Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #501
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
How the fuck did we beat New Orleans?

This is a bigger mystery than anything Tebow related.
Radii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:35 AM   #502
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
This is a bigger mystery than anything Tebow related.

Maybe Tebow was at QB for us that game?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #503
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Brady slid and got hit, but the defender was already diving at him when he started his slide. Sorta like when Trent Green got hit years ago (which did not get flagged), but not even as bad as that hit. It was a total BS flag. (I didn't know they called forearm to the head since I didn't see it live. That wasn't even close to a forearm to the head!)

EDIT: Here it is

To add insult to injury, on the next play, Brady ran again, only this time he made a move around (well, almost around) the defensive back trying to tackle him while not getting penalized for it.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #504
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
This just in: Bill Romanowski still ain't right.

Bill Romanowski Remains A Terrifying Human Being

So apparently he was telling this to the other guy earlier, before they went on the air? And that guy didn't say anything about it? Although he did have his head down at some point, like, "oh crap, he's really doing it" but then chose to go with it instead of trying to change the subject.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #505
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
To add insult to injury, on the next play, Brady ran again, only this time he made a move around (well, almost around) the defensive back trying to tackle him while not getting penalized for it.

My issue on this was not with the defender hitting Brady, it was that he dove low to hit him. If Brady had stayed up that would have been a below-the-waist hit which is illegal. Dude wanted to blow up a QB and got burned.

That said I would have been fine with no flag on the play either. And the whole "forearm to the head" bit was BS, more like them coming up with an excuse after the fact.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #506
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
My issue on this was not with the defender hitting Brady, it was that he dove low to hit him. If Brady had stayed up that would have been a below-the-waist hit which is illegal. Dude wanted to blow up a QB and got burned.

That said I would have been fine with no flag on the play either. And the whole "forearm to the head" bit was BS, more like them coming up with an excuse after the fact.

I haven't seen a replay this morning, but my impression during the game was that he started his dive, saw Brady slide, and tried to adjust awkwardly from there -- I don't think he wanted to blow up a QB. But then again, I had no idea that a below-the-waist hit was illegal, so what do I know?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #507
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I haven't seen a replay this morning, but my impression during the game was that he started his dive, saw Brady slide, and tried to adjust awkwardly from there -- I don't think he wanted to blow up a QB. But then again, I had no idea that a below-the-waist hit was illegal, so what do I know?

A below the waist hit on a QB outside the pocket is not illegal. Well, it might be illegal if it's Tom Brady, but for every other NFL QB it's a perfectly legal hit.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #508
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

London Fletcher? Really?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #509
Butter
Coordinator

Brady started his dive too late and got nailed. The ref threw a "Tom Brady got hit hard" flag, then made up the "forearm to the head" thing when he realized immediately after that it was actually a legal hit, but he would look stupid pulling the flag back.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #510
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Harrison suspended one game. I assume an appeal is following.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #511
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Brady started his dive too late and got nailed. The ref threw a "Tom Brady got hit hard" flag, then made up the "forearm to the head" thing when he realized immediately after that it was actually a legal hit, but he would look stupid pulling the flag back.

FWIW, I do agree with this part. I just have a hard time with defenders who leave their feet (poor tackling technique plus they lose control) then whine when things go wrong. Part of the horrible influence ESPN has had on sports.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #512
Aylmar
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Harrison suspended one game. I assume an appeal is following.

You knew after the NFL went to the trouble of clarifying that "establishing a passing position outside the pocket reinstates the QB's protections from blows to the head" they were going to suspend him. It was just a matter of length at that point.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #513
Grover
Pro Starter

Skip Bayless is leading the cult of Tim Tebow. This guy is so far up Tebow's ass.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:12 AM   #514
JSmith44
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Skip Bayless is leading the cult of Tim Tebow. This guy is so far up Tebow's ass.

He's been on the Tebow bandwagon since the start of this season.
JSmith44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #515
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith44 View Post
He's been on the Tebow bandwagon since the start of this season.

It gets worse with every Tebowmania comeback though.

He and SAS a rather entertaining, borderline annoying.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #516
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmar View Post
You knew after the NFL went to the trouble of clarifying that "establishing a passing position outside the pocket reinstates the QB's protections from blows to the head" they were going to suspend him. It was just a matter of length at that point.

Which goes to show how screwed up the rules are. When in the middle of the field on a running play a hit goes from legal to illegal in half a second, it's a bad rule. When a player gets suspended for that half-second change, it's beyond fucked up. It's not just Harrison. London Fletcher's penalty on Brady the other night was the same kind of thing - it's ruining the sport. Lambert was right - they might as well put the QBs in dresses now.

The only thing I can do is vote with my wallet, so I'm sending back all the NFL gear that I've purchased for the kids for Christmas and replacing it with non-NFL products. I'm a huge football fan, but I'm not supporting this shit.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #517
Izulde
Head Coach

Sparano getting fired was the best news ever last night. I read somewhere though that none of the high profile coaches will come to Miami as long as Ireland is still the GM.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #518
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Which goes to show how screwed up the rules are. When in the middle of the field on a running play a hit goes from legal to illegal in half a second, it's a bad rule. When a player gets suspended for that half-second change, it's beyond fucked up. It's not just Harrison. London Fletcher's penalty on Brady the other night was the same kind of thing - it's ruining the sport. Lambert was right - they might as well put the QBs in dresses now.

I disagree. ESPN going with "Jacked Up", and then guys deciding it was more important to "Jack Up" someone than make a good football play so they could get on ESPN, and then tackling disappearing as an art form has done more to hurt the NFL than guys getting penalized and fined for it.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #519
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post

The only thing I can do is vote with my wallet, so I'm sending back all the NFL gear that I've purchased for the kids for Christmas and replacing it with non-NFL products. I'm a huge football fan, but I'm not supporting this shit.

I won't go that far. But seems like there needs to be a rule that says as soon as the QB crosses the LOS, whistle blows, and offense is granted 5 yards. Or 10 yards. Or whatever predetermined amount is agreed upon.

Sounds silly, but no less silly that a QB is a runner, except he's a QB, a QB who is running like a RB, but happens to wear a number between 1-19.

Quote:
I disagree. ESPN going with "Jacked Up", and then guys deciding it was more important to "Jack Up" someone than make a good football play so they could get on ESPN, and then tackling disappearing as an art form has done more to hurt the NFL than guys getting penalized and fined for it.

I am probably naive, but are there really players who rush to watch ESPN after their game ends to see if they are on? I'd think most players do not watch, same as very few watch MNF after playing their game Sunday.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #520
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Old 12-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #521
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I disagree. ESPN going with "Jacked Up"

I'm not completely sure I know what that means, but I'm guessing it's a segment highlighting big hits or something along those lines. If so, it's not exactly something ESPN came up with.

Obviously the impact of the coverage is different to say the least, but a local TV station has been featuring the "Rib Rocker of the Week" in their high school coverage for almost two decades now. People have enjoyed seeing someone get blown the fuck up for a very long time.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #522
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

There was nothing illegal about that play. It's called a tackle. He can't anticipate that the QB is going to slide as he already started his dive.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #523
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I am probably naive, but are there really players who rush to watch ESPN after their game ends to see if they are on? I'd think most players do not watch, same as very few watch MNF after playing their game Sunday.

You're probably naive (no offense of course). Maybe they don't rush there right away, but I'm sure they get a kick out of getting 10,000 tweets saying something like "OMG that was awesome!!!!!!!!" Why else do touchdown dances/sack celebrations take place? It's all part of bringing attention to yourself and reveling in it. When 95% of these guys drill someone, do they just put their head down and walk back to the huddle or do they run 30 yards downfield away from their teammates?

Last night was a beautiful one...Sherman on Seattle gets a taunting penalty giving STL a fresh goal line 1st down because he happened to have the superhuman strength required to nudge a leaping receiver out of bounds who is concentrating on coming down in bounds.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #524
Grover
Pro Starter

166-of-229 for 2,035 yards ( 8.9 YPA), 20 TDs & 0 INTs

Who owns these fantastic passing numbers? Quarterbacks versus the Minnesota Vikings over the last 8 weeks.

How many yards is Drew Brees going to get this weekend?

Old 12-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #525
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
How many yards is Drew Brees going to get this weekend?

Probably close to 300 at half, then he's pulled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #526
JediKooter
Coordinator

If Mike Ditka was still coaching the Saints, Brees would have 700 passing yard and 7 TDs by half time.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #527
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Probably close to 300 at half, then he's pulled.

I'm not sure, the Vikings may keep Brees off the field with a couple pick sixes from Ponder and maybe a fumble inside their own 20.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #528
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I'm not sure, the Vikings may keep Brees off the field with a couple pick sixes from Ponder and maybe a fumble inside their own 20.

If the Vikings start Joe Webb, this could be the highest scroing game ever. That dude is unstoppable. UNSTOPPABLE.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #529
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
If the Vikings start Joe Webb, this could be the highest scroing game ever. That dude is unstoppable. UNSTOPPABLE.

TEBOW!!!
Quote:
Old 12-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #530
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
TEBOW!!!

Exactly. He is the black TEBOW. You can't spell TEBOW without WEB(B)!

The only thing that can stop him is Leslie Frazier and the dirty Detroit Lions.. First, Frazier let Ponder start, which spotted the Lions a good 21 points. Second, Frazier had Webb go under center for that last play and the only way the Lions stopped him is by facemasking him.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #531
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Browns did not check Colt McCoy for concussion until after game - NFL - SI.com

So apparently the medical staff was busy with other players, did not see the hit, and so trusted Colt McCoy when he came to the sidelines with no symptoms. So they did not even test him for a concussion.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #532
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Browns did not check Colt McCoy for concussion until after game - NFL - SI.com

So apparently the medical staff was busy with other players, did not see the hit, and so trusted Colt McCoy when he came to the sidelines with no symptoms. So they did not even test him for a concussion.

I think my colors are off on my monitor cause those unis look straight up mustard yellow.
Quote: