Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2003, 12:26 AM   #1
MrBug708
Head Coach

Unhappy Talk about rather Overwhelming

So, my parents come to me a few moments ago and say they want to talk to me. Ok, I figure out it's about the trip they are leaving on tomorrow for a few days to Montana to pick my grandmother up and bring her back to California after a terrible car accident. Well, it's partly true. It's more about what is to happen incase the fly crashes. Talk about a tough subject huh? They tell me that I'm incharge of the house being 21, the funds everything and to not let any other family member touch a penny of it. (Nice family huh?) but rightfully so. The only person my mother would trust is her father, but he's pushing 75 so it's not an agreeable solution. We have a lawyer friend who is trusted enough to interject on my behalf. This isn't the hardest part. I would get sole custody of my 17 year old sister and 12 year old brother and would be responsible for their forseeable future. Man, talk about potential pressure on myself. Not that I expect something to happen, but something that will always be on my mind.

Anyone else have any issues like these with their family? Obvious, it's more directed towards the college age crowd then the older ones, but I suppose you coul dbe the next in line legal guardians for a niece or nephew too.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 11-01-2003 at 12:29 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 12:32 AM   #2
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Damn, that must've been tough.

I'm just a year behind you, but for now I'll try not to think about it..
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 12:34 AM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

Indeed. It had to happen and we had talked about it before, it's just that I wasn't going to get custody of my younger brother ifit ever had to come to that

*knocks on wood for good measure*
Old 11-01-2003, 12:37 AM   #4
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Yea', that would freak me out a bit.

BUT, what is it with this misconception people have with plane crashes?

You're a LOT more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the airport than you are in a plane crash. Just never seemed to figure out why people can't understand how extremely rare plane crashes are (as well as terrorism, etc.), but don't understand how (relatively) common more "normal" tragedies are.

It's a shame...
Old 11-01-2003, 12:39 AM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think it was more to the point that I was at the age to be talked to about it more then the plane issue. This is the first time all 3 of us have been home alone for more then one night with my parents doing extended travel
Old 11-01-2003, 12:41 AM   #6
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Ah, k.

But my point still stands (as many people that I know do have a completely distorted view of accident frequencies)
Old 11-01-2003, 12:45 AM   #7
mckerney
Coordinator

Overwelming indeed.

Though my family has recently shown that just because someone says they want you to have something when they die, put it in their will, you can still hate the person who it's left to for not letting you having.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 02:13 AM   #8
samifan24
Pro Starter

I am in much the same situation. I'm 20 and a college student as well and have had a very similar conversation with my parents. I was told I will be the guardian for my two younger siblings and just the mere conversation frightens me so much. It's a shame our parents even need to have these conversations in the first place but man, talk about an overwhelming conversation. You hit the nail on the head, MrBug.
Old 11-01-2003, 03:37 AM   #9
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

My wife-to-be has siblings that are much older...therefore, have kids already. Anyway, one of her sisters asked us if we would take custody of her two boys (5 and 3...the youngest one is awesome!!!) if anything were to happen to her and her husband. Well...even though we'd be pretty strapped for cash and stuff...we talked about it for like a second and said of course we would. Then the sister throws out the fact that we would have to move out to their place...they live in a rural community in a town of about 200...to raise the boys, otherwise, we couldn't have custody.

WHAT???

The sister has since removed that last bit about moving...but, that still really spun me for a loop.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 04:15 AM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
It's more about what is to happen incase the fly crashes.

In my time, I've seen many flies land. They seem to have it down pretty good.

Seriously, that would kind of freak me out. If only because I know that's something my paretns wouldn't really bother talking to me about. But, when I think about it, they should. I've got a lot of greedy a-holes in my family...well, just one (my aunt). But shes' greedy enough for several.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 04:22 AM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Thank god my sister is 22 and can take care of herself. No custody worries here- I'm not nearly mature enough to do something like that.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote