Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

Should I finally gett a PS 3 (recommendations)

Need some help deciding on if I want to spend the money on a PS 3 partly because the 1k laptop I bought three years ago is struggling to run the Skyrim game and keeps overheating and in fact even CIV 5 and Shougn 2 give it trouble now and then. Anyways, I am a little tired of the buy a machine and a few years later it is obsolete for running the newer games as the graphics keeping getting pushed more and more as opposed to the game paly alot of the games coming out.

So, we do have a wii which is great for the kids but I would like to get a "adult' console like xbox 360 or PS 3 to play games like Skyrim, Madden, NCAA football and some other sports games or some of the FPS. I took a look at both and prefer the PS 3 with the bluray capability and the cheaper onboard storage. I also am totally a solo gamer and would not be using something like xbox live to play online with others.

I guess I like to here from PS 3 owners any opinions on it in general as far a s graphics, controllers, any technical issues like overheating and any other pains in the ass with it. I have heard some say there are alot of updates to the console pretty much every time you log in and they are slow is that true?

I see that Walmart is selling the console with controller and a 50 dollar gift card for $200 during black Friday.

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

That's a hell of a price your quoting and well worth it IMHO.

Graphics are great. I'm also a solo player and played all of the following at one time or another.. The Show, NBA2k, Madden, NCAA, NHL(EA's), Fight Night, for sports and the occasional first person shooter. Madden and NCAA, as far as individual faces and facial movement, aren't on the same level as 2k or the Show but they are still damn good and they all get a bit better with each new version.

Controller is awesome, second best on the market. The 360 controller is just a BIT better for one reason only, the offset thumb-sticks. I certainly wouldn't pick one console over the other based on the controller. I know, your only interested in a ps3 but made this comment to reinforce I just don't see that much difference between the two. They are both great controllers.

Never had mine overheat, it is on a shelf in an open stand.

Only technical issue I had was I would get IP address conflicts with both the ps3 and my wife's laptop being wireless. Simple fix was I set a manual address for the ps3.

There are occasional updates. Maybe 3 or 4 per year, if that. They are a tad slow on my ps3 but fast on my son's. I think it depends on your connection. I believe you can also go to Sony's site and d'load any updates to a memory stick and install from there. I have not done this myself as I haven't found the slightly slow update process that big of a deal.

One other perk, if you have netflix you can stream through the ps3.

Again that price is a great deal.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Updates aren't that many. One every couple of months is the norm. Speed depends on connection. Mine are pretty quick on a 15MB connection. No overheating issues at all, especially with the newer versions.

Controller is the same one that we've had for some time. They do have PS3 controllers that mimic the X360 controller if you just prefer that feel. Graphics are always better with a HDMI connection if you can utilize it, though there's certainly nothing wrong with the HD performance through the RGB connection.

The Show alone is worth the price of admission IMO. BR discs are pretty cheap now and provide good quality. I use Netflix a ton on the console.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-12-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
rowech
Pro Starter

I think the other two are underestimating the frequency of updates. It's once a month I would say. I love the controller but I have small hands. Someone with big hands would probably hate it for the the same reason I hated the 360 controllers. Graphics/sound/etc. are all fantastic. Regular DVDs get upscaled to a much nicer picture. While not pure HD, there's definitely a difference. No overheating at all.

It's a rock solid game system, rock solid bluray, and if you get the move you can have what you have with the wii as well.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
General Mike
Pro Starter

There are firmware updates, and then there are the required updates. Id say the required updates are in the 3-4 range. There is a lot of stuff you can stream thru the PS3 as well (Netflix, Hulu Plus, MLB.TV, NHL Center Ice)
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The updates are a fucking pain in the ass. I suppose I don't use my console much right now, but there was a point where I felt like I was updating every time I turned it on.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Izulde
Head Coach

I have pretty large hands and I actually prefer the PS3 controller.

I actually own both the 360 and the PS3, but I use my PS3 a ton more than my 360 and I like it so much more that for cross-platform games I always buy the PS3 version.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #8
Hoya1
High School JV

I have 3 PS3's throughout my house. 2 of them are strictly for divx movies/netflix/bluray. It's worth it just for the media center capabililty.
Hoya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
Galaril
Pro Starter

Thanks everyone that was easy and helpful. Yeah I guess if I can get one on that deal at Walmart I am good even at $250 with the card it would be worth it.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya1 View Post
I have 3 PS3's throughout my house. 2 of them are strictly for divx movies/netflix/bluray. It's worth it just for the media center capabililty.

LOL......glad to see I'm not the only one that does this. It's really handy to have a couple around the house. I only use one for gaming for the most part. Rest are just for movies/media.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya1 View Post

Having just recently gotten a Sony Google TV bluray player, I can see why. It really changes the way you watch tv for the better.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote