distribution?
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 02:09 PM   #16
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Shepp
I have never had any dealing with Viatech so I can't comment on their service. However, I do remember Digital River from FOF2 and must say I was not very impressed. I'll still buy the game if its download only, but I would prefer to have the media in my hot little hand. The tech support may be good today but who knows what it will be like down the road.
I'd say at this point, Viatech has moved to being a "proven" company, in a field that is not going away, but will only expand. They'd have to have a pretty major screw-up to totally go under any time soon.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:57 PM   #17
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Skydog,

Better companies have gone under. Digital River was at one time (and may still be) the largest online software distributor. And we know that their service went to hell.

And you make a good point. The field isn't going away. It's going to continue to evolve. And that's what scares me. It's easy for companies like Digital River and ViaTech to evolve in the wrong direction and lead to poor customer service. Support is always one of the first areas to go when a company has troubles.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:23 PM   #18
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

So how many times a week does this type of thread come up? I'm not saying not to talk about it (I don't mind, and it's not my place to complain about it anyway), but how many times have we seen this discussion before? Any guesses?
Old 11-02-2003, 12:56 AM   #19
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

7 times?