Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-22-2003, 01:53 PM   #1
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Breaking news Corey Dillon wants out. Boo freakin hoo.

The reports on Cincy radio are that Dillon is whining about wanting out again. He reportedly mentioned it to the reporter from the Dayton Daily News.

The timing sucks as the team is actually starting to turn things around, but they've been doing it with him injured, mostly to the hell with him.

He shouldn't have signed a long term contract to begin with. I hope his poor little hammy heals OK considering he'll now have to deal with the splinters as well after Marvin sticks his sorry ass on the bench. I'll be pissed if he gets released during the season. Make the SOB rot.

Any way, in Marvin we trust! Beat the Seahawks! Who Dey!!!!

scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:56 PM   #2
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Speculation from a Bengals board:

Lap said Dillon called the meeting right after the morning meetings. Sounds like Dillon was upset about something in the meeting due to the timing.

I wonder if he got scolded for not following his blockers which, as I recall, is something that was an issue last year.

Remember the time he screamed at Jim Anderson on the sideline? Word at the time was Anderson said something to him about not follwing the blocks and Dillon went off on him.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:57 PM   #3
TroyF
Coordinator

What are the odds that he now goes off for about 175 this week?

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:02 PM   #4
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Not much, knowing how Marvin Lewis works, if this is true, he won't see the field this week.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:38 PM   #5
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Just the kind of crap that will turn off anybody peeking over the fence at the Bengals. Including myself.
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 02:44 PM   #6
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Why? If you got any enjoyment out of this team this year, why let Corey ruin that? For once, this is nothing caused by Mike Brown or the organization. Dillon has thrown fits since he got here. Why let this ruin it for you? Next year, he won't be here.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:48 PM   #7
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

He will be here next season. I don't have the specifics of his deal, but did he not just re-up with us? That doesn't happen without some big bonus $$ being thrown about, especially for a Pro-Bowler at a skill position.

We can't cut him. We can't trade him. The cap hits would be, and again I don't have the numbers, too much to bear.

We can sit him, but he's still our best running back. If it was college, you sit him. If it was Warrick, you'd put Washington in his place. If it's Dillon, and he's healthy, you can't really keep him on the bench. There's only 53 players, and he's one of the top 5 we have.

Besides, I don't know how I would react to actually "enjoying" the Bengals. I honestly have sort of honed this attitude of antagonistic affinity for them. How I'd adapt to them being decent, I just don't know.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:59 PM   #8
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Right now, he's not the best RB. He hasn't been healthy. When healthy he is, but you have to wonder how he would run if put in there now after what's blowing up today.

ML has shown he will let guys sit or walk. Mike Brown would have tagged Spikes but Lewis didn't want him if he wouldn't buy in.

As for CD's contract, it's a few years old now. There would still be a cap hit but I believe if they cut or trade him after this year, it won't be too bad. In fact, when figuring salary, it may be a savings.

ML is proving this is his team. I think he will sit Dillon. I would. He can't let the inmates running the asylum mentality creep back in.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:17 PM   #9
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

5yr, $26 million deal, signed in 2001, expires in 2005. You're right, it does expire shortly.

Too bad he waited until the season to start to turn malcontent. I bet we could have peddled him off on Detroit or Dallas before the season started. That would've caused a -serious- PR rift though. Still, hate to just release talent.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:18 PM   #10
scooper
College Benchwarmer

A week ago, he could have been traded.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:29 PM   #11
The_herd
College Starter

I think the Bengals have always been cautious to call Dillon on his behavior because, like everyone else, he seemed to be one of the few players on the team that gave them a chance to win. However, Lewis has shown he's not as important to the team as he and the team had originally thought.

I think Lewis will call him on this, and he should. The best way to get to Dillon is to take away playing time and money. He needs to be benched and fined every time he speaks out against the organization and the coaching staff.

He signed a 5 year contract worth $26 million before the 2001 season with a signing bonus around $10 mil. After this season it wouldn't be too large of a cap hit to rule out releasing him.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:49 PM   #12
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

If I am not mistaken isn't part of his complaining that Cinci's field caused his injury and they really aren't doing anything to fix it? As much as I get sick of his bitching (and don't even get me started on Carl Pickens) I would have to agree with him on this one. The playing surface is crap and they are putting player's careers in danger by pretending nothing is wrong with it.

Now his latest rant could be something entirely different and I will stand corrected.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 04:04 PM   #13
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

"As he walked into the locker room on Wednesday, Dillon said aloud, "I want out. Trade me to Dallas."

Great timing, flapjack. That plane left a week ago.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote