Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-11-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

One of the many faces of 9-11.

On this day, 9 years ago, 11 year old Asia Cottom from Washington, D.C. boarded Flight 77, along wit...h two of her classmates and three of her teachers. She and her classmates had been selected to fly from D.C. to Channel Island in Santa Barbara, to take part in National Geographic’s Sustainable Seas Expedition. The purpose was to study marine life, but there would be plenty of fun as well – kayaking, beach trips, and even the chance to swim with dolphins. This was a unique opportunity, and she was so excited about the trip that she spent time in advance, doing research on her computer. She couldn’t wait to learn, but she also couldn’t wait to get into the water. This was going to be an amazing experience.

35 minutes into the flight, terrorists hijacked the plane, and steered it into the Pentagon, killing all 64 passengers, crew, and another 125 victims in the building.

Asia was just starting Middle School in Washington, D.C. Asia was not typical, by any standards. She loved to read, and loved science, math and computers, with the hope to become a pediatrician when she grew up. She had attended a computer camp prior to starting Middle School, and look forward to sharing her experience with her fellow students. She also loved her faith, and at her church, she served as an usher, a member of the dance group, and a singer in the church choir. On her own, she loved to study the Bible and wrote her own commentary to some of the more challenging passages.

In remembrance of Asia Cottom, age 11, of Washington, D.C.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:24 AM   #2
Ben E Lou

Littlest victims largely overlooked
Old 09-11-2010, 04:26 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

I completely lost it right here.

"Christine Lee Hanson, 2, was carted aboard United Airlines Flight 175 in Boston by her parents, Peter, 32, and Sue Kim Hanson, 35. The flight was bound for Los Angeles. Christine was headed for her first visit to Disneyland."
Old 09-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

College football can't start soon enough.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Autumn
Head Coach

Thanks Ben, this is important and nicely done.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for sharing. I will never, ever forget that day.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Thanks. We still need to be reminded. I'm surprised at society's apathy as the years go by.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

tears.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
Schmidty
Coordinator

Horrible. The people in the middle east that cheer and praise this, should be forced to read every single one of these, along with their pictures. If they don't feel something like regret or horror, they are truly not humans, and deserve to be wiped from the earth.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Thanks. We still need to be reminded. I'm surprised at society's apathy as the years go by.

It's what time does to all events like this. Pearl Harbor as an example. In addition, we hear 9/11 on an almost daily basis. I think it was in a recent survey that something like 64% of people think of 9/11 at least once a day. That's staggering to me. Nobody is ever going to forget but those who are young aren't going to remember.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
cougarfreak
College Starter

I teach all freshman in HS this semester, and I was surprised by the lack of knowledge on the subject.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I teach all freshman in HS this semester, and I was surprised by the lack of knowledge on the subject.

Those kids were what, 5 or 6 on 9/11? Hard to believe. It's already history for the youth of this country, instead of a memory.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

On a related note: people in college now will have no actual recollection of Gulf War 1 or the Fall of the Berlin Wall. I'm sure that the former, particularly, may not even be something of which they're aware.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote