Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2003, 07:48 AM   #1
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

TCY: is that "normal" ?

A question dealing with player development.
My current starting QB, Broderick Winslett, has been redshirted for his freshman season (he was a top50 prospect in the country, a top10 highschool QB so very very promising).

Then he becomes the starter in his sophomore season and is outstanding.
Then comes his junior year -less impressive- but he continues to develop and I feel like for the first of his two senior seasons, he'll be almost maxed out and we should have fun watching the BYU offense roll...

Well, to my great surprise, at the start of the following season (2007), I see that he has still an awful lot of green bars left and his red ratings have regressed meaning he is a less capable QB then he was last year !

Is it a normal situation ? The way it goes, he'll finish off his College career half developped...pretty frustrating.
Any explanations on this ?

(I have screenshots, but don't know how to post them here..)
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.

Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 08:00 AM   #2
33sherman
Mascot

I have that happen all the time, but I can't explain it(especially with QBs and DEs). Maybe too much partying in the off-season.
33sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 08:02 AM   #3
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Ralph Friedgen is facing the same issue with his starting quarterback at Maryland this year. While McBrien was not a Top 50 recruit, he was the #12 rated passer in the NCAA last year. This year, he has been highly inconsistent and a large reason Maryland has been playing with one hand tied behind its back offensively.

I'm not sure if Jim put an occurrence like this in there on purpose, but...these are kids, and sometimes they regress and/or never pan out like their press clippings.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 08:05 AM   #4
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Or maybe you changed scouts and you see your player stats thru different eyes...
Old 11-01-2003, 09:05 AM   #5
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I've had it happen recently as well. In fact, I think I've seen players lose ability during the season if they didn't play...QB specifically.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:32 AM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I take it as this...........he's a bust....yeah he had a good season, but he hit the wall......thats it, he now sucks, it happens IRL.

Also, maybe part of him not getting his rating higher may have something to do with your O coordinator, how is he with QB's? I think this is a part of it, but for the most part i think he over-achieved his first year. Why wouldn't he over-achieve again? Well, maybe you lost some key lineman and your new guys gotta learn, perhaps your WR's are not as good any more. Lotsa crap factors in from my experience...........

...........as i look back, i remember a time when i had soon to be superior positional players across the board and near great O-line. As i got excited for my next season, after just missing the championship game, i dreamed of smashing records. But, i ended up having a worse year, record and individual stats both down. All because i lost a TE, and 3 key lineman, and the new guys took time to get into the swing of things.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:44 AM   #7
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I THINK there are some players in TCY who are hard-coded to become busts, and typically what happens is that they develop very little red ratings-wise.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:22 AM   #8
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

I see...Well, he's not playing well at all right now (coming off a disastrous 5 INT game last week in a key game against San Diego State).
I'm thinking about benching him for our upcoming game Vs #1 Notre Dame (sic) although that probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

We're a 25pt underdog, at home !
It's possible that he is just a bust...but I still give him the benefit of the doubt at the moment because he's been All-Mountain West 2nd team in each of his two seasons as the starter.
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:34 PM   #9
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Look at his school's athletic preperation, or something close to that on his player page. Players with a low rating there always seem to develop slower. I always had QB's that regressed after the season, but during the season they get up to, or higher than where they ended the previous year.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 07:18 PM   #10
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Ok I'll check that, thanks for the tip.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:27 PM   #11
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Could be just a random thing. I have taken teams and run through their "continue to next season" thing multiple times and found on occassion some players just don't develop. This is the beauty of Jim's system. Just as in real life, their is no "sure thing". A real life example I recall was Dan Marino. After his junior year everyone was ready to proclaim him the next Unitas. Then he had a terrible senior year and he dropped down as the 6th or 7th QB chosen in that draft. In the end we all know what happened. Players have up and down year and uneven development and Jim has done a great job tryin to reflect that. Not every super prospect develops and sometimes a nobody comes out of nowhere to be your best player.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:53 PM   #12
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

depending on how much practice time you have, players will improve in-season. those improvements reset in the off-season. it could be that
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 11:32 PM   #13
Runtheball
High School JV

I've had a few stud DLs that played every game and terrorized QBs all season long. They would gain alot in their red ratings during the season but lose alot of points in the off season. Every time I've noticed this, there is always a defensive coordinator with really low ratings for developing defensive linemen.
Beware the beast "Man", for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates he kills for sport, or lust, or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
-- The Lawgiver
Runtheball is offline   Reply With Quote