Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2003, 09:49 AM   #1
Radii
Head Coach

Is this normal? (Wisdom Tooth Surgery)

I am having surgery to have one wisdom tooth removed tomorrow. Surgery is scheduled for 1:15pm, scheduled to take 90 minutes-2 hours.

So I am getting knocked out, I know I need a ride home, but I was planning on driving myself there, and my fiancee would arrive in time to pick me up after it was over.

The dentist office informs me that for them to do the surgery, someone else must drive me to the office, and remain there the entire time. I say that I dont' think my fiancee can take off tomorrow and that wasn't really stressed enough when we made the appointment, just that someone had to drive me home, and they say "$200 fee to change appointments, after its paid we will re-schedule for you".

Is this normal procedure for this type of thing? I got really really pissed off about this, I said that I had a ride home but felt they really needed to emphasize that someone needed to stay with me the entire time. Luckily for me, my fiancee was able to get off work for a few hours tomorrow for this, but I still have a very sour taste in my mouth right now.

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:08 AM   #2
Buzzbee
College Starter

Re: Is this normal? (Wisdom Tooth Surgery)

Quote:
Originally posted by Radii
I am having surgery to have one wisdom tooth removed tomorrow. Surgery is scheduled for 1:15pm, scheduled to take 90 minutes-2 hours.

So I am getting knocked out, I know I need a ride home, but I was planning on driving myself there, and my fiancee would arrive in time to pick me up after it was over.

The dentist office informs me that for them to do the surgery, someone else must drive me to the office, and remain there the entire time. I say that I dont' think my fiancee can take off tomorrow and that wasn't really stressed enough when we made the appointment, just that someone had to drive me home, and they say "$200 fee to change appointments, after its paid we will re-schedule for you".

Is this normal procedure for this type of thing? I got really really pissed off about this, I said that I had a ride home but felt they really needed to emphasize that someone needed to stay with me the entire time. Luckily for me, my fiancee was able to get off work for a few hours tomorrow for this, but I still have a very sour taste in my mouth right now.

It's been a while since I had mine out, but I believe I was required to have someone there as well.

Enjoy that sour taste in your mouth. It's better than the cotton that'll be in there after the surgery.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:10 AM   #3
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

I had mine done in '96. I had to have someone drive me to and from the dentists' office. It is required or at least it was back then.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty
DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:11 AM   #4
Bee
Pro Starter

Having someone there is pretty normal. The charging for a cancelled appointment with more than 24 hours notice is a little unusual from my experience, but not completely unheard of.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:11 AM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Completely standard. And the taste of blood in your mouth for the next few days is going to drive you crazy.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:47 AM   #6
Radii
Head Coach

Ok, I feel better now. With everything they were going over with me when I made the appointment, I somehow got it in my head that I just needed to have someone pick me up, and that the idea that someone had to drive me there and stay at the office the whole time was just asinine, but it's all worked out now.

I've had one taken out before, and it was a horrible, horrible experience, hopefully this one won't be nearly as bad.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:50 AM   #7
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Is this normal? (Wisdom Tooth Surgery)

Quote:
.... and they say "$200 fee to change appointments, after its paid we will re-schedule for you".

This would have prompted me to get another dentist to do the procedure. It sounds to me like these guys are in the business of fucking people over. "After you pay $200 we will reschedule you" Screw that business.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:00 AM   #8
Radii
Head Coach

Re: Re: Is this normal? (Wisdom Tooth Surgery)

Quote:
Originally posted by Glengoyne
This would have prompted me to get another dentist to do the procedure. It sounds to me like these guys are in the business of fucking people over. "After you pay $200 we will reschedule you" Screw that business.

If this wasn't an oral surgeon that I had to get a referral to for the surgery(plus waiting 3 weeks with a pain in my jaw that I feared could get worse at any moment for the consultation appointment), I definitely would have. At this point, I want the tooth out and to get the whole experience over with as fast as possible.

If my fiancee wasn't able to take off work tomorrow and I did, indeed have to cancel the appointment, I would have taken a different approach, probably calling my dentist back and asking for a referral to a different oral surgeon, or, finding a new dentist and starting over.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:06 AM   #9
Kevin
High School JV

It's one of those kill all the lawyers situations. (with the possible exception of Mr. Galt)
Old 10-30-2003, 11:09 AM   #10
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I had mine out recently, and they actually recommened just having someone come to pick me up. The parking at the place (downtown DC) was so bad that it made more sense to be picked up and dropped off.

I am sure that the "rule" in your case is in place because they do not want a bunch of drugged out paitents in post-op for longer than they have to be there because their ride got stuck in traffic.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:16 AM   #11
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
don't be a pussy. Just take the shot and stay awake. Then you can drive yourself home. Its not that bad.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:18 AM   #12
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin
It's one of those kill all the lawyers situations. (with the possible exception of Mr. Galt)

Yeah, kill KYsyrup!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:27 AM   #13
Buzzbee
College Starter

Radii - Mind if I ask where you are having it done? It would be pretty interesting if we had ours taken out by the same surgeon.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:50 AM   #14
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
don't be a pussy. Just take the shot and stay awake. Then you can drive yourself home. Its not that bad.

The first one I had taken out was the single worst pain I've ever experienced. I have two more wisdom teeth to come out, and I have absolutely no intention of being awake for either.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:53 AM   #15
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Agree with Fritz on this one. A shot and some gas were good enough for me. I was able to drive home after having my wisdom teeth pulled.

Plus, being awake for the whole procedure was interesting. You get to hear your tooth being cracked open. Very nice!
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:58 AM   #16
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
Radii - Mind if I ask where you are having it done? It would be pretty interesting if we had ours taken out by the same surgeon.

I can't remember the guy's name now, he is on Beaver Ruin Rd about 5 miles east of I-85.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:58 AM   #17
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Nothing like that "nail being pull from a board" sound coming from inside your skull.

FWIW, i think the worst part is getting a shot in the roof of your mouth. I nearly wet myself over that.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:00 PM   #18
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

Or be a real man and just leave 'em in.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:01 PM   #19
spleen1015
Coordinator

I didn't have surgery. My dentist just numbed me up and pulled them out. My wife ws there the whole time and drove me home, but it wasn't required.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:19 PM   #20
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
I can't remember the guy's name now, he is on Beaver Ruin Rd about 5 miles east of I-85.

Different. Mine was over near the Galleria.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:26 PM   #21
JeeberD
General Manager

I got knocked out with an IV and was woozy for several hours afterward. I didn't feel a thing and I wouldn't have had done any other way...

Old 10-30-2003, 01:12 PM   #22
samifan24
Pro Starter

I took someone with me when I had mine out and they actually sat me down in a wheelchair because I couldn't walk a straight line. Boy was I loopy!
Old 10-30-2003, 01:19 PM   #23
sabotai
General Manager

90-120 minutes for ONE wisdom tooth? I had all 4 taken out in about an hour. I was knocked out and they stressed before the appointment that I had to have someone there the entire time.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:20 PM   #24
sabotai
General Manager

dola,

I did the same as Jeeber. It was awesome. One second you are sitting there, the next you are being helped off the chair. Easiest dental visit I ever had.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:22 PM   #25
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by spleen1015
I didn't have surgery. My dentist just numbed me up and pulled them out. My wife ws there the whole time and drove me home, but it wasn't required.

The two I have left are impacted, my dentist looked at my mouth, looked at the x-rays and said "we can't do that here, have a referral to an oral surgeon". This one is somewhat decayed apparently and they are going to have to go in and dig it out. /shrug. I am terrified of dentists and ortho-whatevers, etc. Fritz can call me a pussy all he wants, I'll just pop another pain pill and smile.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:28 PM   #26
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
I got knocked out with an IV and was woozy for several hours afterward. I didn't feel a thing and I wouldn't have had done any other way...

Ditto for me. The surgeon was standing next to me after starting the IV. He asked me to tell him when I started feeling lightheaded. I waited for about 30 seconds, feeling nothing and wondering if it was ever going to start working. Then I started feeling a little light headed, told the surgeon, and 10 seconds later was out like a light.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:31 PM   #27
sabotai
General Manager

I didn't even start feeling lightheaded. I was sitting there all normal, waiting, then I was being helped out of the chair.

And oxy owns it up! I loved that little pain killing pill.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:51 PM   #28
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
I didn't even start feeling lightheaded. I was sitting there all normal, waiting, then I was being helped out of the chair.

And oxy owns it up! I loved that little pain killing pill.

Yup, I was talking basketball with the dentist then all of a sudden the nurse was telling me to wake up....

Old 10-30-2003, 04:34 PM   #29
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Nothing like that "nail being pull from a board" sound coming from inside your skull.

FWIW, i think the worst part is getting a shot in the roof of your mouth. I nearly wet myself over that.

That is quite accurate. The only wisdom tooth I have had pulled was termed an "emergency extraction". I was in highschool, and I was experiencing a lingering toothache all day long. Then in sixth period, it suddenly became excruciating. The throbbing was unbearable. So much so I went directly to my dentist. He said "Oh I see the problem, it is one of your wisdom teeth." At this point, since the pain was quite severe, and located at the FRONT of my mouth, I disagreed. This was soon to be one of those situations where I learned a life lesson.

After a couple of minutes of arguing with me about where the problem was, the dentist decide to settle the issue. He pulled out a tongue depresser, placed it at the back of my mouth, and instructed me to bite "gently". Being fully and completely confident that he was wrong, I chomped down on that tongue depresser like I was going to rip it out of his hand. The pain was beyond anything I can describe. It turned out that my wisdom tooth had come through my gum, and it was deformed. It was essentially missing a large portion of the "top of the tooth", that exposed the pulp and root to the open air. The life lesson I learned, after a few minutes of reflection was "Never argue with a sadistic dentist". (I had to change my original life lesson, or I would have certainly been nominated for a QOTM)

THe long and the short of it was, that it was pulled out while I was conscious. They numbed me up with a HUGE shot of novacaine, probably multiple shots really. The doctor did a whole bunch of stuff to pry my mouth open beyond all reason, and then started putting all these big metal things in my mouth. He then announced "OK, hold onto this elbow, if you feel discomfort, squeez it". Then he there was a horrible crunching, and ripping sound, not unlike what Fritz described above, but with lots more crunching. When I squeezed his elbow it wasn't because of pain, it was because of that noise. "Too late" he announced. The amount of blood that came out of me was impressive. Before they started I saw one of them load a what looked like a gallon milk jug into a box on the wall. When they were done with me I saw them take it out, and it was nearly full of blood and water and such. It was surely not all blood, but it looked like a gallon of blood when she pulled it out. The girl apologized for doing it in front of me, as it was the kind of thing that would sicken some people. It was near 5:00 on a Friday, and they were just really in a hurry to get home, so they were really doing the whole thing in turbo mode. I was pretty unpopular, as my emergency had been unscheduled.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:20 PM   #30
Radii
Head Coach

Yeah, really, i think I'll just not be awake. Nice story though Glen.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:34 PM   #31
Thomkal
Head Coach

Had all four of mine (and four other teeth) taken out at once by an oral surgeon, and you can bet your bippy I wasn't awake for it. It took an hour or so and I had someone to drive me there and home. I wasn't in any shape to drive there anyway since I heard horror stories like Glens

But I was one of the lucky ones. A little bleeding the day of the surgery, perhaps the next, and almost no pain. They had sent me home with a big time pain killer, and I took one the day after the surgery but at no time was the pain too much to bear.

Hope you get through this surgery as easily as I did Radii.

Now if you want the real horror story about a dental visit, then lets talk about that torture chamber they call the dental hygienst's room where they clean your teeth and gums with what feels like an ice pick. That was far worse than the surgery.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:38 PM   #32
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The dentist office informs me that for them to do the surgery, someone else must drive me to the office, and remain there the entire time.

Had mine done like 3 months ago, and this was required. My dad couldn't even go to the post office for like 10 minutes during the procedure... he had to sit there the entire time.

Quote:
at no time was the pain too much to bear.

Same here . Maybe the dentists are just getting better at this stuff .
Old 10-31-2003, 12:08 AM   #33
JeeberD
General Manager

Speaking of doctors...

Ugh, I managed to slice my left ring finger open tonight when a wine glass slipped from my left hand and by intstinct I went to catch it with my right hand. Pronlem was that I had two wine glasses in my right hand. They collided with the one in my left hand, shattered, and then went right on through to slice my finger open. I tried to keep working, but the bleeding wouldn't stop (kinda hard to bartend with a bloody hand) and I had to go to the emergency room to get stitched up. Wound up getting four stitches and a tetanus shot. Luckily the only thing I had to pay for was some band-aids at Walgreen's (thank god for Worker's Comp). The thing that really sucks though is that I work a ton this weekend and I really need to make a lot of money so that I can pay my bills that come due tomorrow. Gonna be hard waiting tables with a stitched up finger...

Damn, it's also hard to type when you have a finger that's wrapped up to four times it's normal size in gauze...

Old 10-31-2003, 12:16 AM   #34
sabotai
General Manager

Jeeber, I had a similar thing happen to me. I was helping my dad move an motor for an air compresser, and caught my hand on something. When I pulled my hand back, there was a flap of skin hanging off my hand (On the side of the knuckle for my index finger...). About a second later, blood, it poured out of it.

I also got a tetanus shot and 4 stitches put in. I ended up not working for a little over a week because if I move my hand too much (meaning I couldn't grab anything), the flap of skin of pop back off. I had to wait for it to heal over. I still have the scar from it and it'll probably always be there.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:42 AM   #35
JeeberD
General Manager

Well, I'm supposed to go back to see the doctor tomorrow to make sure that nothing bad has happened overnight. Hopefully he won't wrap me up like a mummy again, cause I REALLY need to work. I really couldn't afford to have missed work tonight, so two or three days would be terrible...

I don't think it's in a spot that will be really susceptible to re-injury. It's on the top of the finger, between the second and third knuckles. Thing I'm worried about most is grossing out my tables...

Old 10-31-2003, 12:58 AM   #36
bbor
Pro Starter

I tried ti jump out of the car on the highway after i had my wisdom teeth taken out.

So i think it is best to have some one drive you......and lock the doors.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:33 PM   #37
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
I tried ti jump out of the car on the highway after i had my wisdom teeth taken out.

......Why?
Old 10-31-2003, 12:43 PM   #38
JeeberD
General Manager

When my mom was driving me home after I had mine taken out we passed a golf course. I started crying and my mom asked me what was wrong. I told her that I like golf and wanted to play.

Those were some good damn drugs they used on me...

Old 10-31-2003, 12:44 PM   #39
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
When my mom was driving me home after I had mine taken out we passed a golf course. I started crying and my mom asked me what was wrong. I told her that I like golf and wanted to play.

Those were some good damn drugs they used on me...

Whatever they gave you, I want some.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:22 PM   #40
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
......Why?

I was stoned from the drugs they used to put me under.I had no ideas where i was.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:37 PM   #41
lurker
High School JV

So what happens if one of their patients has no one in their life they can ask to stay there? I can just see it now:

Dentist: So you have to have someone who will wait there the whole time you have your surgery.

Patient: Thanks for reminding me that I have no friends, and the only girl that ever talked to me just put a restraining order out on me.

Dentist: Oh, sorry, we only perform this surgery on people who have lives. Why bother fixing your teeth? You're not going to do anything fun anyway -- just stay in pain, you worthless excuse of a person.

By the way, I had a wisdom tooth out a few weeks ago and just got the shot, so I was able to feel them pulling it out. It was definitely a strange, but kind of cool, sensation. And they didn't even ask if anyone was there to pick me up, but maybe they figured I could walk home (which I did).
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:55 PM   #42
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm a little miffed that so many people have had their wisdom teeth pulled and not one person here has posted about issues with dry sockets. Miffed in a "why didn't someone else get screwed along with me" sort of way. My surgeon said that it was a very normal process, although he let me deal with it for an extra week before diagnosing me with it.

4 wisdom teeth pulled (with drugs) - no major issues
Dry socket - miserable, rotten pain that never stops until treated. 10x as bad as the mouth pain that led to the initial diagnosis to pull the teeth
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 02:20 PM   #43
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

hoops--I got two dry sockets when mine were cut out. Taking asprin was like taking candy--no effect whatsoever on the pain. Only vicodin (and getting them re-packed) helped. You are not alone.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 02:49 PM   #44
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Got Dry Socket? I reccomend Astrolube!