Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-22-2003, 11:07 AM   #1
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Talking "28 Days Later" Just came out on DVD Yesterday

I would just like to state,"This is one of the Best Zombie Type Horror films to date" It reminds me a lot of "Dawn of the Dead" a great movie in it's time.... It's so good I'm probably going to watch it again when I get off work. I would recommend this movie to anybody interested in Horror flicks because it's a great one.

A-Husker-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 11:21 AM   #2
JeeberD
General Manager

Definitely something I need to rent...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 11:26 AM   #3
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'd like to echo what Husker said, this movie is pretty cool. My buddy works at Blockbuster so he always gets movies two weeks before they are officially released and so he brought this one home and it's pretty good. I've lost a lot of sleep since he gets free rentals. I'm in heaven.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:32 AM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

As zombie movies go "28 Days Later" is definitely up there with the Romero trilogy (Night, Dawn, and Day of the Living Dead). It is interesting that it sort of combines the three stages or Romero's movies into one. Very good movie.

Also to note, there is a remake of "Dawn of the Living Dead" due out in March 2004. Ving Rhames, Sarah Poley, and a handful of others will be in the mall this time. Not sure about the remake. The zombies seem to run and jump and what not. In "28 Days Later" I could forgive the kinetic zombies because they were "rage zombies" as opposed to living dead. I like my zombies slow, shuffling, and moaning. They should not move faster than a shuffle, their feet should never leave the ground (unless hit in the chest with a shotgun slug from close range) or any such nonsense. Also from the trailer, it appears as if the remake does not include the opening tenement scene. I think that is one of the best, most riveting scenes in the movie and really hits home the racism theme (started in the first) quite well. Losing it would be a tragedy. I fear the remake, as one should fear almost any remake, I imagine.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 11:58 AM   #5
John Galt
Pro Starter

I pre-ordered it and it arrived the other day. I haven't had a chance to watch it again, but I'm hoping to find some time this weekend. It was a great movie and reminded me what a great horror movie could be - tense (without cheap gimmicks) and ripe with interesting political subtext. And the music was fantastic. I can't wait to watch it again.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:21 PM   #6
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

hmmm... I guess I'm in the minority. I thought it was just okay. I was hoping for more horror, less action and I thought it turned very boring and predictable about halfway through the movie.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:23 PM   #7
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Ok, I'm a puss, I hate horror flicks
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:01 PM   #8
mh2365
H.S. Freshman Team

As far as Zombie movies go, I didn't see anything wrong with Resident Evil. I have 28 days later and plan to watch it tonight.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:08 PM   #9
Bosco
H.S. Freshman Team

I really liked this movie and there is a lot more to it than just a zombie movie.
Bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:12 PM   #10
MikeVic
Head Coach

From all the positive reviews and commercials, it didn't live up to the expectations.. Like Cam said, halfway through the movie the whole POINT changes.. don't wanna spoil anything, but it was just dumb from the halfway point and on... especially the main character... I don't wanna spoil anything, and most of these arguments are in a thread that was made about this movie sometime ago...

Overall, I was disappointed. It was different... but still not good.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 04:46 PM   #11
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
Also to note, there is a remake of "Dawn of the Living Dead" due out in March 2004.

Oh crap, no..... Hopefully they will not the murder it too much....I loved the original especially in the begining of the movie, where Swat teams are shooting up all of the Zombies in a Raid of a Apartment Building. I really hope they don't mess with this part too much....

Thanks for the Heads up Honolulu_Blue....
Old 10-22-2003, 05:59 PM   #12
Yossarian
High School Varsity

Man alive!

This was one of the worst films I saw that year!

It starts of very strong - keeps the tension going, good cinematics... I was really starting to get into the idea of a re-invention of the zombie genre...

Then it all goes tits up... for no good reason the whole style of movie changes and it gets daft - beyond - belief. Nuts. poor poor poor poor second half. Really, it was cringeworthy after the first half.

Again without giving away too much (but a minor spoiler here) what the fuck was the soldier stuff all about? pish pish pish.

natch
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 06:06 PM   #13
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Yossarian
Man alive!

It starts of very strong - keeps the tension going, good cinematics... I was really starting to get into the idea of a re-invention of the zombie genre...

Then it all goes tits up... for no good reason the whole style of movie changes and it gets daft - beyond - belief. Nuts. poor poor poor poor second half. Really, it was cringeworthy after the first half.

Again without giving away too much (but a minor spoiler here) what the fuck was the soldier stuff all about? pish pish pish.

natch

Aha! My thoughts exactlly. And everyone that I saw it with thought the same thing too.

*SPOILER AHEAD*

When the main character goes all nuts... I mean.. how the hell can he take out so many Army people by himself, when he was a courier driver before this thing happened?? And that part with him in the trapdoor wall? Since when was that there, and HOW did he find out about it? Ungh... if the second half was the whole movie, it would be one of the worst I've seen in awhile.. but the beginning saves it from being "bad."

*SPOILER OVER!*

Don't read the middle if you didn't watch the movie yet.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:28 PM   #14
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Yossarian
Man alive!

natch

I saw it 3 weeks ago, exactly same thoughts, promissing start but they lost the focus on the movie after the first 30 minutes to make it rambo style. Expected a lot more from it.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 07:07 PM   #15
Pyser
Pro Rookie

did anyone else notice that resident evil is the PERFECT prequel to 28 days later? its virtually seamless (if, of course, you change milla jovovich into that guy from 28 days later).
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 07:31 PM   #16
Super Ugly
High School JV

Haven't been able to catch all of it but I liked what I saw. Didn'y anybody else get a little turned off by the blatant advertising, though? I mean, a lot of films carry product placement, but this movie reminded of that scene in Wayne's World, only without trying to be funny.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 07:44 PM   #17
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I thought the movie sucked. The ending made little sense, and from about the midway point on it just was really crappy

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 08:15 PM   #18
MikeVic
Head Coach

It seems like there are at least an equal number of people here that hated it (or maybe not hate, but just didn't like it), if not more... and everyone I saw it with didn't like it...

so why did it get so many positive reviews? That's all I kept on reading when looking for stuff on it.. how scary and creepy it was, how original, etc... saw maybe one review that said it wasn't good... why was it so critically acclaimed, when the movie really wasn't that good?
Old 10-22-2003, 08:58 PM   #19
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I think it succeeded as a movie telling a story, but not as a movie advertising itself as a "horror" movie. That being said, it did not advertise itself as a "horror" movie, so it wasn't that bad. I agree that the first half was excellent, while the second half was very predictable.

By the way, have y'all seen those Resident Evil 2 trailers? Hilarious.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 09:13 PM   #20
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Raiders Army
I think it succeeded as a movie telling a story, but not as a movie advertising itself as a "horror" movie. That being said, it did not advertise itself as a "horror" movie, so it wasn't that bad. I agree that the first half was excellent, while the second half was very predictable.

By the way, have y'all seen those Resident Evil 2 trailers? Hilarious.

Umm.. but the commercials here at least had people coming out of the movie saying "that was the scariest movie I've ever seen!" And it even had a camera in the theater recodring people's reactions, and everyone was screaming... that didn't happen in the theater I went to.

So with these commercials, I think it was advertising itself as being a horror -- scary.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:21 PM   #21
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Okay. According to Amazon.com it is a horror movie...I changed my mind: that movie sucks.

FYI, Amazon.com also bills Identity (which in the past month came out on DVD) as a horror movie...

...I think both fall into the "Thriller" category (and not that Michael Jackson crap either)
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 07:05 AM   #22
mh2365
H.S. Freshman Team

I thought it was an excellent movie but it wasn't very scary at all. I agree the soldier stuff was a little hokey, but overall I liked it. I still say Resident Evil is the best Zombie flick in the last few years.

Also we saw Wrong Turn a few days ago and I thought that was scarier than 28days ... not as good but scarier
Old 10-23-2003, 07:51 AM   #23
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Bosco
I really liked this movie and there is a lot more to it than just a zombie movie.

More than just a zombie movie? Yes, it most certainly was. But then again, so are the Romero zombie flicks. They are much more than "just zombie movies". Plenty of political and social commentary in all three movies: McCarthyism, racism, consumerism, etc., are all there and more. It's worth watching all three movies, good stuff.

I never saw Resident Evil, though I'd like to. The trailer for the new movie is class, just watched it last night on the internet. Good stuff.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:52 AM   #24
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by A-Husker-4-Life
Oh crap, no..... Hopefully they will not the murder it too much....I loved the original especially in the begining of the movie, where Swat teams are shooting up all of the Zombies in a Raid of a Apartment Building. I really hope they don't mess with this part too much....

Thanks for the Heads up Honolulu_Blue....

WSU, from what I could tell from the trailer (it's online), the raid of the apartment building does not appear to be in the movie. I am not 100% sure of this, but that's what it sort of looked like. If that were the case... Bad news indeed.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:59 AM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by CamEdwards
hmmm... I guess I'm in the minority. I thought it was just okay. I was hoping for more horror, less action and I thought it turned very boring and predictable about halfway through the movie.

I can certainly have some sympathy for unsettled expectation ruining a movie. I recall seeing "The Fifth Element" for the first time and absolutely hating it. I was expecting more "Blade Runner" than, well, whatever the hell I got. I was ticked off and really didn't like all the goofy nonsense that went on in the film. I have since seen "The Fifth Element" quite a few times on cable and such and have actually grown to like it quite a bit.

Dunno if that would happen with "28 Days Later" or not.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:45 AM   #26
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
WSU, from what I could tell from the trailer (it's online), the raid of the apartment building does not appear to be in the movie.

No, it can't be true.... Where did you find the trailer???? I need to see it for myself....
Old 10-24-2003, 09:58 AM   #27
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by A-Husker-4-Life
No, it can't be true.... Where did you find the trailer???? I need to see it for myself....

The source for all great trailers:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/

I'd bookmark it and check it frequently. Required quicktime, of course.

Enjoy.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:13 AM   #28
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

http://www.allthingszombie.com/movies/dawnofthedead.php

Here is some more info.... Sad news, its only borrowing things from the old movie....Like it is now in Wisconsin instead of Penn and none of the beginning scenes are in the remake, but I did notice something... Tom Savini is doing a cameo in the new movie, remember he was the special effects guy for the 1st three movies.... Also, he had a cameo in the 1st Dawn, he was the Leader of the Bike gang that invaded the mall..

Thanks for all the info Honolulu_Blue, I'm starting to think this movie might suck after watching the trailer... Too much of the Shopping mall scene...