Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2003, 12:11 AM   #101
mckerney
Coordinator

Here's an article about Green from the St. Paul Pioneer Press:

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...re/5203021.htm

BOB SANSEVERE: Race not reason NFL teams have avoided Green

The Rev. Jesse Jackson was saying on a national radio show the other day how unfair it is that Dennis Green hasn't been hired to coach an NFL team. The reverend also brought race into the equation, not surprising seeing as how Jackson is part of a group pushing for more blacks to be hired as NFL head coaches or, at the very least, be given serious consideration.

Green wasn't seriously considered for any of the five coaching jobs available.

Presumably, it had nothing to do with race.

And chances are it didn't have to do with coaching ability, either. Dennis Green can coach, as shown by his 101-70 record with the Vikings. He wasn't all that swell a coach in big games, but that probably didn't prevent him from being hired, either.

His desire to run the show, the entire show, may be what hurt Green. That and perhaps the final chapter of the autobiography he wrote several years ago.

Any NFL owner who read or even heard about the final chapter of "No Room for Crybabies" would have to have a crack in his cranium to want to hire Green.

The book came out in October 1997, several months before Red McCombs purchased the franchise. Basically, Green threatened to blackmail what, at the time, was a partnership of 10 people who owned the Vikings.

In Chapter 19, entitled "If It Lasts Until Tomorrow," Green laid out a scheme to coerce the owners into selling him enough shares of the team to make him the principal owner.

He even detailed his scheme in a letter he threatened to distribute to owners at a board of directors meeting in November of that year. The letter was never given to the owners but it did appear in the book. It said, "I am purchasing the 9 percent shares of the two individuals sitting in this room who contacted Lou Holtz, the former Notre Dame coach, without authority last year and deliberately interfered with my ability to coach the team."

Green also wrote that the two owners, whom he didn't identify, "may have damaged my future career opportunities. In other words, I AM BUYING OR SUING."

Also included in that final chapter was the draft of a lawsuit Green threatened to file against the ownership group, charging they "adversely affected the leadership relationship between plaintiff, as head coach, and his staff and players, rendering it difficult for plaintiff to motivate the players to play up to their competitive level of ability and skill and advance in the playoffs and to the Super Bowl.''

There was more, but you get the gist. As would any NFL owner.

It's one thing to be an assertive, take-charge coach. Owners tend to like that. It's quite another to be a coach who wants to overthrow you and take over your team. Owners tend to frown on that.

With so many other options available — recycled head coaches, highly regarded assistants, college coaches — NFL owners don't need to bring in a coach with a history of threatening blackmail and concocting lawsuits in his spare time.

The meltdown in Green's relationship with McCombs was, in part, over Green's refusal to do what his boss told him — namely, get rid of his good buddy, defensive backfield coach Richard Solomon*. Owners also tend to like employees to do what they're told.

Green's refusal to follow a directive shouldn't have surprised McCombs, not if he read Chapter 19 of "No Room for Crybabies."

Green lobbied for the San Francisco 49ers' coaching job that went last week to Dennis Erickson. Green wasn't seriously considered.

Chapter 19. That could be why.

And if the Rev. Jesse Jackson continues to wonder why Denny Green hasn't been hired by an NFL team, somebody should tell him.

Chapter 19. That could be why.

And if Denny Green never coaches again …

Chapter 19.

That could be why.

*If he does hire Solomon, watch out. Solomon is the guy who had more to do with the poor secondary Minny had for years.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 12:20 AM   #102
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I can see all that, but somethings could be headed off at the pass. The reason he looks good for Atlanta is the fact his former agent is now working in the front office. He'll probably at least get a look. The question will be how he gets along with Blank. Blank is hands on, but not over-bearing. He still may clash with Green's headstrong "I know the best way to do everything including your job" approach.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 07:12 AM   #103
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Best quote of the week, if not year:

Randy Moss on the hook and lateral play - "It's a once-in-a-lifetime thing that happens every so often."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 07:51 AM   #104
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

How long till the NFL season is over? ugh.... Its the 80s all over again.. except now the Saints kick our butts too

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:23 AM   #105
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
You may not believe me now, but you will as the year unfolds. They have some terrific WR's. They've been playing great in the defensive backfield. They've lost games more on stupid passes by Kitna than anything else. Defensively, they are a middle of the road team. Offensively, they have one of the better skill position depth in football. Heck, even Kitna has been playing good. . . outside of about 4 throws a game. One or two get picked off, the others miss wide open WR in key third down situations. Their running game will improve as the season progresses.

They'll upset Seattle at home next week and then beat Houston and Arizona the following two weeks. They'll be 5-4 going into the Kansas City game.

TroyF

Troy, you're the man.

Jump on the bandwagon now folks!

Who Dey!!!
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 08:42 AM   #106
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
Troy, you're the man.

Jump on the bandwagon now folks!

Who Dey!!!

It's funny how when I talk up a team (Vikings, Bengals, Titans), I'm the man. When I talk down about a team (Packers, Chiefs), I become an idiot who has no idea what he is talking about.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:04 AM   #107
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Packers? Chiefs? Never heard of them.

Go Bengals!

Troy, you're the man!

Who Dey!!!
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote