Old 01-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #51
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Is that James Van der beek?

Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #52
Drake
assmaster

James Van der beek is one of my favorite black actors[*].

[*] Ref., Encyclopedia Brittanica, Revised and Updated Edition.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #53
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

It’s been a long time since I read the book, but I think this change would have a pretty profound effect. And I don’t think it’s just semantics to argue that those words are vastly different. Calling Jim a slave is just stating a fact, while calling him a n* is declaring that he is something less than human. It’s important for the language to dehumanize Jim, so it will stand in stark contrast to the story which humanizes him. Without that tension, it’s not much different than a cross country buddy movie.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #54
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I'm putting out a version of huck finn where Jim is replaced by "Jen" and the n-word is replaced with the c-word.

Foreword by Ron Franklin
Old 01-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #55
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
DanGarion...Glenn Beck is on line 1. He'd like to speak to you.

The State of Texas is on line 2 after that...
Old 01-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #56
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
The State of Texas is on line 2 after that...

East of the Rockies...you're on the air with Coast to Coast AM.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #57
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Foreword by Ron Franklin

For the record, because I was curious after making that joke, I downloaded a copy of huck finn from Project Gutenberg and made those replacements.

It is amazing how funny a text can become by replacing just one word.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #58
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

[quote=flounder;2404491 I disagree though that the n-word was used differently at the time. [/quote]

Not to sidebar the whole thread, but I want to make a point here that is in direct relation to the OP's topic at hand.

I can only speak to experiences, but my grandfather is 91 and still refers to every black person as a n***** but there is no hate, or ill will in his heart. I remember my son being shocked around age 7 or so because papaw used the n word. To granpa the N word is synonymous with black or african American. Just like it was in the setting of huck finn in my opinion. I remember my papaw speaking to a widow at the funeral of a black man when I was a kid who had worked for him for 20 years. (He owned a grading and contracting business) He said "he was one fine n***** man and we will sure miss him, with a tear in his eye. I'm positive he isn't the only person in the world with this perspective.

Does it stem from a bad place and bad intentions?
Yes
But there are entire generations that knew it only as the norm and held no ill will, and had no understanding that there were any negative implications or connotations. It is "historically" accurate, even if it isn't politically correct and to change the text is a travesty in my opinion.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #59
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I guess the next change will be Shakespearean English to modern, fucked up, whatever passes as English now.

Goodbye, Hamlet and MacBeth.

The ho bitches too much
Old 01-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #60
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
But there are entire generations that knew it only as the norm and held no ill will, and had no understanding that there were any negative implications or connotations. It is "historically" accurate, even if it isn't politically correct and to change the text is a travesty in my opinion.
I think your example would be an anamolly though. The n-word started being deemed an insult in the late 1800's. The term colored became the mainstream term. There are parts of the country that did use it, but I don't think there would be many people who didn't realize the term had a negative connotation at some point.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #61
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
I disagree though that the n-word was used differently at the time.
It was different though. It likely always had a negative connotation (any term used to describe blacks at that time had a negative connotation), but it wasn't nearly as ugly as it is today. It wasn't deemed an insult, but instead a way of categorizing a group of people.

That's why the change in the book is so odd. Slave would not be the proper word to use, black, colored, or negro would make much more sense.

I'd be curious to hear from some of the teachers on this board. I can see the point that it makes it easier to read aloud. I know I'd feel a bit uncomfortable using that word if I had to read aloud, especially in a classroom with individuals who were black. At the same time, I think it's important that students realize that word was common in that time and not deemed unacceptable.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #62
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think your example would be an anamolly though. The n-word started being deemed an insult in the late 1800's. The term colored became the mainstream term. There are parts of the country that did use it, but I don't think there would be many people who didn't realize the term had a negative connotation at some point.

I understand your point, but I think anamolly is probably a bad classification. Most I know over say 50-60 in the south still use it interchangably with black, afrian american, etc.

Frankly it infuriates me, or at least it used to, but I still hear it daily and often with no denegrtion intended.

Just my experience, then again I live in a town that integrated the local high school in 1979 so they are a bit behind.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I understand your point, but I think anamolly is probably a bad classification. Most I know over say 50-60 in the south still use it interchangably with black, afrian american, etc.

I'd put that age break a little higher I think but yeah, it's ingrained in the vernacular but there's hardly any malice attached to it's use by that generation.