Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-30-2003, 02:28 PM   #1
The Orange Man
n00b

Recruiting question...bribes

...have searched the Forums but haven't been able to find out much about offering bribes to players and what others have found the results to be.

I've never done it before but am contemplating it now, not only because I think I may have to do it in order to compete with my arch-nemesis UCLA, but because I think they may be doing it themselves (how else could they have three of the top five CBs all visiting them by week 5?).

What has others' experience been with bribing and how much can you get away with before getting put on probation? Would you get any warning and then be able to back away from the edge? Are there certain types of players who are more susceptible to a bribe than others?

Another question: I'm starting to think if you target certain players and visit them right away (in week 1) and then perhaps visit them a few more times by week 5, you would be extremely likely to get these guys if they are more or less compatible with your team.

I've done OK in recruiting but I tend to use my visits more to find out players' ratings (more likely to visit a player if my scout if poor). For instance, if I've got a player rated 95 but my scout is terrific, I usually would call instead, because I already know his rating is "93-97". I pretty much go by process of elimination and visit some of the lower ranked players first to determine their ratings to see if they would be candidates for recruitment or not, particularly if the top player doesn't react positively to my visit request.

I'm thinking I've underestimated the importance of visiting in person rather than calling and doing so as early as possible (for instance, calling in week one and then visiting in week four or five might not get it done, if other top schools visit right away).

Also, it seems to me I also may have underestimated the importance of offering a scholarship immediately (instead of waiting to week 4 after I've examined most of the candidates).

If someone says, in response to your request for a visit, "that there is little chance they will visit", would you go ahead and offer them a scholarship immediately anyway, if, for instance, they have a fit score of 95 with you? Or would you rule that recruit right out immediately and move on, just because of what he said?

Thanks for any replies.

The Orange Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 08:18 PM   #2
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Bribing does help and you do get a warning if you start getting carried away with bribes. However, UCLA did not get those CB's to visit them by bribing them. Bribes can only be offered to players that have visited you.

As for visits/ scholarships, I can't really help you. I usually stick to top 50 prospects and visit as many as I can each week and offer scholarships the first week I contact them.
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 09:24 PM   #3
The Orange Man
n00b

Thanks for your response.

When I didn't get any responses to my post right away, I went ahead and chanced a couple of bribes. The first guy, a tackle from Maryland who I really needed to get (thought I would get him anyway but didn't want to risk it not happening) didn't understand the offer - and then he went to Navy a week or two later. That got me thinking that another risk to offering a bribe may be that it makes a player who might have chosen you not do so, so I was thinking I wouldn't offer anymore for now. And the last thing I want is probation - as I've gotten Syracuse to the point where anything less than a national title is not enough (not that I win all the time - only 3 undisputed titles in 27 seasons so far).

But, it just so happens the #1 safety in the country has narrowed his choices down to UCLA and Syracuse. I'm not desperate for a safety this year but when I factored in that I also want to keep UCLA from getting him, I decided to offer a bribe. The player has a fair attitude and it's my conjecture that the worse the player's attitude is the more likely it would be they would accept. The clincher for me was when I looked at UCLA's Syndicate Coordinator and see that he is Excellent at avoiding investigations - how suspicious! Mine is Terrific at it.

The player favors Prestige/Academics. Going by that - plus the fact I got to him earlier would seem to mean I would get him (both schools have 100 prestige, and I win on Academics 96/83). That said, the fact UCLA is much closer could tip the scales so I decided not to chance it.

He accepted the bribe! That was so cool - LOL! Haven't played further to see if he accepted yet. Got a nice bonus as UCLA lost at unranked Cal 34-27 this week as well - first time Cal's ever beaten them.

I'll have to check later but I think you can bribe someone as long as you offer them a scholarship, I don't think they have to be visiting you.

As for visits/scholarships, each recruiting year I make a list of all the players that I'm considering for each position. I then mark this sheet up accordingly with various notations as the recruiting season goes along.

I just noticed something that I hadn't before - for this season at least, I've noticed that I've ended up getting none of the players who said there was almost no chance they would visit or not likely they would visit. Usually when I get that message, I just hold off on offering a scholarship right away. Maybe I am not putting enough stock in those messages - perhaps they really mean something.

Unlike some of the other messages you get. For example, when you contact someone, it's usually best when they are mildly pleased or happy to hear from you. I never like when they say they are very happy to hear from me because then I know they're not really that interested and the lower fit score usually bears that out.
The Orange Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 09:51 PM   #4
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Orange Man
Thanks for your response.

When I didn't get any responses to my post right away, I went ahead and chanced a couple of bribes. The first guy, a tackle from Maryland who I really needed to get (thought I would get him anyway but didn't want to risk it not happening) didn't understand the offer - and then he went to Navy a week or two later. That got me thinking that another risk to offering a bribe may be that it makes a player who might have chosen you not do so, so I was thinking I wouldn't offer anymore for now. And the last thing I want is probation - as I've gotten Syracuse to the point where anything less than a national title is not enough (not that I win all the time - only 3 undisputed titles in 27 seasons so far).

But, it just so happens the #1 safety in the country has narrowed his choices down to UCLA and Syracuse. I'm not desperate for a safety this year but when I factored in that I also want to keep UCLA from getting him, I decided to offer a bribe. The player has a fair attitude and it's my conjecture that the worse the player's attitude is the more likely it would be they would accept. The clincher for me was when I looked at UCLA's Syndicate Coordinator and see that he is Excellent at avoiding investigations - how suspicious! Mine is Terrific at it.

The player favors Prestige/Academics. Going by that - plus the fact I got to him earlier would seem to mean I would get him (both schools have 100 prestige, and I win on Academics 96/83). That said, the fact UCLA is much closer could tip the scales so I decided not to chance it.

He accepted the bribe! That was so cool - LOL! Haven't played further to see if he accepted yet. Got a nice bonus as UCLA lost at unranked Cal 34-27 this week as well - first time Cal's ever beaten them.

I'll have to check later but I think you can bribe someone as long as you offer them a scholarship, I don't think they have to be visiting you.

As for visits/scholarships, each recruiting year I make a list of all the players that I'm considering for each position. I then mark this sheet up accordingly with various notations as the recruiting season goes along.

I just noticed something that I hadn't before - for this season at least, I've noticed that I've ended up getting none of the players who said there was almost no chance they would visit or not likely they would visit. Usually when I get that message, I just hold off on offering a scholarship right away. Maybe I am not putting enough stock in those messages - perhaps they really mean something.

Unlike some of the other messages you get. For example, when you contact someone, it's usually best when they are mildly pleased or happy to hear from you. I never like when they say they are very happy to hear from me because then I know they're not really that interested and the lower fit score usually bears that out.

No, I'm pretty sure they have to be visiting you.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty
DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 11:10 AM   #5
Franklinnoble
Banned

I don't play much TCY anymore (I wish they separated the season and the recruiting into different stages - the current model is too cumbersome for me), but when I did, I would bribe the cr@p outta prospects... Basically, just get a coordinator that is good at avoiding investigations, and go ahead and bribe 3-4 top prospects every season. That's essentially how I built my Solecismic 8 team into a national champion.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 03:21 PM   #6
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

I found if you offer more than two bribes a year you have nearly a 50-50 chance of getting caught. I have also noticed it drives down your recruiting rating at the end of the year. I recall one time I bribed four guys, had all of my recruits in the top 500 with 6 in the top 100, any my recruiting rating was like a 25. Oh yeah, I got caught and went on probation. I suggest saving bribes only for those guys you really, really want. Like a top 10 QB or RB, the franchise players.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:38 AM   #7
Blade6119
Coordinator

Bribes...maurice clarett...sound a lot alike...
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 10:20 AM   #8
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade6119
Bribes...maurice clarett...sound a lot alike...

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 04:39 AM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm always bribing folks. Just odn't do it too often...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote