Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-22-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Ryan Leaf

Did anyone else see him during the Las Vegas Bowl last night? He's been given the golf coaching job at West Texas A&M so he can stay on as an unpaid QB coach.

What impressed me is that he finally seemed to have his head on straight. They asked him about his NFL days and he said he wasn't going to let those years define him. He said he was in a good place at West Texas and wanted to move on with his coaching career.

I hope the guy has found his place in life. For the first time I actually find myself rooting for his success.

JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

"Okay, so this is the gesture you give to the fans when they boo you..."
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
Lorena
Unregistered

Upaid coach? Wow! I remember him on the Dan Patrick Show a while back and he didn't sound like the Ryan Leaf and remembered and hated..
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:43 PM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Im tired of feeling obligated to root for for whiny fucking brats who come to realize they were an asshole all along. There are plenty of good people out there who weren't acting like assholes for long period of time that id rather root for.

I hope Ryan Leaf gets whatever he deserves, no more no less.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:10 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think it's good for the kids there to learn from a guy they'd otherwise not be able to. So, they benefit...why not.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Peyton Manning > Ryan Leaf
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:39 PM   #7
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Peyton Manning > Ryan Leaf

0 SB Rings == 0 SB Rings

Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #8
IMetLyleAlzado
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
0 SB Rings == 0 SB Rings

Hall of Fame > Who was the other QB taken...
IMetLyleAlzado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:45 PM   #9
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Ryan Leaf < Todd Marinovich
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #10
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetLyleAlzado View Post
Hall of Fame > Who was the other QB taken...

I guess if the defining mark of success is a superbowl ring then everybody out there would rather have Doug williams and Trent Dilfer than Manning or Marino or Fouts. Funny, its always the QB that wins the ring or doesnt, but when the Ravens won it was the defense that won it for them, not Dilfer.

Last edited by Noble_Platypus : 12-22-2006 at 08:46 PM.
Noble_Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:49 PM   #11
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Seriously, I don't measure a HOF career by the number of SB ring because football is so much a team sport. It was ridiculous to knock Marino, Elway (before he got his two late) and Manning in thinking they were/are something that much less because of the lack of rings.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #12
JeffW
High School Varsity

There is a documentary film coming out about Ryan Leaf.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:54 PM   #13
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Quote:
Seriously, I don't measure a HOF career by the number of SB ring because football is so much a team sport. It was ridiculous to knock Marino, Elway (before he got his two late) and Manning in thinking they were/are something that much less because of the lack of rings.

Agreed. Its not an arm wrestling contest. If Tom Brady alone wins the Pats SB rings why didnt he win last year? If the QB has a bad game, he could be blamed for a loss, but dropped balls, piss poor pass blocking and a run defense that gives up a gazillion yards a game cant be blamed on the QB.

Also, I think its funny how Elway was a good QB with a 0-3 SB record and then when TD gets in the backfields with him and they win 2 its all because of Elway and he is the greatest all time.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:58 PM   #14
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble_Platypus View Post
Agreed. Its not an arm wrestling contest. If Tom Brady alone wins the Pats SB rings why didnt he win last year? If the QB has a bad game, he could be blamed for a loss, but dropped balls, piss poor pass blocking and a run defense that gives up a gazillion yards a game cant be blamed on the QB.

Also, I think its funny how Elway was a good QB with a 0-3 SB record and then when TD gets in the backfields with him and they win 2 its all because of Elway and he is the greatest all time.

...and Shanahan becomes the Mastermind.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:08 PM   #15
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Quote:
...and Shanahan becomes the Mastermind.

That too.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #16
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

ESPN - West Texas A&M quarterbacks coach Ryan Leaf takes leave of absence

Leaf placed on leave from position as QB coach at West Texas A&M

By Joe Schad
ESPN.com
(Archive)

West Texas A&M quarterbacks coach Ryan Leaf, the former San Diego Chargers quarterback, has been placed on indefinite leave at his request to deal with a personal issue, athletic director Michael McBroom said Wednesday.

Ryan Leaf is in his third season as quarterbacks coach at Division II West Texas A&M.

A person briefed on the situation said that Leaf acknowledged he had asked a player for a pill to help him deal with pain in his wrist dating to his NFL playing days.

McBroom said he met with Leaf on Sunday to "go through some options, and we agreed that a leave is the best option."

McBroom said he could not comment on the allegation until all inquiries had been completed, and he could not say if or when Leaf would return.

Leaf, in his third season at West Texas A&M, was the second overall pick in the 1998 draft and retired in 2002.

Leaf also is the men's golf coach at the school.

West Texas A&M, a Division II school, is 9-1 and has one game, versus Tarleton State, left on its regular-season schedule. Senior quarterback Keith Null has completed 67.7 percent of his passes for 3,812 yards with 36 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.

"Ryan doesn't want this to be a distraction from the team," McBroom said. "He and I agreed this is the best course of action until we figure everything out."

Leaf, a Heisman Trophy finalist at Washington State, was taken second in the 1998 draft behind only Peyton Manning. He retired after four dismal seasons, best known for his profane off-field outbursts toward fans, coaches and reporters. He finished his career with 14 touchdowns and 36 interceptions.

Joe Schad covers college football for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #17
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Poor bastard.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #18
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Crazy.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #19
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Ryan Leaf has done stupid things in the past, but I'd chalk asking for a painkiller as more of a meh type thing.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #20
RendeR
Coordinator

Like most people involved with a team don't bum a painkiller or ten from the players when they want /need one, this is a total non issue. Its about as bad as me asking for an excedrin for my migraines from my coworkers.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #21
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Ryan Leaf has done stupid things in the past, but I'd chalk asking for a painkiller as more of a meh type thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Like most people involved with a team don't bum a painkiller or ten from the players when they want /need one, this is a total non issue. Its about as bad as me asking for an excedrin for my migraines from my coworkers.

Exactly, he gets so much extra scrutiny because he is Ryan Leaf. It's not like he was buying them in bulk from the players...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #22
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Assuming these are prescription painkillers, it is slightly worse than asking for an Excedrin. Coaches should be setting a better example. With the addictive nature of these drugs, you don't want to be too flippant about passing these around. Hopefully Ryan will get some help if he does have an addiction, or a prescription for his own pills if he doesn't.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:44 AM   #23
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

As a university employee he can't do that. In the grand scheme it's not that big of a deal, but professors/coaches just can't ask for controlled substances from students.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #24
SFL Cat
College Starter

Why not go to the team doctor and ask?
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #25
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Why not go to the team doctor and ask?

Team doctor isn't allowed to work on coaches/staff. He reports to them but only has clearance to work on the players.

Unless something major changed in the last 20 years....
Old 11-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #26
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Assuming these are prescription painkillers, it is slightly worse than asking for an Excedrin. Coaches should be setting a better example. With the addictive nature of these drugs, you don't want to be too flippant about passing these around. Hopefully Ryan will get some help if he does have an addiction, or a prescription for his own pills if he doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
As a university employee he can't do that. In the grand scheme it's not that big of a deal, but professors/coaches just can't ask for controlled substances from students.

I understand and agree with you both in principle, but unless, as you say there is an addiction issue going on there really isn't a story here. Now, since there IS a story here and he's been put on leave I'm betting he's fallen off the wagon so to speak and is having trouble managing his pain meds.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #27
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I understand and agree with you both in principle, but unless, as you say there is an addiction issue going on there really isn't a story here. Now, since there IS a story here and he's been put on leave I'm betting he's fallen off the wagon so to speak and is having trouble managing his pain meds.

If there is no addiction component, I'd expect this to be handled by someone telling Leaf not to set this kind of example for the kids. It probably wouldn't be worth reporting.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #28
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure if I was caught asking for a controlled substance, prescription or not, from a student I would be in grave danger of losing my job.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #29
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Leaf has resigned the position. No word yet on how this will impact the criminal investigation.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #30
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

He has become the John Rocker/John Daly of football. Nothing goes right.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #31
Galaxy
Coordinator

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...findicted.html
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #32
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Good riddance to that loser. Was always an arrogant asshole who thought the world owed him something.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:09 AM   #33
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

My favorite Ryan Leaf memory:

1 for 15 (6.7%) for 4 yards, 2 interceptions, 2 sacks, 4 fumbles, 3 fumbles lost, 0.0 rating

He had only 2 games in hies career with a rating of 80 or better (one was a game he came in as an injury substiture and threw just 8 passes and the other was one where his receivers broke open a few big gains for touchdowns and he was under 50% completion that game and fumbled the ball 3 times which doesn't affect rating).

It's amazing just how much of an asshole he is for someone who sucked so badly. Not that being a good player would be a legitimate reason to be an asshole but then a primadona attitude could at least be understood to an extent.

This guy makes Jeff "I'll take the sack so it doesn't hurt my rating" George look like Peyton Manning.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #34
lungs
Pro Rookie

Hopefully he is getting the treatment he obviously needs.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #35
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Wow..just reading the story comments, it sounds like pretty much everyone hates him.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #36
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Wow..just reading the story comments, it sounds like pretty much everyone hates him.

You're FOFC's Ryan Leaf, asshole.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #37
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
You're FOFC's Ryan Leaf, asshole.

What's the emoticon for "Sad, but kind of horny in a pathetically lonely way"?
Old 05-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #38
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote