Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-27-2003, 02:05 PM   #51
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by wbonnell
And like I said, in my "world" suits negatively impact your chances of landing a job...

I doubt that anyone has ever been passed up for wearing a suit, specifically for a more poorly dressed candidate. Do you think that when comparing candidates, the people making the decision get together and say, "this guy is out, he dresses well, we need more slobs?" At worst, it may not help, but it is so unlikely that dressing well hurts one's chances, its not worth even considering as a possibility.

Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 02:32 PM   #52
wbonnell
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
I doubt that anyone has ever been passed up for wearing a suit, specifically for a more poorly dressed candidate. Do you think that when comparing candidates, the people making the decision get together and say, "this guy is out, he dresses well, we need more slobs?" At worst, it may not help, but it is so unlikely that dressing well hurts one's chances, its not worth even considering as a possibility.

This debate is really well past its usefulness, but you're right- I doubt it makes a direct impact. However, I know my colleagues and I feel uncomfortable with a candidate in a suit. Maybe elitist on our part, but it's the honest truth.
wbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 02:35 PM   #53
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari

Not in so many words, but yes - someone that dresses up for an interview here risks being perceived as too stiff, someone that might not fit in with the culture here. It's certainly not an automatic thing, but taken in conjunction with other factors, yes it might lower his prospects.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 03:46 PM   #54
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Well, I went the tie route. Seemed appropriate, everyone in the company wears a uniform (white jacket) with navy blue pants. Some had t-shirt, some had golf shirts.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 03:55 PM   #55
Philliesfan980
Banned

Cool Balldog..

I guess the rule is this: Wear a suit unless you're told otherwise not to? Also assume that 90% of jobs out there want you to wear a suit to a job? Does that sound right? I'm glad that we've had this discussion, as its important in landing a job.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 04:00 PM   #56
Balldog
Pro Rookie

If I could have afforded it I would have gotten a suit, I definately think it wouldn't hurt.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:59 PM   #57
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmidty
You are a perfect example of what's wrong with the business world: Condescending and materialistic. You assumed many things about me as well, so I have no problem with that statement about you.

If a person is clean, qualified, and friendly, it shouldn't matter if they're wearing a monkey suit with shiny shoes. A suit is a cultural clown outfit. People wear them because someone decided many years ago that they were an acceptable form of attire. They're so conformist, that they might as well have a giant bar code printed on the back.

No one questions anything anymore. Creativity is discouraged. Uniqueness is frowned upon. Appearance is everything. Just look at modern pop music, movies, etc. It's not about content, it's about the container. We react to the stimulus that we're told to. That includes you when you're interviewing.

I'm going to stop this now, because I really don' think you get it. Some people are just meant to be drones, I suppose. Unfortunately, we have far too many "Human Doings" these days, as opposed to "Human Beings".

Time to go watch "They Live" again.

Schmidty, I assumed nothing about you. The "you" used above is plural, not singular. Remember, I - You - He, She, It - We - You - They. Grammar school stuff. Sorry if you took offense.

Now, let's look at the above.

1. Most candidates are "clean, qualified and friendly". Under-dressing is just a way to eliminate yourself unless you specifically know the culture is uncomfortable with it. If you're a spectatular candidate, you could shine without it. Assuming you will, however, is a sign of arrogance as you don't know any of the other candidates being interviewed. Wearing a "monkey suit", as you put it, can simply be a sign of respect and maturity when interviewing for many jobs.

As I said, I don't have 4 hours to spend with each candidate. I have an hour to narrow down the field. I'm not looking for the best candidates, I'm weeding out the ones with obvious issues. Dress and presentability can be one of those issues. Then I can spend more time with the remaining few and see who shines. During the normal interview process, usually the first 1 or 2 interviews are eliminations.

As you get up in the ranks, you don't have as many eliminations. But if you're interviewing for a starter or starting management position, you damn well better figure you're competiting with many other people. You have to get remembered for all the right reasons.

2. Conformity, in the business world, is not always a bad thing. Non-conformity can be a sign of someone with poor personal skills or an attitude problem. Getting along with your co-workers is a MAJOR part in any job. The higher you go in a company, the more important it becomes. There is such a thing as a "corporate culture" - until you're (plural again!) the big boss, it's not for you (plural) to decide what that is.

Your (singular, now) above post really shows your lack of maturity. Idealism is good, but it doesn't pay the bills or feed your kids. If you want to change the game, you have to get on the team first, then become a starter, then become a star, then become the coach. THEN you can change the rules of the game. If you're unwilling to do so, then you don't get to play. It's really that simple. So if you're not the coach yet, you have to play by his rules - or find a new place to play.

Repeat after me: The world is cold and uncaring. It does not owe me a living. I can make it different, but I have to be a part of it first.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:46 PM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Blackadar -- you & I don't always agree on some of these "societal" things, but I thing you're pretty much dead on target here.

You won't find too many people more critical of the whole "dress for success" philosophy than me, hell that's one of the things I enjoy most about owning my own business -- outside the view of client's at least, I can wear what I damn well want to.

But while I criticize the whole "another empty suit" situation on my own time, I also recognize that it's part of reality in the large majority of corporate/business situations.

Their ballpark, their rules. I'd suggest that anybody who doesn't care to play by the rules of a particular game, they find a different game to play.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:55 PM   #59
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
Blackadar -- you & I don't always agree on some of these "societal" things, but I thing you're pretty much dead on target here.

You won't find too many people more critical of the whole "dress for success" philosophy than me, hell that's one of the things I enjoy most about owning my own business -- outside the view of client's at least, I can wear what I damn well want to.

But while I criticize the whole "another empty suit" situation on my own time, I also recognize that it's part of reality in the large majority of corporate/business situations.

Their ballpark, their rules. I'd suggest that anybody who doesn't care to play by the rules of a particular game, they find a different game to play.

Agree with you 100% on this Jon, although we didn't see eye to eye on the service issue with the newspaper issue a few weeks ago.

Another way to look at this situation is like this: Sure, you can go to college and focus in poetry and music, its your choice. But when you try and find a job, don't be surprised if you don't get one in a primarily business run world. Or you could go to college, major in some other conforming, not the most fun in the world, major and deal with what society offers you. Me, I prefer to put a roof over my head, and enjoy my free time without worring about making ends meet.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote