Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-22-2003, 04:53 PM   #1
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Auto Body Shops Are Insane

Okay. So my car gets tagged awhile back by unknown person at unknown location at unknown time. Annoying physical damage to the rear, nothing major, nothing but ugly.

My folks got me a gift certificate for a detailing for my birthday last year, and I finally get around to using it. While it's there, I have them give me an estimate on the repair.

Now, this is what is wrong with the car. One of the tail light covers needs to be replaced, and there's about an inch long hairline crack in the rear bumper. That's *it*.

Their quote? $900.

Fuck. Them.

Call the dealership, ask for the price of the cover, $167. The bumper I'm fairly certain can be repaired by nothing more than a spot of glue/some sorta composite material, and a swab of touch up paint. Cost? Less than $200. Easily.

Abso-friggen-lutely insane.

Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:58 PM   #2
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

That is pretty much what the cost to repair my front bumper was after someone turned the wrong way on a one-way street in front of me. Luckily I was stopping at the light so the only damage was a small crack a couple inches long. The repair breakdown was something like $350 to order the bumper and then another $600 for paint and labor.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:12 PM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by HeavyReign
That is pretty much what the cost to repair my front bumper was after someone turned the wrong way on a one-way street in front of me. Luckily I was stopping at the light so the only damage was a small crack a couple inches long. The repair breakdown was something like $350 to order the bumper and then another $600 for paint and labor.

No thanks, I don't need the paint and labor, just the bumper

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:21 PM   #4
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I concur.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:33 PM   #5
Swaggs
Coordinator

When I worked as an insurance claims adjuster, I shared your pain on a day to day basis.

Most shops go by a "book" (the one we used was called Mitchell-Maddux) that lists how many hours per repair part and then how many hours of paint and clear coat per repair. I imagine since you live near Chicago, the cost for each, per hour, is around $40 or more. And, if your vehicle is more than a year or two old, they probably estimated to "blend" or do a diluted refinish/clear coat on all adjacent body panels (trunk lid, left and right quarterpanels, I imagine) to the one that was refinished.

Also, if the bumper was plastic and cracked, they may well be obligated to replace it by law, because it is considered "compromised" from a safety standpoint.

Just some thougts...
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:33 PM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

I'm very happy that I don't give a shit what my car looks like. Saves me a ton of money.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:44 PM   #7
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I think they are obligated to replace that bumper. It would make sense.

Have to comply with those safety standards vs those 5mph crashes. Hoo boy.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:03 PM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee Warlord
Have to comply with those safety standards vs those 5mph crashes. Hoo boy.

Well, what if enough damage was done to the bumper that it would now fail to protect you in a 60mph accident?

Would you still not want to replace it?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 06:20 PM   #9
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
Well, what if enough damage was done to the bumper that it would now fail to protect you in a 60mph accident?

Would you still not want to replace it?

Thre is no such thing as "protection" at 60 mph

The strongest bumper rated I believe is only 30 or 35mph and that comes with a statement that it is tested for head on collision only.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 06:24 PM   #10
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

My car is plastic.

If I get hit from behind, sitting still, at 60 mph, I'm gonna get fucked up. Period. No bumper is going to save me.

If I get hit from behind, sitting still, at 30 mph, my car is going to become pint sized. I'll probably be fine, since it's got a quite sizable rear end. The car will be dead.

No crack in the bumper is going to make a bloody bit of difference in the grande scheme of things.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:33 PM   #11
Philliesfan980
Banned

You say it costs $900, but don't you have insurance?

At most, it shouldn't cost more than $500 (normally the max deductable) to get it fixed. A few summers ago, while at the Phillies game, a guy riding a motorcycle hit my PARKED car going pretty fast. Like most motorcyclists, they don't carry insurance for their "Ninja Bike", and I'm out $500.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote