Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-22-2003, 05:25 PM   #1
Jets80
High School Varsity

Madden 2004 Online Advice needed

Just started playing Madden 04 online....and getting my ass kicked around pretty good. I though I was pretty good against the computer and 2 player, but i seems that the online game is a whole new ballgame.

Any Madden vets out there have any advice for a rookie.

What are the best online teams/Players?
Best formations/Plays?
Any special subs online guys do (my last opponent subed all the time)

Turnovers are killing me and I cant get any offense going.

Thanks,
Jets80

Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 06:01 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Here's one tip that I've learned the hard way. Always fair catch if there are defenders around you on a punt. Otherwise, you're going to fumble and it's going to be taken the other way for a TD. Also, it is easy to get your punts blocked, so make sure you have protection if you see them lining up to come.

I won't dispense too much advice, since I am something like 1-4-1 online so far...

You might want to check out MaddenOnline.com. They have a lot of advice.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-22-2003 at 06:03 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:04 PM   #3
Anthony
Banned

i plan on using the Chiefs ALL THE DAMN TIME. their roster has all the tools you need to win, although defensively they are vanilla.

they got Holmes - the underrated #1 RB in the NFL.

they got a pass-catching TE in Tony Gonzalez. won't ever have to worry about your TE dropping easy passes.

Trent Green is a very good QB. not Kurt Warner/Michael Vick spectacular, but very good.

their WR's won't kill you. doesn't matter what team or what WR you use, get any play where you manage to get your guy ahead of the DB and it's a sure thing.

i also have made a no-Falcons rule. if i see a guy pick the Falcons from now on i'll just find someone else to play. this one guy i played with scrambled with Vick on 4 out of every 5 plays. not that you hope people play realistically, but defenses aren't designed to chase a lightening fast QB. he did it so much i just quit the game. you can't tell me it's fun to run backwards and scramble around every play.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:09 PM   #4
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

How do you fair catch on PC?
Old 09-22-2003, 07:24 PM   #5
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

At least the guy used a QB to do it. From what I saw over at the EA boards a lot of people just sub in their fastest player for their QB and do that every down.
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:26 PM   #6
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hell Atlantic: you CAN stop Vick with pass-rush pressure, and QB Spy. I use the Falcons, and it really IS fun to scramble around every play. If you see that the other guy doesn't know how to stop you, it's fun. Of course I don't run 4/5 times, but I do run when the opportunity presents itself, or when no one is open, and I have no other choice but to run.

The thing I've noticed is that Vick will fumble quite a bit, and gets injured fairly often if you even run as much as me.. which is maybe 8 times in a game. So with him running 4/5 times, as long as you hit him some of the times, he'll fumble or get injured...

As for playing online, I haven't done it reently because of quitters (Hell Atlantic, may you burn in hell if you quit a game while it's being played), but the punt block is something I've caught quite a few people on.. other than that, nothing I can really see.. short-passing plays work really well if you see yourself being shutdown.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:26 PM   #7
Travis
Pro Rookie

Want a good qb to use that won't scare people until once you're beating them fairly soundly? Use Seattle, and no, I'm not talking Matt, I'm talking Seneca. He's no good if you're planning on simming games (ala coach mode) because he has a brutally low awareness. He has a strong, accurate arm (both in the mid 80's) and is the 2nd faster QB after Vick with pretty good acceleration, and outruns most DL and LB from the rush.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:31 PM   #8
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Ha, the Falcons are no match for the Eagles. You always need to make sure you are running a QB spy play and there is no where for Vick to run. And with the Eagles' quick secondary there usually isnt anybody to throw it to either.

Anyway Jets, my favorite formation is single back with four receivers. If your opponent doesn't play bump and run or zone an outside hook pattern will be open every damn time. If they do play zone you can throw long for a big play. Just remember coverage is horrible in Madden. I guess instead of fixing the holes in coverage they decided to make it so your receivers drop a dozen passes a game.

Also you can usally get your opponent to play a dime or qaurter formation when using the four receiver set. This also opens up the running game since there is only one linebacker. Make sure you don't jam the speed burst until you hit the line of scrimmage.

Finally you can use some of th packages to put your top receivers in the slots, or stack them on one side. Very useful for creating mismatches since the denfense can't prepare for them in anyway.

I was getting pretty good at Madden. However the more I played it, the more flaws I found that really made the game not fun for me (pick up the fumble, don't just stand there!). And the speed difference between players on the field is terrible. Nearly all interceptions are returned for TDs, because there aren't many offensive players fast enough to catch a DB. QBs are all painfully slow (except for the godly Vick), and fumble way to much which virtually eliminates a scramble. And if your player doesn't have a good catching skill he will NEVER catch a ball no matter how wide open he is. Try throwing to a blocking FB and he will drop the ball even though there isnt a defender withing 15 yards. I mean a child could catch a pass like that. Meh, I'm done with Madden for a while.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote