Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #2452
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
singler got nailed by howard at the end. hope he's ok

I couldn't tell if Howard leaned into him or not, but Singler sure got flattened.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #2453
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The worst is the replay where the ref is just watching the whole thing happen.

The worst no-call in a game full of terrible no-calls (against both teams), and some terrible calls (ie. Hayward's charge).
Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #2454
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Gus Johnson Soundboard 2010 NCAA MARCH MADNESS

I've been clicking randomly on this for the last 30 minutes, in my dreams Gus is calling the finals!

You can piece together that last shot from there, sounds pretty good.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #2455
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I do want to say this as someone who loves the game of basketball. I loved this game and thought it was an excellent championship.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #2456
RainMaker
General Manager

My brother went to High School with Scheyer and said he was a really good guy. He was rooting for him and I'm happy he got the win.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #2457
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm trying to imagine the atmosphere in that place if that last shot had gone in. I'm imagining the biggest party I possibly can, and it probably would've been even bigger than that. In any case, that was a hell of a finish.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #2458
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I would have loved to see that fall at the buzzer. Might have made it the best game of all time, then

SI

At a minimum, wouldn't have to put up with Laettner's shot being the greatest of all time.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #2459
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
I do want to say this as someone who loves the game of basketball. I loved this game and thought it was an excellent championship.

For sure. Excellent tournament all around. A few stinkers (Duke-WVU), but on the whole, from the early rounds right up until the championship, some very entertaining basketball.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #2460
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Brad Stevens is a hell of a coach.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #2461
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
At a minimum, wouldn't have to put up with Laettner's shot being the greatest of all time.

In Kansas, of course, we're big fans of Mario Chalmers's shot

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"

Old 04-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #2462
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post

I agree however his offense could stand to be a little bit more dynamic but I am nitpicking.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #2463
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
My brother went to High School with Scheyer and said he was a really good guy. He was rooting for him and I'm happy he got the win.

Overall, it is a pretty likeable team. Thomas, in particular, was a pretty big deal in high school, if I remember correctly, so it is impressive to see him mature enough to become a role player and dirty work guy on a team that needs it.

I've seen Singler do too many assholish things over the years to be happy for him and Zoubek just seems like a dirty player that is just big and not really skilled. Other than those two, props to Duke.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #2464
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

Honestly, maybe the best tourney ever. Tons of upsets, a lot of great and close games, and a title game worthy of being the Championship.

SI

Old 04-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #2465
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post

Yeah, he did well. I think it took him a little too long to address the curl-screens that Duke was running mostly in the first half - about 5 minutes too long - and he also didn't do a very good job of calming his guys down in the last 10 mins of the 2nd half. I know the penetration was working for Butler, but they went about 5 minutes without running any kind of play, and that pretty much coincided with their scoring drought.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #2466
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm surprised that no one ever gets injured on those raised floors. It looks like someone with some momentum could really go off the edge and get hurt badly (along w/ fans or the guys on the bench).
Old 04-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #2467
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
And that was afoul on Howard

Yeah, and Zubeck should have fouled out on a clear foul on howard, a foul that should have sent Howard to the line for a one and one. The refs sucked this game for both teams.

I'm amazed Duke actually got through their BS of a bracket that they get every year and actually won another one.

They won tonight because of Singler. Sheyer and Smith were average at best. 10-27 from the floor, 2 for 10 from three.

For Butler, Heyword and Howard simply didn't step up. Heyword missed a ton of makeable shots. You don't deserve the title if you don't hit those. And Howard missed makeable shots and continued to foul like a bull in a china shop. Intensity is one thing, playing the game dumb and hurting your team with dumb fouls is another. Simply put, the right team won the game, even if I can't stand em.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #2468
Groundhog
Coordinator

Also, I think this game will have Hayward returning to Butler. He's skilled, but I think his lack of strength was highlighted tonight. Another year in Butler will serve him well as far as the NBA goes. Hopefully Butler have a couple of tall recruits on the way, too.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #2469
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Also, I think this game will have Hayward returning to Butler. He's skilled, but I think his lack of strength was highlighted tonight. Another year in Butler will serve him well as far as the NBA goes. Hopefully Butler have a couple of tall recruits on the way, too.
It would help him but still stupid on his part not to leave early.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #2470
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malificent View Post
I went on scholarship. My family was middle class, at best. Your statement above says more about you than it does about the average Duke student.

Whatever you want to believe. I just for the record my parents were working class people from Boston and I attended the Air Force Academy and CSU for my graduate degree. So, I guess it says not what you want it to say about me. Have a good night though.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #2471
RainMaker
General Manager

This goes down as a whole as the best tournament I've ever seen.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #2472
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
So, On to destroying the tourney with 96 teams.

Yep, between my team going away (UNO to D-III) and college basketball being ruined by the 96-team tourney this pretty much serves as a farewell to the sport for me (outside of FBCB, of course). Would've been the perfect ending for that shot to go in, but of course there is no god. Ah well.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #2473
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
It would help him but still stupid on his part not to leave early.

If he's a mid-1st he's stupid not to leave, but I wonder what effect tonight has on his stock. He's got decent handles and is long and relatively athletic, but lacks strength and consistency on his shot, which is a problem considering he's a SF at the next level. I really enjoy watching him play and think that his form is too good for him not to be a solid shooter, but I think if I were an NBA GM I'd want to see him take the next step in his game before I invest too high a pick on him.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #2474
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This goes down as a whole as the best tournament I've ever seen.

Agreed, as I said above. And I realize the gravity of that statement.

SI

Old 04-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #2475
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Always been a big Duke hater, but this is my "most favorite" Duke team. No one on the squad I can't stand and I don't really watch ESPN much anymore, so I avoided the inevitable Vitale love that turns any unbiased viewer into someone passionately against Duke.

I was still rooting for Butler (underdog and all), but I don't mind as much that Duke won. Good game for both teams.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #2476
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'm surprised that no one ever gets injured on those raised floors. It looks like someone with some momentum could really go off the edge and get hurt badly (along w/ fans or the guys on the bench).

Minnesota plays on a raised court and injuries from it have never really been a problem.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #2477
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think we'll see a lot of marginal underclassmen leave this season, as it seems like there might be some financial changes in the NBA after this season.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #2478
Tigercat
College Starter

I think what I hate most about Duke basketball is the ugly fouls they always get their way. I actually don't think they win much on the basis of calls, it is just every game they get at least one ridiculous call. Usually a call where the Duke player is smart or instinctual enough to be in the right place, but not athletic enough to pull off a clean play. Yet somehow the ref ignores the unathletic play and gives the Duke player the benefit of the doubt. It just kills the flow of watching a good game of basketball.

But tonight was an awesome game regardless.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #2479
chesapeake
College Starter

Dear old Duke, thy name we'll sing;
To thee our voices raise!
To thee our anthems ring
In everlasting praise.

And though on life's broad seas
Our fates may far us bear,
We'll ever turn to thee,
Our alma mater dear!

Woo hoo!

What a great game. Both teams worked extremely hard for 40 minutes and either could have won. But, once again, evil triumphed over good. Feel the power of the dark side!
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #2480
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Again, I don't think Duke was given this game by the officials. The refs just sucked across the board.

SI

Old 04-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #2481
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
If he's a mid-1st he's stupid not to leave, but I wonder what effect tonight has on his stock. He's got decent handles and is long and relatively athletic, but lacks strength and consistency on his shot, which is a problem considering he's a SF at the next level. I really enjoy watching him play and think that his form is too good for him not to be a solid shooter, but I think if I were an NBA GM I'd want to see him take the next step in his game before I invest too high a pick on him.
This game won't hurt his stock. He's a 6-9" small forward who can play like a SG. He rebounds well and has a high basketball IQ. With the mismatches he can create with his height, someone will take him in the late teens of the draft.

He's a more athletic version of Mike Dunleavy. Probably won't be a star in the NBA but will be a solid role player.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:53 AM   #2482
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

He proved tonight he was a pro, no doubt about it. But his stock won't ever be higher than it is now, so coming back probably wouldn't make sense...this isn't Florida's back to back team or anything like that, though it'd be cool to see them try it again...the lack of the national spotlight for the bulk of their season would surely hurt him without another run in the tournament and so, you can't take the paycut unless you just don't care.

But any scout watching tonight saw a bonafide pro. The way he drove to the lane with no fear and proved he was the dude that wanted the ball and his teammates saw him the same way was awesome to see.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:45 AM   #2483
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know if I'd agree with that. I mean I think he should go pro because of the uncertainty with the collective bargaining agreement and the fact salaries are going to take a huge hit.

I don't think his draft status is going to be hit though because his best qualities are physical. He's an athletic 6-9" player who can shoot. There just aren't a lot of those guys out there. Butler could have a down year, but so did Davidson (which didn't hurt Curry). Butler has all their top players coming back. He's going to play in the NBA whether he stays or not in my opinion.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #2484
Kodos
Resident Alien

It was a very entertaining game. Pissed about the charging call -- typical Duke favoritism there. Still, Butler had a shot at the end. How beautiful would it have been had that gone in?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #2485
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

It's on Butler though...they missed a shit-ton of shots throughout the game. Credit to their incredible defense that they were able to hang in there.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #2486
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
How beautiful would it have been had that gone in?

Not nearly as beautiful as it was when it fell off the rim.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #2487
timmynausea
College Starter

How do you not consider Zoubek the MVP after that triple double last night? 10 rebounds, 10 over the backs and 13 moving picks.

(And before 8 Duke fans respond taking this literally - this is a joke. I actually only watched a few minutes.)
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #2488
spleen1015
Coordinator

Other than the asshole Butler student sitting behind me at the game, this was the greatest sporting event I have ever been to.

I was pretty confident that the game would be what it was, a close game, down to the last 10 seconds. The end of that game was probably the longest 10-12 minutes of my life. I was ready to puke. I thought for sure Duke was going to end up giving the game away and Hayward was going to pull it out for Butler. The shot at the buzzer was pretty damn close. Had it gone in, I'd likely still be trying to get out of downtown.

Duke did a good job of denying Hayward the ball in the 1st half. Once Stevens had him bringing up the ball in the 2nd half, it wore him out and he was tired down the stretch.

Hayward won't go pro. Stevens stays a Butler because they aren't losing anyone and they can make another run next year.

That was epic.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 04-06-2010 at 09:11 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #2489
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
How do you not consider Zoubek the MVP after that triple double last night? 10 rebounds, 10 over the backs and 13 moving picks.

(And before 8 Duke fans respond taking this literally - this is a joke. I actually only watched a few minutes.)

It had to be at least a quadruple double, no way he doesn't have at least ten bruises from the muggings that he took (in the very few minutes I saw).
Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #2490
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It had to be at least a quadruple double, no way he doesn't have at least ten bruises from the muggings that he took (in the very few minutes I saw).

He gave worse than he got. Far worse.

Not that I have complaints about the officiating. The players decided this one.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #2491
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post

Why you dirty rotten so-and-so!

Butler did a pretty good job of mitigating Zoubek's effectiveness. For example, at least 3 times, they made him come out to the 3 pt line to guard a guy and then used him to pick another Duke defender, thus creating an easy lane to the basket.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #2492
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Highest rated final since 01.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #2493
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I never have and never will understand the grief Duke gets for fouls. Except for this year, Duke has never been described as "physical." It's very hard to describe Duke as a finesse team that commits fouls like crazy. That doesn't compute. However, I will grant that they are a smart team that pushes the limits as much as they can, which I think is what everyone wants their team to do.

These two teams to me looked very similar. Neither Butler nor Duke has the flashy athletes that Kansas or Kentucky had but they have some players who buy into the system and are more worried about doing good than looking good.

Heard Mike DeCourcy on the radio this morning and his argument was that this year's NCAA tournament may have been one of the most loosely officiated tournaments ever and that in every round you saw the teams that played the most physical prevail. During that stretch last night and during the MSU-Butler stretch last night where no one was scoring FGs, it was a junkyard brawl. Both teams clawed and hacked away, and I don't think one was worse than the other.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #2494
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

You guys have inspired me to take my basketball test and work towards doing college games in both sports.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 PM   #2495
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
You guys have inspired me to take my basketball test and work towards doing college games in both sports.

SEE. ALL THE REFS ARE DUKE FANS, GOD.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #2496
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

NCAA Women's Final

12-5 with 7 or so minutes left in the first half... What the fuck?? Is that a normal score or just a fluke???
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #2497
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
NCAA Women's Final

12-5 with 7 or so minutes left in the first half... What the fuck?? Is that a normal score or just a fluke???

I don't think it was unexpected for Stanford to have 12 at that point, but I would have guessed that it was 30-12 UConn. This is insane(now 20-12 Stanford in the final minute of the half) but I think Stanford needed to be a lot more successful on offense and build a bigger lead going into the locker room.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #2498
Swaggs
Coordinator

Good lord -- I wonder if that floor is as bad to play on as it is to watch on TV.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #2499
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I never have and never will understand the grief Duke gets for fouls. Except for this year, Duke has never been described as "physical." It's very hard to describe Duke as a finesse team that commits fouls like crazy. That doesn't compute. However, I will grant that they are a smart team that pushes the limits as much as they can, which I think is what everyone wants their team to do.

I dunno. It seems a lot to me like how everyone called the Malone-Stockton Jazz teams dirty. Were they particularly physical? No, but everyone thought they "push{ed} the limits as much as they {could}"

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-06-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #2500
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I quickly remembered why I don't watch women's basketball. Traveling, double dribbles and the athleticism of Jr high Boys basketball.

12 points at half? Where you at UConn?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote