CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'm off to...:(

Dental Surgery. Ugh This won't be fun.

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Are you going under? If not, then I suggest bringing some music and blast it in your ears while they work.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Easy Mac

Had a pre-cavity filled this morning. The most painful part was the needle. I hate needles. The numbness was weird, but I didn't feel a thing during the actual procedure. Just cranked up some music and it was over in 10 minutes.

I need to get a root canal on a tooth I knocked almost 20 years ago. It never re-rooted itself and is dead. The dentist has been on me for about 3-4 years about it, but I'm not really in the mood to have that kind of surgery at the moment.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

I've got an appointment with the dentist on Thursday myself.

Solidarity, brutha.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Had a pre-cavity filled this morning. The most painful part was the needle. I hate needles. The numbness was weird, but I didn't feel a thing during the actual procedure. Just cranked up some music and it was over in 10 minutes.

I need to get a root canal on a tooth I knocked almost 20 years ago. It never re-rooted itself and is dead. The dentist has been on me for about 3-4 years about it, but I'm not really in the mood to have that kind of surgery at the moment.

Our dentist here is a magician - I didn't even feel the needle when I had a filling removed and replaced with the new kind that looks like your tooth. Now, there was a weird twang when it felt like he hit a nerve - he added more novocaine and waited a few more minutes, but needless to say I wasn't a happy camper. The shots themselves were nothing.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Radii
Head Coach

I've had about $2000 worth of dental work done in the past couple months, I'm deathly afraid of dentists and wouldn't go until I had a tooth chip. Found a good "gentle dentistry" type place, they give me lots of drugs and have been ok so far.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

ow ow o w ow ow

I've got vicodyne now.

It was root canal trewatment and cleanup and removal of a cyst behind a broken tooth that cracked in half when i was in 2nd grade.

I'm feeling ow.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

i miss when dentists gave you the gas
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
i miss when dentists gave you the gas

This
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Found a good "gentle dentistry" type place
Places like this exist?!?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post

My dentist is great with the kids, but for me he is SO gentle it is annoying.

"Now I'm going to move your tongue a bit to the side, so you'll feel a little pressure"

"You're going to feel a little tug here"

Just get it over with for goodness sakes.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post

"Now I'm going to move your tongue a bit to the side, so you'll feel a little pressure"

+1!

Just fucking DO it! Quit drawing out the pain!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post

I've noticed myself having to resist being a sarcastic asshole a couple times because of this... lots of "are you doing ok?" during the procedure when something feels a bit weird or uncomfortable and I have any sort of reaction, and my inner monologue keeps saying "Jesus fuck yes I'm as ok as I'm gonna be given what you're doing would you just shut the hell up and get this done?" and then I remember that this is what I asked for by coming to this place and they're all being really nice and understanding about the fact that I'm terrified of dentists and dental work and that I should just appreciate it and say yes.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post

Wake Forest Dentist

I'm going here, its really just a normal dentist, but in the past when I went to dentists my results were random and sometimes very very bad. Dentists who seem visibly annoyed when something hurts and you need them to stop for a moment. I have a bad gag reflex, one place I went *never* figured out that if something hits the middle/back of my tongue if you don't stop right away and fix it I'm going to dry heave and it happened over and over and over and over.

My biggest problem is this:

Quote:
This article is about a research showing that people with red hair need larger doses of anesthesia and often are resistant to local pain blockers like Novocaine*. Researchers believe redhead are more sensitive to pain because of a mutation in a gene that affects hair colour.

I'm a redhead and I'm pretty damn resistant to Novacaine. I've never had a dentist appointment where they didn't have to give me an extra shot or two.. or three of novacaine before I'm properly numbed for dental work. So every filling I've ever had they start working and then all of a sudden, HEY I CAN FEEL THAT JUST FINE STOPPPPPPPPPPPP. My anxiety is through the fucking roof the entire time because I expect to feel it so I'm just waiting for the moment where they hit a nerve and I start crying.

So anyway... this "gentle dentist" place is basically just a normal dentist office, but instead of the random docs I've had in the past, I know for sure they're going to be thinking about this stuff and are understanding of my anxiety/fear/pain issues. My first appointment I explained all of the above to them and the couple times I've been back for fillings and stuff they were more careful with the numbing process, went out of their way to make sure I was properly numbed up before starting the serious shit, and stop to ask me if I'm ok when I do something weird (even with ativan and laughing gas the anxiety is still there... its better.. but still there, I white knuckle the sides of the chair for the entire appointment, I started crying multiple times during the first appointment for the chipped tooth, and this was by far the best experience I've had w/ a dentist in my adult life.)

tl;dr - yes, they exist, its not as fancy as it might sound, its mainly just a focus on bedside manner that dentists I've seen in the past lack, understanding my fear/pain/issues with being there and taking that into account. With the level of anxiety I feel with dental work, this is a godsend.

Last edited by Radii : 10-03-2012 at 02:04 PM.