Wow, and people think I'm a homer.

Less of a homer and more "anti meter-maid"

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #52
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpunk2000 View Post
Wow, Barajas? Really? Is this Mets fan hate or another team?

I'm a Phillies fan. It goes back to 2007. Phils at Florida, 9th inning. Brett Myers is closing it down, when he gives up a solid...I believe it was a triple. Either way, there's a play at the plate, and the runner is dead to rights.

Except...Barajas tags high.

Clear as day. Saw it without the replay (the replay would confirm). He did not want contact, and so he tug (more of a glance) on the hip. The runner slid under the tag, and Florida tied the game.

The next pitch, Myers threw his arm out, and was gone for 2-3 months.

The Phillies had just caught fire, and were on a roll (they were in first in the NL East at the time, I believe). The result of the play was no more closer, and the Phils flew under .500 for a bit. Yes, they came back due to the Miracle of the Met Meltdown, but it may not have to have been that nuts.

Barajas was gone soon after. I really didn't care for him before that incident...but that play, as well as some ridiculous attitude stuff, completely turned me off to the guy. Fuck him.

Also, and since the attitude was brought up...Karim Garcia is another guy who had absolutely no right to have issue with *anybody*. I remember...was it Pedro?...someone throwing at him, and he flipped out. I'm pretty sure it was Pedro, because afterward, in the interview, his reputation (Garcia's) was questioned as a guy who could get pissed off about it.

Him and Barajas are lumped together, for me. ; )

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #53
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Showing my age ... Larry Bird. Hated him growing up, because I was a Magic fan. Couldn't stand Bird. Today, I appreciate his greatness and his work ethic. Maybe it's less of Bird winning me over and simply time making the rivalries of those days less heated.

On a less dramatic scale, I'll go with Eddie Kennison. He seemed like a non-good punk when he was bouncing around the Rams and Saints, then he become a Bronco and quit on the team. I was very displeased when the Chiefs signed him, and so were a lot of other fans.

His rehabilitation was slow here, but he never appeared to quit and lolly gag the way he did at some other stops. He also got involved with the community, and became one of the go-to guys on what was happening with the team and if you wanted a player to do something for the community. He addressed the transgressions earlier in his career, and truly became a fan favorite, to the point that last month the Chiefs signed him to a one-day contract so he could retire as a Chief. Nice happy ending to a career with a lot of ups and downs.

Chad is winning me over. The stunts early in his career and the name change made him seem like a punk. Now he's seeming more as a fun-loving guy with a sense of humor. If he keeps up his effort and keeps playing hard, he'll win me over.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:39 AM   #54
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Less of a homer and more "anti meter-maid"

Well, true, they do inspire disgust.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #55
DanGarion
Coordinator

Most definitely both of those Vick boys, they ain't never done nothing wrong.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #56
gkb
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Seriously?

It isn't OK on any level to have another human being standing in front of your car and intentionally put your foot on the gas. There is no circumstance short of that person being a threat to your well being that this is acceptable behavior.

I haven't had a chance to read past this post yet, I will, but I had to agree with this. It isn't ok to ever bump, push, nudge anyone with your car. That's a large, dangerous weapon you're in control of there. Is it the same as threatening someone with a gun? No, but still ... not cool.

Last edited by gkb : 08-10-2010 at 10:30 AM.
gkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #57
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Doesn't the NFL require players to partake in a certain amount of charity every year?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #58
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Randy Moss is, and always will be, a douche.

That is all.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #59
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'd agree with the two previous mentions in Derek Jeter and Chad Ochocinco.

I'd throw in Peyton Manning, too. He just seemed too good and perfect at first, but some of his commercials and his SNL gig made me come around and see that he wasn't as full of himself as I had long thought.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #60
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
Randy Moss is, and always will be, a douche.

That is all.

I wonder if most of this doesnt have to do with the fact that Moss lit your teams up for years and embarrassed your corners to the point I was laughing at them? Good times.

Moss may play when he wants to but you always knew the assbag fans at Lambeau would fire him up.

Randy Moss Mix - Bing Videos

13 career games vs the Packers, 66 Rec 1243 TDs 18.8 avg 12 TDs.(most vs any team) Packers brought out the best in him.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 08-10-2010 at 01:21 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #61
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'd agree with the two previous mentions in Derek Jeter and Chad Ochocinco.

I'd throw in Peyton Manning, too. He just seemed too good and perfect at first, but some of his commercials and his SNL gig made me come around and see that he wasn't as full of himself as I had long thought.

I like your Manning example. I was having a hard time coming up with someone but I feel this same way about Manning.

My other example despite the fact that my Bears fans friends bring up the 85 season and abnormally unhealthy amount of times I have learned to appreciate that team because of how they played and the fun they had.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #62
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Here are some classy Randy Moss Quotes...

--------

(on being fined 10k for pretending to moon the GB crowd) Ain't nothing but 10 grand. What's 10 grand to me? Next time, I might just shake my dick at them!

When you're rich, you don't write checks!

I play when I want to play.

Oh, it's got nothing to do with Denver or sea level, whatever that is.

--------

In regards to him "bumping" the meter maid, that was no bump. He was taking an illegal turn through an intersection in which a meter maid was helping direct traffic, or she was writing him a ticket, or somesuch...anyways...she was trying to get him to stop, and he kept hitting the gas. She wound up ON THE HOOD OF HIS CAR and he was still driving. I can only imagine what was going through his head at that moment "don't you know who I am?"

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 08-10-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #63
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
Here are some classy Randy Moss Quotes...

--------

(on being fined 10k for pretending to moon the GB crowd) Ain't nothing but 10 grand. What's 10 grand to me? Next time, I might just shake my dick at them!

When you're rich, you don't write checks!

I play when I want to play.

Oh, it's got nothing to do with Denver or sea level, whatever that is.

--------

In regards to him "bumping" the meter maid, that was no bump. He was taking an illegal turn through an intersection in which a meter maid was helping direct traffic. She was trying to get him to stop, and he kept hitting the gas. She wound up ON THE HOOD OF HIS CAR and he was still driving. I can only imagine what was going through his head at that moment "don't you know who I am?"

Hes just keeping it real He says what the other athletes think. What is 10 grand to a person that makes 10+ million a year.

As far as him playing when he wants to play he never bothered me as a Vikings fan. He always brought his best during the big games. I cant say I ever remember seeing him blatently being lazy.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 08-10-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #64
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Heh. One can only hope that he slows considerably with age, retires as a FA that nobody wants, and has a grand total of zero super bowl rings in his collection. He's 33 now, which means he wont have many more years of "go long" left in him.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #65
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Martin Brodeur

Yes, seriously.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #66
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Martin Brodeur

Yes, seriously.

I loved him in Gettysburg.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #67
McSweeny
College Starter

Brandon Phillips
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #68
Swaggs
Coordinator

The list of players that have lost me over the years is much, much longer.

Brett Favre, Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone (probably my all-time favorite b-ball player growing up, but no questioning the fact that he is a gigantic d-bag), Roger Clemens (and just about every PED using baseball player), etc.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:51 AM   #69
cyril
Mascot

tim tebow. seeing how he is totally not ashamed to show off his assisi hairdo increases my respect for this guy.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:08 AM   #70
Groundhog
Coordinator

I have a strong dislike of Tim Tebow, though I've never seen him play. He just gives off an aura of douchebaggery.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #71
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I have a strong dislike of Tim Tebow, though I've never seen him play. He just gives off an aura of douchebaggery.

+1, and he is now the QB of my favorite team. I'm hoping in a couple years I can add him to this thread as someone who has won me over.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #72
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Brian Cushing

First I just thought he was a punk who took some 'roids or HGH.

But it turns out that Cushing has some super work-ethic and has just been over training.

LOL. Cushing is my personal hero.

Tebow seems like an alright guy to me. I probably follow college less than anyone on this board, but I haven't seen a doucheness factor with him personally.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #73
boberot
High School Varsity

I think I gotta go Tyson.

He's done some awful things, and I used to think he was just a thug.

Lately, I love every interview I read with him. He is so candid about his mental health and substance abuse issues, so quick to talk about what a stupid asshole he was most of his life.

It's very refreshing, and he truly seems like he wants to live a good life with his family.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote