Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2003, 03:12 PM   #1
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Reviews' of top ballparks

Reading the articles on ESPN, the guys named PNC Park the best in MLB. This is what missing from text-based sim games.

I wonder what the perfect blend of location, history, design, comfort and football would be.. Your feedback?

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/ballparks/pncpark.html

SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:12 PM   #2
korme
Go Reds

gab got hosed
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 04:44 PM   #3
henry296
College Starter

I kept waiting for PNC Park to show up all summer, now I know why it was last. I love did. To me it is Camden Yards with a better view.

Todd
Old 09-09-2003, 06:04 PM   #4
Balldog
Pro Rookie

GAB really isn't all that special though, its kind of plain.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:08 PM   #5
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Even though it's very similar to Camden Yards - my favorite is Jacobs Field. Haven't been to PNC yet, going next year.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:26 PM   #6
Vince
Pro Starter

I gotta throw in my 2 cents for Pac Bell Park. I haven't been to a better park (I've been to Candlestick, Chavez Ravine, Oakland Colliseum, Bank One Ballpark, Anaheim, and Safeco), and I'm hoping to go to a few more in the near future.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:32 PM   #7
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bah.

Wrigley bleachers is still the best baseball experience one can ever have.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:33 PM   #8
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I have been to 17 of the ballparks listed in this review (was higher until some of the recent retired parks that I had been to fell off the list (such as Cinergy, Astrodome, Three Rivers, etc)..

I have never been to PNC park though, and having seen this list I guess I need to venture out there some time soon for a game (maybe even drive out this season)..

Just other odd listings though that I find...

How can any park be ranked below Tropicana field is beyond me. I have been in the three worst fields according to this list, and Tropicana is hands down the worst baseball experience I have ever had... I will go as far as saying that a game in pawtucket is more enjoyable than a game there...

I don't understand why Yankee Stadium is so low... Don't get me wrong, the park is no where as nice as some of the newer parks, but games at Fenway aren't too comfortable either, and they smell, and you have obstructive views, and the food is too expensive, etc... Both parks have great history, and fun fans and atmosphere.. For the Yankee fan atmosphere alone, I would rate the park over Cellular Field or Pro Player stadium... (and I hate the Yankees..)

I also think the Ballpark in Arlington is underated.. That park is one of the best to look at I think.. People seem to usually downgrade it because of all the huge advertising in the outfield.. but I think that adds something to it..

I am glad to see Kaufman up as high as it was, I have long thought that Kaufman was one of the best early baseball only parks. I used to fly into Kansas City once a month for business back in the 90s.. I would make sure to make a point at getting tickets for at least one game every trip there.

Anyhows.. interesting article.. I will have to go back through and re-read the older articles. Not sure how I missed this series, since I love baseball parks. I have a goal of eventually getting to everyone, but so far have only made it to about 30-32 of the past and present major league stadiums..

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 06:52 PM   #9
Killebrew
H.S. Freshman Team

Yankee Stadium's merciless "upgrades" of the late 60's and early 70's sucked out much of it's retro charm. That's why they had to film "61*" in Tiger Stadium painted to look like the vintage Tankee Stadium of 1961.

About the ESPN picks: I'm glad Kaufman Stadium got it's usual high marks.
Killebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 07:27 PM   #10
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee Warlord
Bah.

I find the Wrigley 'experience' the most overrated. Beautful park, but it's not a baseball game, it's a social event.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:12 PM   #11
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Anyone know a similar series on other sports (football, ect?)
Old 09-09-2003, 08:22 PM   #12
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I read that list earlier and found it fascinating. My brother goes to about 20 games a season at Pac Bell and continues to rave about it.

I went to Camden for the first time in June and truthfully, I was not that impressed at all. I thought the food was pretty mediocre (Boog's BBQ). But mainly, I had been to that park before - it's called Coors Field. After experiencing many games at Coors, I felt going to Camden was no big deal.

When I was in SD in July, I made a point of watching the construction at Petco. They were adding the seats and leveling the interior. What I noticed was that the upper two decks pretty much hung over the lower deck at the rim (not including the less sloped field seats). Most parks has the upper decks cascading back, thus putting the fans further away.

I have not been to many ballparks but of the ones I visited, Fenway was by far and away the most memorable experience, both inside and out.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 08:24 PM   #13
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

What makes ballparks so differenet from other sports? Is it that they play 80-some games?

Football and arenas don't seem to get the same "level" as ballparks.

Any info on the Padres new stadium?

I found the Tigers stadium an interesting read...the statues of tigers and that. I love that. They should have a real tiger as well.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:27 PM   #14
Buccaneer
Head Coach

For SunDancer (thanks for asking):

San Diego Petco Park
Old 09-09-2003, 08:31 PM   #15
Buccaneer
Head Coach

dola

In this photo of Petco , the viewing area where I went to is at the right edge in the middle. The Convention Center (where I was) is in the upper left. I think you can see how the upper decks hang over the field more than typical.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:34 PM   #16
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

I think I will love the stadium. It seems the new stadiums lack something...in all sports.

Do they do the stadium tour every year? Do htey do it in football?

What are your overall thoughs on the baseball stadiums, from a owner/fan viewpoint?

Say you are building a football or sporting arena, what would you plan be?
Old 09-09-2003, 08:36 PM   #17
tucker342
Pro Starter

really interesting article.... I hope to go to Pak Bell Park and also PNC Park someday.....

I've been to Wrigley, Kaufmen, and the Oakland Colliseum. Kaufmen was by far the best of those three....
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:04 PM   #18
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer

I went to Camden for the first time in June and truthfully, I was not that impressed at all. I thought the food was pretty mediocre (Boog's BBQ). But mainly, I had been to that park before - it's called Coors Field. After experiencing many games at Coors, I felt going to Camden was no big deal.

You kind of have it backwards. Camden Yards opened in 1992, Coors Field in 1995.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:05 PM   #19
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by SunDancer
I found the Tigers stadium an interesting read...the statues of tigers and that. I love that. They should have a real tiger as well.

I spent a weekend at Comerica this summer. Not good times, bad times. To me, it's easily the worst of the 'new' parks. Some of the Tiger stuff is kind of funny, like the Tiger carousel, but other then that it's pretty lame.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:14 PM   #20
Balldog
Pro Rookie

To each his own I guess, everyone I've talked to loves Comerica Park.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:37 PM   #21
JeeberD
General Manager

Minute Maid Park is amazing. Just something about going from 100 degree weather with 80% humidity into an air conditioned building and still seeing an amazing looking grass field in there...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 09:53 PM   #22
clintl
College Starter

Pac Bell is outstanding. The peep holes in the RF wall where people can stand outside the stadium and watch the game for free are probably the greatest thing anyone has incorporated into a new sports facility for the fans.

The Oakland Coliseum was a much nicer place to watch a game before Al Davis moved the Raiders back and constructed that monstrosity beyond the OF fence.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 10:09 PM   #23
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by lynchjm24
You kind of have it backwards. Camden Yards opened in 1992, Coors Field in 1995.

No, Camden opened in 1985. That's my point. At the time, Camden was very special (being the first of the "old" new park). If I had gone there first (instead of Coors), then I would have been amazed at Camden. But since I didn't, I feel that Coors is a better version of Camden.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:58 PM   #24
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Anyone know about similar "tours' of other leagues?
Old 09-09-2003, 11:46 PM   #25
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Anyone know about similar "tours' of other leagues?

No, I don't. Baseball is special for stadiums because the actual playing field is different in everyone.

When you go to a football stadium, the field is going to be the same size and dimensions as every other stadium. There are better stadiums then others I'm sure, but other than the atmosphere there isn't a real difference for me from watching a game at Mile High to watching one against a high school rival.

The fans level of excitement make or break the experience. With baseball, that isn't the case for me.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:46 AM   #26
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
No, I don't. Baseball is special for stadiums because the actual playing field is different in everyone.

When you go to a football stadium, the field is going to be the same size and dimensions as every other stadium. There are better stadiums then others I'm sure, but other than the atmosphere there isn't a real difference for me from watching a game at Mile High to watching one against a high school rival.

The fans level of excitement make or break the experience. With baseball, that isn't the case for me.

TroyF

Like the Green Monster, the Ivy and Brick walls with the bleacher seeting at Wrigley, and the Cove at Pac Bell Park?
Old 09-10-2003, 12:47 AM   #27
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Also my fav part of the Pirates reading

6. Quality of hot dogs: You know how some teams have interns running around with those gas-canister powered cannons to shoot T-shirts into the stands between innings? The Pirates use them to launch hot dogs into the stands. As I watched them, I couldn't help but wonder about some very embarrassing moments at the doctor's office.

DOCTOR: And just how did you get this wiener stuck in your ear?

PATIENT: A guy shot me with a cannon.

DOCTOR: Yeah, sure ...

PATIENT: No, really. A guy shot me at a Pirates game.

DOCTOR: Please. That's very funny but I have a lot of patients to see.

PATIENT: No, really. A guy shot me at a Pirates game.

DOCTOR: Look, I can't help you unless you're honest with how this happened
Old 09-10-2003, 12:49 AM   #28
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Like the Green Monster, the Ivy and Brick walls with the bleacher seeting at Wrigley, and the Cove at Pac Bell Park?

Exactly. There isn't anything different in the field of play at a football game. Each stadium may have its own special wrinkle (the horse at Mile High, the pirate ship in Tampa, etc.) but the field is the same one you'd find at your local high school.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 01:02 AM   #29
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
I spent a weekend at Comerica this summer. Not good times, bad times. To me, it's easily the worst of the 'new' parks. Some of the Tiger stuff is kind of funny, like the Tiger carousel, but other then that it's pretty lame.

Comerica Park is a gem hidden in the trash heap that is metro Detroit. I love the park, and so does everyone I've talked to.

Seems to me that you might just have bad taste. You are forgiven.
Old 09-10-2003, 01:37 AM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I've only been to three stadiums: The Astrodome, Wrigley, and Kaufman. I think Kaufman is the most gorgeous park and it constantly gets ratings like "the best park you've never been to" and "most underrated park". However, I think I liked the experience at Wrigley better. As for Yankee Stadium ranked low, unless you're a Yankee fan, it's not a baseball mecca. Wrigley and Fenway are. Yankee Stadium fits in that category with Dodgers Stadium of "well, it's historical and all but the park doesn't look very interesting". I really want to check out Camden and Fenway next. Although, tomorrow, I'll be at Kaufman...

I've loved reading this series all summer. I'm really glad ESPN did it!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-10-2003 at 01:38 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 01:50 AM   #31
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee Warlord
Bah.

So, so true. I wish everyone could spend just one day in those bleachers watching a Cubs game. It was an experience I'll never forget.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 02:24 AM   #32
SuburbanPimp
Mascot

Quote:
No, Camden opened in 1985.

The Orioles were playing in Memorial Stadium in 1985. I went to an O's/A's game there in 1985. They began playing in Camden Yards in 92, hosted the All Star Game in 93.

Anyway, Camden is the original, and will forever be the best. The atmosphere is the best, and the B&O warehouse is the unattainable (well, except for griffey in the home run derby) goal for left handed hitters.
SuburbanPimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:25 AM   #33
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
No, Camden opened in 1985. That's my point. At the time, Camden was very special (being the first of the "old" new park). If I had gone there first (instead of Coors), then I would have been amazed at Camden. But since I didn't, I feel that Coors is a better version of Camden.

The Orioles played at Memorial Stadium until 1991.
http://baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/attend.shtml
Old 09-10-2003, 05:27 AM   #34
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmidty
Comerica Park is a gem hidden in the trash heap that is metro Detroit. I love the park, and so does everyone I've talked to.

Seems to me that you might just have bad taste. You are forgiven.

Well I can promise you I'm not the only person who thinks that Comerica Park stinks. Even when I was there in July they were still printing articles in the about how bad it is.

Everyone I've ever talked to who has been to a number of the new stadiums has it at the bottom or near the bottom.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:31 AM   #35
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Well I can promise you I'm not the only person who thinks that Comerica Park stinks. Even when I was there in July they were still printing articles in the about how bad it is.

Everyone I've ever talked to who has been to a number of the new stadiums has it at the bottom or near the bottom.

Put a decent team in that stadium and everyone would think it was great.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:06 AM   #36
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I'm not a big fan of it either. Its not terrible, just not great. The only part of the stadium that definitely exudes an authentic original feel is the area in the outfield with the statues. Other than that, it doesn't really feel special at all. The sightlines are ok, but in most seats you are so far removed from the action that you may as well be watching the game from I-75. There is nothing about that stadium that I could say really would draw me back just to go. If you want to see what a great stadium in Detroit truly is, walk to 20 feet across the street to Ford Field.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 06:34 AM   #37
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Of the newer stadiums that I have been to Comerica is one of the "cheaper" feeling ones. Only Miller Park seemed to feel cheaper than Comerica.. Its a nice park with some personality, but not anything outstanding like some of the other parks.. To me there was some special personality about old Tiger Stadium that stood out. I loved the Center Field, I loved the Overhand Roofs in the OF, I loved the double deckers.. I loved the rare occasion someone hit the ball out of the park...

Comerica Park is a more comfortable seat than old Tiger Stadium. It is cleaner and newer and nicer in that sense.. But I would also hate to see someone tear down Wrigley Field or Fenway to put in a newer somewhat generic stadium too. I think that is what I miss about Tiger Stadium being gone...

As for football stadiums.. I obviously have not been to as many of them as I have baseball parks.. Probably only 6-7 of them (and most of those also served as baseball stadiums in those cities ironically enough) . All of the ones i have been to for the most part have been rather similar in design and void of personality... THe only one I have been to that stands out is probably the new Gillette Stadium in New England. That for a football stadium is a marvel to me.

I still prefer at least 10-15 of the baseball parks I have been to though.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:09 AM   #38
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Cheap = GAB
Old 09-10-2003, 06:26 PM   #39
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by ice4277
If you want to see what a great stadium in Detroit truly is, walk to 20 feet across the street to Ford Field.

I was going to mention Ford Field as being quite an awesome place when someone mentioned football, but I'm lazy .
Old 09-10-2003, 07:45 PM   #40
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Sorry about the Camden dates, I must have been thinking of something else. Still, I wonder how many would agree with me that Coors is a better version of Camden?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:57 PM   #41
kcchief19
Pro Starter

No offense to the stadiums at the bottom -- they deserve to be there -- but I have never talked to anyone who has been to a game at U.S. Cellular (Comiskey) that hasn't had to take a long shower afterwards and seek counseling. I haven't been there, but the generally take I here is that it is a 12-year old stadium that feels like it's been there for ever -- and not in a good way.

Irony -- the architecture firm here in KC that designed Camden Yards pitched the design and proposal to the White Sox first. The Sox turned it down because they didn't think that retro feel would fly. Good call. The Orioles should send Jerry Reinsdorf a Christmas card every year.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 08:03 PM   #42
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by kcchief19
l The Orioles should send Jerry Reinsdorf a Christmas card every year.

I think alot of teams should its amazing to see a larger market team just struggle in poor decisions for a long long time... Of course I guess there are a few of those..
Old 09-10-2003, 08:40 PM   #43
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Sorry about the Camden dates, I must have been thinking of something else. Still, I wonder how many would agree with me that Coors is a better version of Camden?

Well I know I am somewhat negative about Comerica because it is in Detroit. I haven't been to Coors, but I understand the area to be great, much better then say....... Baltimore.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:55 PM   #44
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Here's another article regarding the stadium subject:
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/neel/030910.html?partnersite=espn
Old 09-11-2003, 12:30 AM   #45
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Well I know I am somewhat negative about Comerica because it is in Detroit. I haven't been to Coors, but I understand the area to be great, much better then say....... Baltimore.

The Inner Harbor area in Baltimore is actually pretty nice.
Iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:49 AM   #46
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Do you guys feel a new pro baseball league could suceed? Where, how and why?
Old 09-13-2003, 10:02 AM   #47
Balldog
Pro Rookie

There is no way a new pro league could succeed, the MLB barely succeeds.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:53 AM   #48
clintl
College Starter

There aren't enough good untapped markets for a new league in any of the four major team sports.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote